pompeii & waterfalls

it was a beautiful saturday morning; birds singing in the sky, the clouds blending effortlessly into the blue hues. spring was creeping in gradually, the biting weather only present in the early hours, fading once the sun came up.

on this saturday, you'd gotten up early, surprisingly, shuffling around the apartment aimlessly, waiting for hyemi to finish up.

today you were going to visit your parents. to go visit home. it had been quite some time since you went back, though it was only december when you visited. you'd missed your bouncy little sister and playful parents. well, your dad was playful, not too sure on your mothers.

"blue, did you steal my earrings?" hyemi shouted, the sound echoing.

"no, i think johnny did. i saw him playing dress up in your room the other day."

"that bitch," she cursed after gasping dramatically.

"are you ready to go?"

hyemi just made a random noise that sounded almost prehistoric in response which caused you to quirk your brow, "i'll take that as a yes?"

and with that we were skipping down the stairs, conversing readily about nonsense, courtesy of the brown haired woman.

upon reaching the beautiful outdoors you took in a deep breath, eyes squinting in the radiant sun, trying to adjust. your roommate had already sped off, beelining for her soft pink car. you tailed after her, tutting lightly as you watched her dance her way through the carpark, feet moving erratically.

in a heartbeat, music was blaring and your best friend was screeching vulgar lyrics to the song playing, causing you to fold over laughing before joining in at the chorus.

you loved road trips with hyemi. sure she was a motor accident waiting to happen, but that just added to the thrill of the adventure.

soon enough you were cruising on the asphalt, vocal cords gradually becoming fried due to the volume you maintained during your 'carpool karaoke.'

the drive was over before you knew it; hyemi knew the fastest route like the back of her hand and time had sped by as you were thoroughly entertained.

pulling in the driveway you felt your nerves spike. you loved your family whole heartedly, but spending too much time with them could put you through hell. currently, you were nervous about informing them about your newfound soulmates, though it was inevitable.

the building was small and cozy, big enough to house the five of you when you still resided there. you felt slightly at ease when looking at it, familiarity washing over you and subsiding your nerves.

"mum!" you heard hyemi shout, turning your head to see her enveloping your mama in a warm hug.

"my, my hyemi, how i've missed you! have you been well?" your mama asked, pulling the pale woman away from her body and looking up at her, eyes wrinkling at the corners.

"i've been great, mum!"

"that's good, come on in," she ushered hyemi in, patting her on her bottom as she stepped over the threshold before turning to look at you, "oh, my baby! my sweet child!"

"hi, mama," you smiled sweetly, eyes sparkling as you looked down at the woman. she was absolutely tiny and precious in your eyes, how she pushed out someone much larger than her still baffled you. she pulled you in a tight hug, not wanting to let go, allowing you to drink in all of her love.

she eventually released her grip, using an aged hand to rub your cheek before tugging on your wrists and drawing you inside.

in the living room you found hyemi already discussing with your parents, your younger sister tapping away at her phone.