WELCOME BACK

Unfortunately my parents had been summoned and were on the outskirts of the flashlight that was blinding me.

        "Welcome back son," said the doctor.

       " Now I want you to follow my finger,"

        He slowly moved his finger back and forth and up and down in front of my face and I followed it the best I could considering I just woke up from an unconscious state.  I heard my mother in the background in her intentionally dampened panicked but pleasant loving voice.

        "Is he okay doctor? Can we take him home?" Then to me she said,

        "What happened baby? Did you take something? You can tell us, you won't be in trouble." Then to the Doctor.

        "Did you give him a blood test for drugs, do you think he took something?"

        "Calm down Mom, I just fainted, I'm fine." I tried to assure her.

        She took my hand and I looked over at her when the doc was done with me watching his fingers and she was crying, she ran her fingers through my hair while saying, 

        "I hope you didn't do something stupid."

        "It's not that Mom, I just stressed out or something, I'm not like some kind of dope addict, really Mom you gotta believe me."

        I wondered if I should tell her about Dales head which presently was not with me. I thanked the God I didn't believe in and tried to look her directly in the eye without showing any guilt.  I thought this had to be some kind of test, the last thing I need is to have my parents involved in my shit.  

        "Where's Dad?" I asked

        "He went down to get some coffee, we've been here for hours, you scared us to death young man."

        The doctor was looking at the chart at the end of the bed I was in, turning pages and writing with a pen that he clicked and put in his pocket.

        "I think we better keep him for tonight, I'm running a few tests and I want to keep an eye on him.  I think he's fine, these things happen you know. Teenagers sometimes get themselves emotionally over their heads and just short out, how do you feel son?

        "I feel pretty good actually doc."

        "You were here visiting our little burn victim yes?"

        'Her name is Heather." I said disgruntled.        

        "Of course, I'm sorry, Heather, she's been a real trooper that one. do you know his friend Heather Mom?

        "We've met, it's terrible what happened.  We let Merrill come down to visit because we knew she didn't have too many people here."

        "That's fine" Said the doc, "I'm sure he has been very helpful in the moral support department but perhaps he should visit a little less frequently for a while."

        "No Mom !" I interjected.

        "She just woke up herself and I didn't even get a chance to talk to her before I passed out, that just ain't fair Mom, she needs me!"