CHAPTER 21

➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

"Ready for tonight?" Ohan asked. All the crew had left, only him and Dove were left in the room. "Sincerely? Not really. I can totally see myself losing my temper in front of all Panem if they ask one single stupid question." She replied, looking at her painted scales on her forearm.

"Who would you not lose your temper with?" he asked. To Dove, it sounded like a playful insult. She lost her temper with almost everyone. "The prep crew, because I control myself, and you. Everyone else I know, I've snapped at them at least once."

"Then answer the questions as if I was asking them myself. It will be easier for you not to snap," he commented playfully. "OK, but I promise nothing," Dove answered with a snicker.

Once they were in the elevator on the way to where the interviews took place, Dove inspected her district partner. He was going for the sexy choice again. She had to say Kala, his stylist, did a good job in her own way, too.

All the tributes were positioning themselves in a straight line, from District One to Twelve, first the girl, then the boy. Just before entering the stage to take their places, Dove caught Finnick mouthing something to her. You will do great. She mouthed a quick thanks, before going up the stairs and walking to her seat.

Caesar Flickerman jumped to the stage with his new orange-coloured hair. As always, he told some jokes to prepare the audience before introducing the girl from One. Surprisingly for Dove, the interviews from One to the boy from Three passed by in the blink of an eye.

Dove heard her name being called, and she walked to the centre of the stage, shaking Caesar's hand once she was there. "Now, Dove. I have to say there are no words to express how much I have been dying to meet you since your brother's Games. Weren't you too, folks?" Fuck. Caesar, you're making it difficult for me not to spit on your face. Dove thought.

OK, OK. Find Ohan and calm down. Dove repeated in her mind, her eyes wandering around the place where the stylist stood, finding him almost immediately.

"So I have to say it's a pleasure to have you here. Let's start with your score. An eight! For someone as tiny and delicate as you, it's really impressive!" he said. "Thank you, Caesar," Dove replied.

"Tell us about your strengths. After all, how are you going to manage with your illness?" he asked. His tone was truly concerned, or so it seemed to her. "I'm afraid I can't reveal that right now, Caesar." It's not like I can tell you I will give a fuck about my illness once I'm in the Arena.

"A mysterious girl, I see. Then, tell us about your opening ceremony. I have to say you looked breathtaking! What was the concept?" he asked, sparing excited glances at the audience.

"My stylist, Ohan, compared me with two powerful women, a mermaid who gave everything for love and Salacia, the personification of the calm and sunlit aspect of the sea. Or as I remember her, the Goddess of the sea." Dove explained. "Basically, my outfit's concept was a mix between these inspiring women into a sole being."

"That sounds just like you! I get the calm and sunlit part of your outfit. I mean, look at her hair! It's shimmering!" Caesar announced, astonished. Dove looked down at her braid, not understanding. And she saw it. The stones in her hair were shimmering thanks to the light. The more spotlight she got, the more colours it reflected.

"But, about the mermaid? I guess we would be right in assuming that what sparked that idea was your volunteering for your sister in the reaping. Can you tell us about it?"

"Well, that day, when I heard my sister's name, it was like the world had shut off. I heard nothing but my thoughts." To her explanation, Caesar nodded. Everyone was getting serious, and soon everything was silent.