CHAPTER 17

➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

"So, baby girl, what do we do about the mentor situation?" her district partner said. Baby girl? For real? You're disgusting. Dove thought. Even so, she let it go, raising an eyebrow in confusion.

"What mentor situation?" she asked, trying to not insult him as she spoke. The boy took a strand of her hair, twirling it around his finger.

"Well, there are four mentors and two of us. So, I have a little deal for you." He said Dove's trigger word, deal. She hated that word, it only reminded her of President Snow threatening her sister's life. 

"If you're a good girl, I'll convince the Careers to keep you alive for one night in the Arena. Of course, for this to happen, I'll be taking Finnick and Melo as my personal mentors," he said.

Oh, God. You're playing President Snow's game perfectly, and you don't even know it. Dove thought, fighting the urge to smirk back at him. She had to act like an authentic scaredy-cat.

"Then I'll take my mum and Mags as my mentors, right? You have to keep your word. You'll let me live!" He let go of her hair with a light chuckle. And as he was about to exit the room, he replied. 

"Yeah, yeah. But remember, it's only for a night. Well, goodnight!" And just like that, he left the room. His cocky attitude was getting unbearable for Dove.

"Goodnight, sucker," finally she could laugh at him. He thought she had bought that nonsense? No one in their right mind would.

"I'll let you live as long as you don't practice with weapons. Oh, look at me! I'm so scared! Please don't kill me with your stupidity! Goddammit, this idiot, he's going to get himself killed," she said out loud.

It was a good thing Delia had left earlier, and the only people remaining in the room were the Victors and her. Hearing a loud cough, she turned around. Everyone was looking at her with puzzled looks. Her mother tried to say something before Dove cut her.

"Don't say language. He deserved it." Her mother only nodded, not knowing what to reply. Mags was the first to leave the room, as if nothing had happened. The next one was her mother, who kissed her children's forehead before exiting.

"Are we honestly going to ignore how she just snapped?" Melo said out loud. Finnick looked at him with a smirk, before looking at her the same way.

"Yes. Yes, we are," he told Melo, before heading out to his own room. Leaving an amused Dove, and a still confused Melo.

"Whenever you finish processing this, tell me. I'll go to sleep. Goodnight, love you," she told him, exiting the room to her own chamber.

As midnight approached, Dove didn't know whether she should go to Finnick's room or not. It wasn't Victor's Village. They weren't relatively safe. Anyone could walk on them together, and the Capitol would not shut up about it forever. 

She knew Finnick's room was right next to hers, which only contributed to her theory that President Snow had planned that all along. Taking her rope out of her pocket, she continued with the knot from that morning as someone entered her room.

At first, she thought it was her brother, wanting to talk about earlier, so she didn't even bother to look at him. It wasn't until they sat next to her that she realised. That wasn't her brother.

Scared, she glanced at the person. Once she saw the sea-green eyes of Finnick, she sighed, relaxing visibly immediately after.

"Goddammit, Finnick. You scared me to death. I thought you were that douche-bag." Dove felt her heart still beating as fast as before. It was taking her a great deal to calm herself down.