Chapter 19 - Internship Request

Katsuki glanced at the time on his phone before looking back up to the panting green head that just ran up to him.
"You're fucking late nerd. If we don't hurry, we'll miss the train" Katsuki hissed, grabbing his arm and dragging him with him.
"I-I... I'm so sorry!" Izuku panted, still trying to catch his breath as he stumbled behind Kacchan.

They were able to step on the train moments before the doors closed and Izuku instantly fell down in an empty seat.
"Care to explain why you left me waiting like that?" Katsuki asked, sitting down next to him. Izuku was normally never late... Katsuki didn't want to admit it, but this worried him a little bit.
"I'm sorry, I overslept" Izuku sighed.

"How the hell do you sleep in with your chaotic family? They make a ruckus from the moment the sun rises" Katsuki said, not buying that lameass excuse.
"Ah, well, guess I was really tired huh..." Izuku sighed, giving Katsuki a weak smile.
"I, uh, I went to bed late last night... It's my own fault, sorry"
"What the hell are you doing up late? Lost track of time while working on your notes or some shit?" Katsuki asked, raising a brow.

"Something like that" Izuku shrugged, yawning before leaning against Katsuki's shoulder, his eyes slowly falling shut. The ash blonde rolled his eyes at that, letting out a sigh but not doing anything about it. Izuku was glad for Kacchan's compassion. He didn't want to tell him about the real reason he stayed up so late. The fact he could establish some sort of contact with a shadow of his dad's consciousness was strangely fascinating... Yet still so fucking weird.

Izuku wasn't always able to establish a connection and he wasn't able to hold onto it for very long. His record was about half a minute. Izuku had no idea whether that was long or short... He didn't exactly have a benchmark, you know?
"Oi, come on, we're here" Katsuki mumbled, shaking Izuku a little as their train arrived. Izuku hummed, standing up and following his friend outside, walking with him to school like he did every day.

"So have you looked into your internship yet? Narrowed it down a bit?"
"Oh, uh, no, I haven't really thought about it" Izuku sighed. Katsuki frowned at that, thinking that was all the nerd would be able to think about after their conversation about it yesterday.
"Have you looked into Mirko?"
"Yeah, she's pretty cool, I'll probably go with her" Katsuki shrugged, but Izuku could see he was actually really happy to be able to intern under her.

The fact she even requested him was special, seeing as she didn't take on many interns.
"You should make your choice soon nerd, only got until the end of the week"
"Yeah, yeah, I know" Izuku chuckled as Kacchan teased him about it. The two of them walked inside the school building, chatting about random things, before Aizawa stopped Izuku in his tracks.

"Midoriya, this came in for you" he sighed, handing the green head an envelope.
"It's a request for an internship"
"Really? They can still come in? I thought all requests were already processed?" Izuku asked, confused, hesitantly taking it.
"Some strings were pulled to get this one through" Aizawa muttered.

"You don't seem very happy about that... Why? Who is this from?" Katsuki asked, frowning at their homeroom teacher.
"...One of All Might's former mentors" Aizawa sighed, making Izuku's eyes widen.
"You can just throw it away if you like, but I'm obliged to hand it to you"
"Yeah, thanks..." Izuku breathed, looking down at the envelope as Aizawa walked away from them, going on about his business.

"You're not actually considering it, are you?" Katsuki asked, knowing the look Izuku was giving.
"W-what? Oh, no! N-no, no, no! I-I'll throw it away after class" Izuku quickly rambled, fumbling with the envelope as they entered the classroom. They both knew that was a lie, even though Katsuki didn't understand why Izuku was actually thinking about it.

All Might suspected him to be involved with All For One, right? He arranged this in order to keep a close eye on him... Maybe this was an opportunity for Izuku as well? A chance to prove himself, to lead them astray... If he could convince his former mentor that he was just a normal kid wanting to be a hero, maybe he could get All Might off his back as well? It could be the moment he'd been waiting for... He should talk to his father about this. To his actual father this time, not the voice in his mind.