Happy Birthday

Disclaimer: I don't own dune.

Y/n's POV:

Once we had finished lunch Jessica told me and Paul to get to sleep reasonably early tonight as it was his birthday tomorrow.  

"Why didn't you tell me it was almost your birthday?" I asked on the verge of tears. I knew that I couldn't have but somehow I felt that I could have known.

"You were really ill baby, I didn't want to put pressure on you to get better for a certain day because somehow I don't think the added stress would help much." He laughed slightly before kissing my temple. 

"But I didn't get you anything!" I complained

"Yes you did" he said with a warm smile "You gave me the best Birthday present ever, You agreed to marry me" He said smiling at me and taking the hand that bore my ring and kissing each of my figures.  As he did something occurred to me and I smiled. 

"I need a minuet. I know what I'm getting you for your birthday!" I said with a huge smile. 

"You don't need to do that," he yelled after me but I was already gone.

I dashed down to my bed only realizing as I did that it probably wouldn't be mine for much longer, oh well, no matter. I reached the bed and found the loose flaw bored underneath fishing out a couple of books that Paul had written in the edges of, sketches I had done of us, or him, or the garden and lastly every note he had ever given me. 

I replaced the books then I moved to my bedside cabinet putting out a scrap of leather and a punch binder then placing all of the paper so it fitted neatly inside the book, reorganizing it a couple of times to get it perfect, then punched it together so that it formed a small book. 

I dashed through to the kitchen to ask Mary who I had seen in there if she had any wrapping paper and she provided me with a square of brown paper which she had illustrated with the words happy birthday in a never ending chain. 

She then let me know that she and the others would be at Paul's birthday celebration tomorrow and I said I looked forwards to seeing her there. I ended up spending another hour or two in the kitchen helping with the baking, an activity that had always brought me joy, and chatting with the other girls about their plans for their day of and how well the flowers were growing this year. Around dinner Paul came downstairs to see what was going on and all six of us (Mary, Camilla, Mia, Ben ,Paul and I) Went into the communal lounge to eat laugh and in the case of Camilla and Ben be completely humiliated in every game of chess they attempted to play. 

"It's getting late," I yawned at about 10:30 "I'm gonna go to bed."

There was a chorus of me too's and we all went our respective ways. Mia and Ben now had a shared room since the baby was on it's way, Mary returned to the girls wing along with Camilla who muttered something about missing Duncan and being glad that he was back from where ever he had gone tonight for tomorrow. Lastly Paul and and I headed to our shared  room in the floors above and soon we were asleep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Happy birthday!" I shouted causing Paul to jerk awake and laughed as I danced across the room holding a tray holding a breakfast I had made earlier and competed with my present for him.

I set the tray down on his lap and he pulled me in over it for a kiss and, after we broke apart he whispered "best birthday ever"

"You haven't even opened your present yet" I said rolling off of his lap to lie beside him in bed and chucking his present at his chest. He chuckled and kissed the side of my head before folding back the paper to reveal the book inside. "Open it" I said.