CHAPTER 49

➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

"Melo, are you sure you saw a rebel's hovercraft? What if it's a Capitol's one?" Angel asked in a low tone, clasping her weapon tightly as they walked next to the walls, being careful not to be detected.

"Angel? Melo?" Ron said out loud, revealing his hiding spot as he came out to meet his two children. "You're alive," he breathed out, not believing his eyes.

"Ron!" Both siblings cried happily, running to him almost desperately.

"Where's your mother? And Theo and Annie?" Ron asked, hugging his children as they laughed through their tears. It was a mix of relief and the accumulated stress being released, which made them practically break down at the moment.

"They're fine. They're hiding in the forest." Melo replied, letting go of the hug as he noticed Katniss' presence right beside them. "So that's why you're here. A pleasure to meet you, Katniss. I'm Melo Ogilvy, and this is my older sister, Angelique Ogilvy."

"Nice to meet you, Katniss. You can just call me Angel or Angie for short if you want. We're part of the rebels. Oh, yeah, where's Dove and the rest? Are they in Thirteen? I'm dying to see her after this entire month. We've got so many things to tell her. Living in the woods is not as easy as one would think, you know." Angel commented, her grin fading as she got no reply. "Ron? The rest are in Thirteen, right?"

"They are, except Dove. She was not rescued. The Capitol got her along with Peeta. I'm so sorry." Ron replied, guilt clear in his voice. Angel's smile completely disappeared, taking deep breaths to not lose it right there.

"What do you mean she's not in Thirteen? She was supposed to be the rebellion's songbird! Why did they not get her out?" Melo shouted, not caring about any reply as his sister clenched onto his shirt, hugging him desperately as she cried. "Let's go to look for the rest first. Let's get them to safety before doing anything stupid." He whispered, stroking his sister's hair as Ron looked sadly at the scene.

Katniss could only add the siblings to the list of the people she owed. She had taken their sister from them. Left her behind in the Capitol to let them torture her, trying to get information she didn't have.

"The real question is, what can you do for those who trust you?" Ron's words echoed in her mind. Was there something she could do for them? Nothing in this world would get Dove out of the Capitol, much less if they used her as bait for Finnick and the rest.

So, what could I possibly do? Katniss wondered as she followed the two siblings to the spot where the other victors hid.

It was a fair surprise when the hovercraft came back to Thirteen. No one expected to see the District Four victors appear as unexpectedly as they had disappeared. Delia received them happily, which had been another surprise. Some Capitol rebels had been brought during the confusion, and Delia and Ohan were part of them.

At first, Delia got a hard time fitting in. No wigs, no flashy colours, no extravagant make-up. Nothing was as she was used to. However, her anger towards the Capitol, her own home, made her forget about her differences with the rebels and only see her similarities. "My good God, you're all alive! We weren't sure!" She cried, hugging all the disappeared as they stepped down from the hovercraft.

"Good to see you too, Delia," Librae muttered, trying to show as much happiness as she could. Ron had just told them exactly what had happened the month they had been hiding from the Capitol while trying to get to Thirteen. Dove held in the Capitol with Peeta. No Mockingjay. And a war with no clear winner yet.

"Where's Rhett?" Theo asked desperately. Delia told him the number "308" just next to Katniss' family, where all District Four mentors had agreed to live together. Now, things would go differently for sure.