Stunned

Before we got out of the car at Michelle's house she grabbed my hand and said, "Look at me, Merrill Graves." so I did, her big blue eyes looking at me with a combination of concern and steely determination. "I love you, you know that right?" I nodded in agreement, "and you love me, Right?" It was as if she was making sure, as if we were preparing for battle and she needed to make sure we were on the same page.

"Yes," I said, "Of course I do, you know that." 

"Say it," she said

"I love you, Michelle, all the way, always will!" I said emphatically, tears forming in my eyes.

Tears were now running down her cheeks but her gaze held firm.

"so this thing were involved in, these ghosts and Jimmy and nightmares and all of it. We are in this together. I plan to be with you a long time and that starts now. No backing out, nothing is going to break us. I am with you all the way Merrill Graves, 100 percent, till the wheels falls off and the hubs get rusty, you got that?"

"Yes ma'am."

"It's me and you gonna beat this thing, every step of the way , I am not running away, I will not be scared off, I just want to make sure you are fully aware that I am not taking no for an answer, you got that? I want you to keep me close, I'm not about to give up on you in any way. I love you too much to let you go through this by yourself, Got it fucker, no fucking way, now kiss me you fool."

It was one very sloppy snotty tearful kiss and I felt so relieved, she must have known I was afraid I would scare her away. I held her fast and just began to cry in earnest on her shoulder. as we parted she sat up in her seat looking straight ahead and said,

"Ok...That's enough of that shit, let's have some dinner, oh and by the way, I think it's about time you meet my parents."

Once in the house I sat on the couch as she busied herself in the kitchen. I turned on the TV, anything to take my mind off all the madness our life had become. Archie Bunker was yelling Meatloaf, "You's guys has no idear what it's like to work for a living, Jeeeesh!"  I had to smile, as I tried to accept the idea of meeting her parents.

"What am I going to tell my parents?" I called out to Michelle.

She had made her way to the bedroom to change out of her work clothes. 

"I don't know, we'll have to talk about that."

It was just getting dark outside and I could smell something delicious wafting it's way from the kitchen. Then I heard music coming from the bedroom, sounding like the clock radio, Seals and Croft, "Hummingbird don't fly away, fly away."

"Merrill, would you come here please?"

I got up and went into the bedroom and there she was, completely nude laying on the bed.

I was stunned...