CHAPTER 36

➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

Dove stared at herself in the mirror, two years had passed since her first annual visit to the Capitol. That year, in the 70th Hunger Games, her mentoring alongside Finnick, Mags and Rhett achieved to get Annie Cresta, a sweet eighteen year old girl, back home as a Victor.

However, not everything worked out perfectly, since Annie's mental stability was extremely fragile. After seeing her district partner being beheaded in front of her, she spent the rest of her days in the Arena hidden as she managed to stay alive. Since there were no deaths and barely anything thrilling happened, the Gamemakers created an earthquake to entertain the audience.

Dove wasn't sure if it was intended or not, but the dam in the Arena broke, flooding everything and causing Annie to use her advantage as a District Four person to survive. By the way the girl's Victor tour went, there was no need to worry about any deals with President Snow. No one paid much attention to the mentally unstable District Four Victor.

While changing to her Capitol clothes before leaving to her third annual visit, Dove analysed herself. As usual, the clothes were black, but there was something off. They usually covered a great part of her body, only leaving her arms and sometimes neck visible. Now, her skirt wasn't as long as it usually was, since this time it reached her knees, and she wore a peplum top that barely reached her clavicles. 

Ohan had gifted her a pair of shoes for her first annual visit, which she had continued to wear since then. They were plain black, with sea-green shoelaces. She liked the shoes a lot. However, the laces were so long that she had to double-knot them, which, without realising, became a habit.

The outfit he sent barely had any of her usual innocent approach. Once she reached the Capitol, she would have to ask him about it. Ohan would never do that on his own accord. Dove guessed he knew what being seductive meant for the Victors inside the Capitol, because of how reluctant he was about dressing her in that manner. Apart from the occasional pitiful glances he gave to the rest of the Victors.

A note came with the clothes, telling her to tie her hair in ponytail or a braid, whichever she preferred. That was another weird thing, for years she had let her hair down, allowing it to reflect her innocence and young age. But now that she was seventeen, almost eighteen, it seemed not to be important anymore. 

President Snow must be regretting the entire 'innocent and unique' play I'm displaying to the Capitol. Dove thought, grabbing a hair tie in her hand before walking downstairs, where her sister and Annie were. Earlier, Annie had come to say goodbye while in tears, and Angel offered to guide her to the living room to calm her down.

"How are you doing Annie?" Dove asked, approaching the sofa where the two girls were sitting on as she played around with the hair tie in her hand. Her friend seemed much better, an extraordinary situation since barely anyone could calm her down during her panic attacks. 

At first, only Finnick or Dove could do it. But when Annie met Angel, it seemed their worlds changed and became one, where they were alone in their own fantasies. It was always tender to see Annie happy in her older sister's arms, but she felt a bit sad that she could no longer help her as she once did.

"Much better," Annie muttered, turning around to face her friend while grasping Angel's hand tightly. The scene almost melted Dove's heart, although it also annoyed her that the two hadn't confessed yet. They weren't an official couple, however, they were just as cute as an actual one. It's unfair. They're going to give me a heart attack one day from all this cuteness. She thought.

"Where's Romeo?" Angel asked, glancing to her little sister, who continued to play around with the hair tie in her hand. "Do you need me to tie your hair?" She added, getting a nod from Dove.