Hello Heather

Being a teenage boy is no joke. I didn't really go to the restroom I just went around the corner and waited for my loins to return to normal before I went to Heather's room.  I realized as I walked down the hall how relieved I was that I wasn't going to have to be the first one to tell her the bad news about Dale and Turtle. Now my nerves were a little more settled and I was glad that I had Michelle around to help me with this burden.

        Coyly, I entered the room with a smile and a little wave,

        "Heather, are you awake?"

        I stepped into full view and there she was sitting up with a tray in front of her and Michelle holding a small carton of orange juice to her lips with a straw.  Apparently, she could maneuver a spoon to her mouth but getting the straw to her lips was too difficult. I saw her eyes roll in my direction and then she slowly turned her head to look at me with those big swollen but beautiful green eyes.  She was still very sedated but through the drug haze I could see she recognized me and a painful smile came to her poor battered face.

        "Hiiiiii Merrrrrilllll !"

        She was trying to feign enthusiasm but its effect on me was pity. I smiled the best I could and walked toward the bed she had been in now for almost a month.  Tears started pouring down my face without my even noticing as I took her brittle fingers in mine.

        "How are you doing Lady?"

        Why do we always ask this when we know the answer.

        "Come closer buddy, give mama a hug."

        Michelle rolled the hospital tray out of the way so I could bend down to hug her. She was so thin a could feel her ribs beneath my arms as I gently embraced her. She returned the hug as best she was able with her casts and wouldn't let go as she whispered in my ear.

        "I'm so sorry about Dale, I know you two were good friends."

        At this I just went to pieces and sobbed like I had in the car with Michelle, only this time it was uncontrollable.  I practically collapsed on her and

 cried into her shoulder as she tried to comfort me.  I couldn't believe that she was more concerned about me than what she was going through herself. She too was crying but the drugs she was on kept her from bawling uncontrollably. She was still speaking to me saying,

        "None of this was your fault, Michelle told me everything, said you felt guilty and have been here all this time.  You mustn't take this on yourself buddy, you're a good kid and you had nothing to do with this."

        I could feel the fingers of one of her hands tapping me on the back while the other was trying to smooth my hair. Through my sobs all I could manage to say to her was,

        "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry !" I repeated it over and over because I really did not know what else to say and it was the biggest emotion I had right then.  

        "I'm so fuck'n sorry Heather, I'm so so sorry."

        "It's alright Mer, it will all work out, everything will be fine."

        I was finally able to get a hold of myself and raised up from her to look at her face. She was still very pretty even busted up as she was. I looked into her blackened eyes and told her I loved her and smoothed her hair as my tears fell upon her cheek.  There was a moment there when it was just us and everything else faded into the background. 

        "I Love you, Heather, I have been so worried, I was afraid you would never wake up."

        She looked solemnly into my eyes, tears streaming down the side of her face.

        "I am overwhelmed that you would care so much about me to be here by my side all this time. You are just about the best guy I have ever known and I am honored and cherish you beyond words. I'm probably talking stupid from all the drugs they have me on but there is no way I can ever thank you enough for being here for me and to wanna be the one to tell me about Turtle and Dale.  You are very brave Merrill and I love you very much and so does Michelle. A lot of people think you're special and you should never forget that Merrill, you are a very special boy but I have to tell you something."

       " It's ok Heather, you need to rest sweetie, this has taken a lot out of you. "

        I hated that she called me a boy, I had a pretty good idea what she was going to say and I wanted to postpone it.    

        "No, you have to listen to me now, it's very important, I have to tell you something important fucker."

        Her eyes were beginning to close and her telling anyone anything was about over for a while.

        "It's ok Heather, you just rest now"

        Michelle tapped me on the shoulder so she could step in. I took a step back and Michelle lowered the bed and tucked her in just as a nurse came in to take away her tray and give her a shot.

        "This shot is going to put her away for a while , she's not going to be up before visiting hours are over." The nurse said.

        Michelle put a hand on Heather's cheek and smoothed her hair as I held one of her feet and she began to snore softly.

      Michelle said,  "I guess it's time to go then, are you hungry?"