CHAPTER 34

➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

Finally, it was the last party before Dove could return to District Four. However, it was in President Snow's mansion's banquet room, which wasn't as pleasant. The twelve-metre ceiling had been transformed into the night sky, similar to the one she saw on Four's beach.

Halfway between the ceiling and the floor, musicians floated around on platforms similar to white clouds. In the centre of the room, there was a large tiled area, sometimes used as a dance floor, others as a stage for performers, and even both at the same time.

During the night, many people approached Dove. Some congratulated her, others kissed her cheeks, and, the worst for her, some expressed their admiration for her victory. Trying to get the stares from herself, she walked to her brother, who was helping himself to the banquet food.

"Hey," Dove exhaled tiredly. She hadn't had a break since she got to the party. Some people would approach her with the most respect and congratulate her with their masked condolences for Alder's death. Others would start a conversation out of the blue and offer her a drink. Thankfully, her mother or Mags were always near her to remind them she was still fourteen.

"How's the new Victor doing?" Melo asked teasingly, showing her the plate of food he had just filled. Delia prohibited Dove from eating a lot, which meant nothing at all. Capitol food was delicious. That was exactly why everyone ended up eating too much, and she was not permitted to do that.

"Tired and hungry. And when I'm hungry, I get angry. So I'm hangry," she replied bitterly.

"Hangry? Really?" he commented with a grin. Looking around, he made sure neither Delia nor the crew was looking to pass his sister a meatball discreetly, which she took gratefully. "Better?" she nodded in reply, chewing the meatball as fast as she could so as not to get caught.

"Purposely going against Delia's advice? Who would think little Miss Perfect would have a rebellious phase?" Finnick commented as he approached the two siblings. Dove had to work hard not to let her expression show how badly she wanted to laugh at his outfit.

"Well, contrary to you, Odair, I know when to stop my rebelliousness," Dove spoke up, keeping her calm and collected face in check. She couldn't show any type of emotions, much less during a conversation with Finnick inside the Capitol. "To what do we owe the pleasure of your company?"

"As polite as ever, Ogilvy. I just came because many people were asking me about you. And, of course, as the great mentor I am, I told them to follow me to introduce them to you," he said, pointing behind himself where two middle-aged men stood.

"I see. Then your job here is done, right?" Dove looked into his eyes. He didn't want to leave her, much less with those two men, but he had to continue with his Capitol character. At least he waited until she was with Melo to introduce them to her.

"Yes, I believe my job here is over. If you excuse me, I'll go eat something," Finnick said, winking an eye at her discreetly, which almost made Dove gasp. I'm so going to get revenge on you, Finnick. She thought.

The two men stepped forward, presenting themselves before doing small-talk. Dove answered as cheerfully as her Capitol character allowed her. Melo, who observed the interaction and joined from time to time, left the plate on the table to ask his sister for a dance.

In the middle of the dance floor, the music was slow. Few people were around, and the camera crew was distracted at one table. It was the perfect moment to ask about the abrupt dance.

"What happened?" Dove asked in a whisper. "Why the sudden dance?" she added, looking at the troubled expression her brother had.

"They were staring at you too much. Their eyes were the same as those watching the roasted pig over there," he replied, his eyes pointing to the table where there was a gigantic pig. Many people were around, almost drooling at the sight.