CHAPTER 19

➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

It was nighttime, and everyone was either in the living room or in their own chambers. Dove's mother and Ohan had allowed her to do a brief tour alone through the tower. And the roof was her first stop. She wanted to breathe fresh air after that morning's stress.

The view of the Capitol was mesmerising. The light was everywhere, and the noises never stopped. Cars, people, televisions. . . Nothing was like in her home. Even though she was from a Career District, they weren't the richest. Of course, it was much better than other districts like Eleven or Twelve.

Looking at the edge, she wondered why would they let her up here unsupervised. What if she or any of the tributes jumped to the side?

"There's a force field that pushes back anyone who tries to jump. That's why they let you up here alone." Dove knew that voice perfectly. Turning around, she met Finnick's eyes, who had a playful grin on his face.

"Well. Hello again, stalker." She joked. Finnick always appeared whenever she needed him, or just popped out of nowhere randomly.

"It doesn't look much like home, huh?" He asked rhetorically. "Come on, I'll show you the garden," he added. Dove followed him until she found herself staring at flower beds and potted trees. That was the garden.

Finnick guided her to a tree, motioning her to sit with him under it. The wind was loud enough to not let anyone hear them talking.

"Melo just questioned me about what's going on between you and me. I told him I barely know you or talk to you, but he didn't seem convinced. I think he's going to interrogate you as well. Good luck." The situation was getting complicated. "Do you think we should tell him about why Snow lets us meet. . . and everything else?" Finnick added.

"No, it will only get him in danger. And President Snow clearly stated he wanted to tell them himself. I guess he'll be telling you sooner or later. We really haven't been too careful." Dove replied. They had to do something about the situation quickly.

If her brother had noticed, her mother would do too. Maybe even Mags. She couldn't put so many people in danger. Angel! Dove thought. Her sister would be with Muscida during the Games. But staying at a Victor's house hadn't helped Dove during Melo's tour.

"Dove! You're hyperventilating." Finnick caught her attention. She tried to slow her breath, but her anxiety got the best of her. "Dove, look at me. OK. Now, a deep breath in, and a deep breath out."

As she mimicked him, her breathing became steady again. Finnick always helped her when she suffered from panic attacks, and now she wasn't used to calming them by herself. She would have to be careful in the Arena to not get one of those.

"I'm OK, I'm OK," Dove repeated that constantly after her panic attacks. It was a way of reassuring both Finnick and herself.

"Of course you are. How about we go to sleep? You'll feel better after that." The topic change was needed, but it wasn't effective at that moment. Dove was way too deep into her thoughts to hear him. Many probabilities filled her mind, but one was more powerful than the others.

"What if I die in the Arena?" Dove muttered. "What?" Finnick replied, hoping he had heard wrong.

"If I die in the Arena, he has to keep Angel safe. There won't be anyone else to threaten all of you with. He can't kill her and let you refuse his deal. As long as I die, he'll have to keep her alive. . ." Finnick looked at her, frightened. Not long ago, Dove had confessed to him she was afraid to die, and now she herself was telling him that.