CHAPTER 9

➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

From that day onwards, Dove felt closer to Finnick. They met up at the beach almost every day and made small-talk about their day. It was their secret place, where they could explain almost everything in their mind. 

Of course, their true thoughts about the games or the life of the Victors couldn't be discussed. None of them knew if there were cameras around or even if the whole beach was monitored. Maybe President Snow had been watching every little move they did without them knowing.

Dove couldn't risk Finnick's safety or the safety of his loved ones, and he thought the same for her. Weeks passed by in a blink of an eye, and the Victory tour arrived. President Snow sent a letter days before Melo's departure, explaining how delightful it would be for the Capitol to see mother and son together as victors. 

The content may have looked like a request, but everyone knew better than that. President Snow wanted to separate the family, which worried both mother and son. Melo wondered if he had done anything to upset the President, but nothing came to mind.

It was quickly decided that both sisters would spend the days of the Victory tour in Mag's house. It wouldn't help much to protect them, but it would be more difficult to harm them there than if they stayed back in their empty home. 

Things got worse when President Snow requested Ron Stafford to join. He explained in the letter that two female victors and one young male victor would look unbalanced, so his idea was for Ron to join in. Leaving only the three oldest District Four Victors back in Victor's Village. Everyone suspected this, but no one could go against the President's wishes.

Her family worried to a point where they considered Mags to drop both girls to school and pick them up. Dove understood they were concerned about the situation, but that was crossing the line. Mags had her own life, she didn't have to babysit two teens. Living with them would be enough if none of the victors offended President Snow, and if they offended him. . . Not even being with Mags all day long would help them escape death.

Once the day before the Victory Tour ended, Dove went to the beach to meet with Finnick. They didn't want to stay until late, but the meeting was necessary for them. Both knew there was a slight chance they wouldn't see each other again. 

Most of the time there, they either made small talk or reassured each other. Until it was time to go back home. As always, Finnick would walk her to her doorstep, watching her enter her house before going to his own. But Dove had a different idea. 

After wishing him goodnight, she gave him a hug. Patting slightly, his back four times. He reciprocated the hug and ran his hand through her bushy hair, getting tangled up almost immediately.

"I think your hair doesn't want me to go," he commented teasingly. Both teenagers laughed, and Dove helped him get his hand out of her hair. 

"I'll see you tomorrow," she said, more to reassure herself than informing him. "Yeah. See you tomorrow," he replied. She entered her home, sighing once the door was closed. She wasn't good at goodbyes.

When she woke up the next day, her house was full of prep people. Some were her mum's, others were her brother's. She only knew she didn't want them there. One of District's Four stylists was crying his eyes out, saying how it was his last year styling for them, how he would miss them, on and on. 

That meant next year there would be a new stylist for District Four. Another idiot who will dress us like fishes. Yey. Dove thought sarcastically, grinding her teeth. She went to the kitchen and ate breakfast as she stared at the scene that was happening in the living room.