Twelve

Somehow, to my astonished amazement, some part of me found the door handle and opened the door, turning on the dome light and illuminating the car's interior. I just dived across the front seat, panting as if I had run a mile, my heart beating out of my chest.

        "So that was death." The voice of Adam West as Batman, The watcher, commented.

        "Yes sir, I'm afraid it was" I answered.

        "Am I freaking out?"

        "I'm afraid you are old chum."

        "No, I'm not, I'm not freaking out."

        "Of course, you are, there's nothing wrong with that is there" A chuckle in Batman's voice.

        "I don't want to freak out, I have to stay in control"

        "Well, perhaps you shouldn't have taken that acid then, haha."

        "I'm not freaking out; I can't freak out." A slight panic now.

        "Have it your way." The watcher answered.

        "I have to ponder this for a minute, was I just talking to myself. Was I actually having a conversation with myself?"        

        "No, of course not silly, you were talking to me. You remember me don't ya?"

        "Then am I thinking out loud? I hear my own voice, am I actually saying what I'm thinking?"

        "Of course not, that would mean your insane, madness soon to ensue."

        "I think I'm freaking out! I'm pretty sure I'm freaking out."

        Just then the boys showed up, Dales yelling at me,

        "Hey man, close the fucking door, you'll run down the battery!"

        I didn't hear him, I was deep in conversation with someone who wasn't me or was it. Steve leaned in the window, he was smoking a cigarette.

        "Who the fuck you talk'n to man?"

        "I think I'm freaking out; I keep talking to myself, or thinking out loud, you're not freaking out, yes I am, I'm losing my mind, no you're fine, stop telling yourself you're freaking out."

        Steve slapped me hard across the face. SMACK!

        "STOP IT! He raised his voice.

        I turned and looked him in the eye, raised my hand up to my cheek, I could feel the sting slowly evolving into heat.  Steve was just looking at me with consternation, or was it pity? I didn't say anything for a second, Steve asked,

        "How long you been sitting there talking to yourself?"

        Dale came up behind him he was smiling.

        "Did you smack him one?"

        "Yeah, he was freaking me out, he's trippin the fuck out, hard!"

        " I saw death." I spoke. "I really did, I saw death!" I was vulnerable, disconnected and afraid.

        Dale chuckled and asked,

        "So, you wannanother hit?"

        I just looked at him in utter amazement and disbelief.

        "No fucking way, I just want to come down"

        "Your Fine" Dale said, "Scoot over, let me see if you killed my battery."

        I slid over to the passenger side and Dale got in. He unhooked the C-clip where his key chain hung from his belt loop and slid the ignition key in the switch. He turned the key and the dome light dimmed as the motor turned over slowly, then it caught and sprung to life, the combination of broken mufflers and blasting radio bringing me back to reality.  Deep Purple was on the radio "I'm aaaa highway staaaaar." Steve pushed the seat forward and climbed in the back while Dale slammed the driver's door.

        "I don't know about you guys but I'm fuck'n hungry," said Dale

        He dropped the shifter into gear, and we were moving forward again...