coffee & cigarettes

"i'm back!", swinging the heavy door open, you stepped into your apartment and bathed in the sudden warmth, your glasses fogging up slightly. trudging your socked feet toward the living room you found a body spread along the length of the couch. "how was class?" the said being asked throwing a piece of a random sweet confectionery into her mouth.

you eyed the room, seeing the floor covered in a wide assortment of snacks, ranging from biscuits that you swore were stale, to an almost empty pack of halloumi fries. you looked back up to the couch and glared at your friend and she wiped her greasy face, giving you a cheesy grin as she sat up. "i promise i'll clean up blue, you just go and freshen up." you sighed once again, making your way to your room, shouting out a five-minute time limit for the culprit to clean up.

you undressed, opting to put on your cosy pyjamas for a lazy lounge day before laying down on your bed and scrolling through instagram and replying to the odd message from your overly excited little sister.

she had become infatuated with the fact that it was your birthday month and you'd finally become an adult. definitely not because you'd finally get your soul names.

"blue, hurry up! i'll watch the new singles inferno episode without you!" your roommate teased. you screamed a multitude of profanities at your so-called best friend as you left the room and crashed down beside her.

halfway through the episode you noticed that your company seemed slightly unnerved, and an inconclusive expression displayed on her face. "hyemi, what's wrong?" she looked surprised for a few seconds and you could see the cogs turning in her mind as she searched for an excuse. "nothing, it's just soyeon is so fucking cute i can't!" hyemi forced a smile before turning back to the screen, the shifting lights illuminating her face.

you weren't stupid, you knew she was lying, she had been for around seven months. you knew your best friend inside out- as expected as you had been friends for a solid four and a half years- becoming conjoined at the hip at the ripe age of twelve despite the language barrier. you had both figured out communicating through gestures at the beginning of your friendship, before giving up and deciding to give each other languages lessons.

"i'm going for a quick smoke." hyemi sauntered away, her luminous brown locks tousling behind her.

"i told you to quit, mimi."

"and i told you, i'm gonna die at some point anyway." you chuckled softly at her remark, being reminded of her valid yet illogical response that she had countered each time you nagged her.

not long after being sucked back into your oh-so-entertaining show, you felt the vibration of a mobile device, quickly checking the name displayed on the electronic before answering.

"hey john, mi just stepped out for a bit, how are things going?"

"everything's just peachy, blue." he sighed out. the poor man had been stressed out; having hyemi for a soulmate was quite the task and the younger felt for him as she had also had to deal with the chaotic nineteen-year-old for years.

"there's something she's not telling me and it's concerning me because i know she's not cheating, i would have felt it by now. i'd rather her be cheating than have me going through this stress. i even had to dye my hair because i have too many grey hairs!"

you let a hearty laugh, clutching onto your stomach as the male spewed his concerns.

"i know how it is johnny, she's hiding something, but she'll tell us voluntarily when she's comfortable; i've tried to pry but she locked me out. literally. i was frozen 'cuz it was fucking snowing."

it was now hyemi's boyfriends turn to laugh, the sound waves ticking your eardrums.

"what are you two laughing about?" your roommate returned to her seat, snatching the phone away from your hands.

"oh, nothing." you retorted, wrapping your arms around her torso and resting your head on her shoulders. you inhaled, your senses being clouded with the thick scent of coffee and cigarettes as you nuzzled further into her neck, basking in the warm feeling spreading within your chest at the familiar fragrance and touch.

you looked up, examining hyemi's features; from her glowing pale skin that contrasted your honey-brown skin and to her big brown eyes layered with thick lashes that gave her a sultry look.

"stop staring, freak." you felt a palm on your face, pushing you backwards, but you refused to release your grip, pulling hyemi down with you as you fell.

"blue!" you were both enveloped in giggles, as you rolled around on the carpeted floor, hyemi wheezing slightly.

"i've got to finish my homework, can i borrow your chemistry notes?" you inquired, without failing to gently slap hyemi on the head.

"yeah sure, they're on my desk!" she shouted as you turned the corner to her room.

searching beneath a pile of doodles and a tremendous amount of doctor's notes, you found the workbook and retreated to your room to begin.

hyemi sighed heavily, her smile dropping once you were out of her vision. she let out a chesty cough which tore away at her throat before tasting something warm and metallic. she made her way to the bathroom sink, releasing the crimson liquid from her mouth.

she looked up, seeing her pasty reflection in the mirror and forced a big smile with blood-stained teeth on display.

"it's gonna be ok. it's all gonna be great, hyemi."

leaving the bathroom after rinsing her mouth, she grabbed the now cold coffee that rested on the table and sat on the floor of the balcony, looking through the gaps between the railing with flaking black paint, at the vibrant world below.

she lit a cigarette, breathing in deeply as she felt her stress melt away, humming in delight.

"coffee and cigarettes. just beautiful." she chuckled lightly, redirecting her attention to a murder of crows perched on a building opposite, staring into their beady raven eyes.

♤ ♧ ♢ ♡