Chapter XXII

Your arms fly to Rafes side as you gratefully accept his embrace. Feeling a sense of safety as the warmth of his body consumes you whole, his arms holding you against him desperately as if he was afraid that you would disappear the second he lets go.
"I know."

Rafe finally eases his arms around you, his hands drifting down towards your elbows as he allows you to pull away at your own pace, although hopeful that you wouldn't at all. He stares deeply into your eyes as you slowly pull away, his face now only just visible as you begin reading it for emotion once again. His chest fluttering fast with desperation as your eyes look into his. His face begins to burn with a hot flush at its close proximity to yours, only several centimetres away from devastation as he struggles to find the strength to look away and like two opposite sides of a magnet, he wants to move in closer but his body refuses, freezing in place at your gaze.

"I should go inside." You finally speak.
"Yeah." He agrees quietly, completely detaching himself from your body at last.

You look back towards him before opening your front gates to see Rafe still positioned against his bike as he stares at you from behind, his knuckles against his mouth in deep thought.
"See you tonight Rafe." You say as you give him a soft smile.
"See you tonight Y/N."

Once you enter your empty-as-always house, you head up towards your room. Stripping your clothes off almost immediately as you hop into the shower, desperate to wash the sand off of your body. The hot mist of the water makes you feel light as it always does, making it easier on you to fall victim to the notorious shower thoughts.
Your mind races back to today with Rafe, only seemingly allowing you to think about the moments that made your heart race. That dreadfully long hug for example. The thought of it causing you to run your face under the warm water.
"What the hell is wrong with me."

You hop out of the shower, dabbing yourself dry before picking out an outfit for tonight.
"What the hell do people wear to that anyways?" You groan as you struggle to decide on an outfit, pulling out both a little black dress and a white long sleeved hoodie accompanied with black mini shorts. One outfit obviously more of a kook style while the other, more Pogue.
"It's on grass sooo...." Your eyes dart from one outfit to the other before finally deciding on the hoodie and shorts.

Knock, knock.
"Come in!" You say, expecting to be met with your parents.
The door creaks open slowly, almost hesitantly at first before your eyes are met with Jj's as he leans against the door frame.
"Jj..."
"They made me come."
"And I'm so glad they did." You laugh before hopping off of your expensive velvet stool and into his arms, "I'm so sorry for today." You plead, a lump growing in your throat.
Jj returns the hug before pulling away, "I know. I am too. I didn't mean to get so...protective I guess."
"No, you're fine, I shouldn't have gotten so defensive about some guy I barely know." You chuckle. Your words making him smile with relief.
"I don't mind you being buddy-buddy with him. After what he did for you at that godforsaken party...I should understand by now but my brain just won't let me." He drags, disappointment clear in his voice.
"It's fine Jj. Nothing you say could ever ruin anything between us." You assure him with a few pokes to his stomach, making him curl with laughter.
"Hey, since you're here, do I look weird?" You ask, giving him a twirl.
"Oh Y/N, you look so weird." He jokes, causing you to slap his chest softly.
"Get outta here!" You shout, "I'll be out in 5."

Jj walks towards the twinkie, everybody sitting in suspense as they observe his movements as he approaches the group alone.
"Well?" John B asks.
"Where is she?" Sarah adds.
"Did something happen? Well? Tell us!" Pope demands.
"She doesn't forgive me." Jj says lowly, causing everyone to sigh in disbelief before his face can no longer hold back a jokingly smile.
"Oh you bastard."Kie says, slapping Jj's arm.
"Ow! You know no woman can stay mad at me." He says, leaning back against his arms in the backseat, pride clear as day on his stature.
"Pffttt, yeah right." Kie rolls her eyes before landing on you as you walk down your drive way, "there's our girl!"
"Hey guys! Sorry for worrying you." You say apologetically as you take a seat between Kie and Pope.
"Hey don't stress about it, we knew you'd come around. Both of you." She says.

As the twinkie comes to a stop against the curb by the movie screening, you immediately start searching the crowd for Rafe.
"Oh, here." Sarah whispers as she slyly hands you a small piece of paper folded into quarters. She smiles before resuming her place next to John B and the others.

I'll be by the popcorn stand. - R

You smile tenderly before folding it back up and placing in the pocket of your shorts.
"Hey uh, I'll be back."
"Where are you going?" Kie asks.
"Just gonna go find a popcorn stand but I'll be back before the movie starts-"
Kie gives you a disapproving look before looking towards Jj talking to Pope and John B, "I know you guys made up but I can't guarantee this won't hurt his feelings."
"What do you expect me to do about it?" You say surprisingly defensive, "sorry, Kie. I just, he said he doesn't mind me being buddy-buddy with him. It'll be okay."
"Yeah. Buddy-buddy." Kie says sternly.
"And that's all it is." You confirm.
"If you say so."

As you push past the crowd to the popcorn stand, Rafe is nowhere in sight. You struggle to peer over the tall figures and large groups of people so you decide to make your way to a light pole, standing on its base to get a better view and instantly recognising a dapper yet unfavourable orange shirt accompanied by Topper in his just-as-bright yellow shirt and....Kelce. Ugh.

Rafe occasionally turns to the crowd midst conversation with Topper.
"Bro? Are you even listening?" Topper says.
"Yeah. Why wouldn't I be?" Rafe says as he continues to surf the crowd with his eyes. Clearly no interest in the topic at hand.
"Don't tell me. Y/N?" Topper asks.
Rafe finally locks eyes with Topper, while Kelce's posture becomes evidently straighter, his attention also being had at the mention of your name.
"God bro, you're so whipped. That's a lost cause." Topper adds, "you know she basically has a thing with that Jj guy anyways?" He says, gesturing his attention to Jj and the rest of the pogues huddled up on the grass as they laugh together, all except Jj who is also searching the crowd. "Look at him." He says in disgust, "filthy pogues."
Rafe stares towards Jj resembling a lost puppy before turning back to Topper, his thoughts clouded with worry, earning a sudden huff from Kelce.
"It's like everybody knows except her. She's so clueless."
Rafe averts his eyes straight into Kelce's, threat clear in his stare, causing Kelce to second guess his place, making him lean away, intimidated.