The Canyon

Sunland-Tujunga is built atop a hill Rising from the San Fernando Valley.  The bottom of this hill is Sunland while the top, the highest point in all of L.A. county is Tujunga. Right around the middle of these two is a street called Mount Gleason, named after a local mountain and a large land owner in the vast history of the area that happens to be the dividing point of the two bergs.

        If you are at the bottom you refer to the top as "uptown" and Sunland is "down the hill."  They don't have their own police department but are patrolled by the LAPD's Foothill Division which is located "out of town" in Sun Valley.  The cops refer to the place as "The Rock" and use it as a training ground for new hires, so many of the pigs we ran into were really green, fresh and young.  There were also the regulars whom we referred to by name, they knew most of the street urchins and troublemakers by their first names as well.  We had a certain respectful relationship with the old timer cops, almost as if they were part of the club, like players on the same stage.  Several of those guys were plain clothes who drove around in nondescript AMC Matadors draped in drab boring colors as part of "The Narcotics Division", we just called them Narcs.

        After we pulled away from Al's, we headed uptown. It had to be two or three in the morning and the unmuffled flat black lowriding Merc was very conspicuous in its lone trek up the rainy main drag.  We turned left on Mt. Gleason to get off of Foothill and the po-lice, drove to the end, past the junior high school we all went to and around the bend that takes you to, "The Canyon."