SIX The Canyon

I always thought of the canyon as belonging to us. Big Tujunga Canyon , not to be confused with Little Tujunga Canyon, begins on Big Tujunga Canyon Road which began where Mount Gleason Ave, ended. 

       Big Tujunga Canyon Road runs past the first bridge for about seven miles where it ends at a T that's called Angeles Crest Highway, turn left you go forty miles to the high desert of Palmdale and beyond, turn right and you can go to the top of Mount Wilson where KTLA and several others have their broadcast towers and you can look out over Pasadena and all the way to the Pacific.

         The party kids, sidewalk commandos, bikers, and hippies believed the canyon was ours. Many a night was spent with alcohol and illicit drugs around a campfire, music playing from a car radio.  In the summer, there was Freeloader Falls where much cajoling and splashing about with naked hippy chicks might be your activity on a warm summer day. There were numerous campsites like Vogel Flats where normally,  nobody would bother you.

        So, where do three psychedelically minded nature boys like us go?  To our Canyon, of course.  We knew the winding roads and turnoffs like the backs of our hands and were less likely to get into any trouble driving while peaking.  I looked over at Dale and he had taken on a more sincere, determined attitude about driving. Hands at ten and two, good posture, staring straight ahead as the wipers seemed to work in unison to the Dark Side Of The Moon.

        He looked so intense, I had to stare as well to see what he was so inextricably drawn too.  The sound of the music and the slapping of the wipers, along with the rumble of the 312 V8 under the hood made for some mesmerizing effects, especially with this purple haze that seemed to surround us with a sort of density and air of magic.  

        "Dude?" I addressed Dale and it seemed as if he didn't hear me. I reached over and tapped him on the arm.

        "Hey, Dale!" A little louder this time

        He said, "What," Not taking his eyes off the road, almost mechanical.

        "Can I get one of those Kool's Pal?"

        "Sure" Still with both hands on the wheel. he reached down to turn down the music on the old eight track player. I can never figure out why we do that, like turning down the radio makes the car easier to control.  

        "OK, can I have one please?"

        "Take it out of my pocket if you want one," Still not turning his head.

        " I'm not digging in your pocket, maybe you better pull over, you don't look like you're having a good time, Dale."  I'm getting concerned now.

        "Look, man, it's raining outside and I don't know about you but that road out there seems to be moving to me and I know that's impossible because the last time I checked roads were not made out of red fucking ribbons or rattlesnake Hyde."  

              Steve pipes up from the back seat, I had forgotten he was there. " DALE!, Dude, you got to maintain brother, be cool!"

        "I'm just going to take us to Vogel Flats because I'm starting to peak, and then I really shouldn't be driving." Says Dale

        "Peaking? What the fuck is peaking? I was a little afraid now

        "It's the best part little dude, you'll see, don't get your panties in a knot."

       " SKREEEE!!!" 

        The car came to an immediate stop, Steve and I went hurtling forward and I hit my face hard on the metal and chrome dash. The slide sideways with the sound of tires scraping on the loose pavement scared the shit out of me. I put my hand to my head while Steve just went,

"Whoa!"

        I looked over to Dale,  just sitting there, hands on the wheel looking out of the windshield.  Nobody spoke, it was as if we all had to let what had just happened sink in. Finally, Dale started digging in his pocket and dug out the crinkled pack of Kools.

        "You wanted a cigarette?" he asked matter of factly, tossing me the pack.

        I was still rubbing my head but it didn't really hurt. I was gritting my teeth for no apparent reason as well, my jaws aching.  I stopped rubbing my noggin, picked up the ciggies and he sprung open his chrome Zippo with a "ching!"The flame was captivating as it lit up the pitch black interior. Patterns glistened off the chrome dashboard, lighting the car like a cathedral. "you gonna light it or what?" he said, I grabbed his wrist and pulled his flaming lightshow towards the tip of my ciggy. It was so bright I had to squint my eyes, I drew on the million niggers and It was even better than before, I inhaled deeply and felt the cooling effect in my lungs and didn't want to exhale.  Dale turned the big old steering wheel hard right and we proceeded down the narrow path. I recognized it as the way to Vogel Flats.  

        Then Dale turned off the headlights and all was blackness.