Danny

We all piled into the Nash and hightailed it across town to a little bungalow on the edge of the canyon.  I knew Danny from running into him on the streets, at a party, or someone's house where partying was taking place, which is not the same thing.  He was well known about town as a kat who had the connection. He was the man who knew the man who knew the man and was also known as a man who could hold his chemicals as well as his tongue.

        The house was well back from the dirt road we came in on and the light glowed dimly through the front room window, flickering as if a TV was on.  Worm parked about 20 yards from the door and told us to wait in the car because he wasn't really supposed to bring people here.  He said, "people" as if he was saying "assholes" sarcastically. He shut off the headlights and it was suddenly very dark and very quiet as we heard him shuffle up to the door and knock three times, then five times before the door came open a crack and the TV light shined through like a line in the darkness.

        'Do you know this guy Merrill?" Asked Michelle

        "I've seen him around, he knows who I am."

        'I think I should have stayed home, I don't like this place"

        "It will be fine but you might have to wait in the car."

        'I ain't waiting in this creepy old car out here in the dark while you guys go into that creepy fuck'n house and talk to some weirdo acidhead about your creepy head on your creepy lap, fuck that buddy, either I go in or you take me home!"

        "Don't get your panties in a bunch, calm down, we don't need you freaking him out. He's a little jumpy, just chill the fuck out!" I whispered so they didn't hear us arguing.

        'Just shuooosh, Pleeeease!"

        With that, she didn't say another word but she reached over and grabbed my hand and squeezed a little tighter than I thought was casual. I realized then she was in over her head and put my arm around her and kissed her on the cheek.

        'I promise nothing bad will happen...OK? I won't leave you alone, it's a little too late to take you home. I don't think Worm would have let you come if it was a problem."

        'Promise?" She said

        "I promise, you just stay next to me and everything will be fine."

        "Look, he's waving for us to come."

        We crawled out of the Nash and made our way to the door. Danny was there to greet us and introductions were made and the traditional five-way hand shakes were done.

        "Well come on in, Mi casa is su casa."

        It was a single room with a counter that separated the tiny kitchen from the main room. There was a double mattress thrown on the floor in the corner with a worn out couch and a small coffee table with a big water pipe that looked like a tree sitting on it. The place smelled of pot and old socks with a measure of patchouli incense thrown in for good measure.  I looked over at Michelle and she was stepping into the room like she was stepping on a pile of dog shit.     

        He had some old orange crates sitting on the other side of the coffee table that he waved at when telling us the have a seat.  There was also a green beanbag chair in the corner that Worm plopped himself into.  There was a Jimmy Hendrix poster and a Deep Purple poster on the wall behind the sofa and a Grateful Dead one on the bar that separated us from the kitchen.