Chapter CXIX

Rafe jogs down the stairs with his car keys in hand, jingling like bells with every step while you follow behind him.
"Finally, sheesh." Sarah sulks, "You know it's a perfectly fine day to walk." She adds when she notices Rafes hands wrapped around a set of keys.
"Not today, Sarah." He plainly says with a quick glance.
"It's warm too-"
"I said not today. Y/N needs to take it easy."
"God, I don't wanna know." She says in a jokingly manner but Rafe doesn't find her easy going attitude towards the very serious situation and more importantly, your condition amusing in the slightest. Not like she had hoped he would, knowing how up in flames he gets in regards to you, she only meant to soften the blow of last nights mess.
"This isn't a game, Sarah." Rafe exclaims sternly, surprising you with his sudden change of tone from the gentle one he had with you just upstairs. You look up at him from behind his tall stature, you couldn't see much of his face from where you stood but you can see how his jaw clenched like it always tends to do whenever something agitated him.
"Hey..." You say softly as you bring a hand around his side. You can tell from his tensed muscles beneath his shirt and the way he avoided your eyes, that he was starting to grow frustrated.
"We can go for a walk later, but he's right, I should take it easy for now." You say with a smile which thankfully brought relief on both Sarah and Rafe and easing the tension between the two.
"Okay..."

Normally, you'd pass Rafes concerns off as unnecessary or redundant and tell him not to fret so much; in some instances, you might even find it entertaining but last night was definitely a turmoil to say the least.
You can see how much it would worry a person to have their very reason for existence illegally drugged, especially unknowingly. Planned abduction was something else; The fact that someone had planned to take you away from him entirely was a painful thought, alone.
Rafe could barely fathom it.

Poor Rafe had always worried about you, all the way back since the night you met.

He must be so tired.

Sarah seemed on edge after Rafes harsh tone of voice, and Rafe only stood against the railing of the stair case, fiddling with the keys in his hands as your own fingers trace down his side.
"You ready to go?..." You speak up, earning a faint nod from him in exchange.

Sarah sat in the back tray of his truck for the drive, while you and Rafe sat in front. He was pleased to have that time with you alone at the very least, you even noticed his mood ease with a smile or two as he held your hand beneath his on the gear stick, squeezing it every so often.
"If you start to feel off, tell me, okay?" Rafe says as he looks into the rear view mirror and then to you.
"I will." You smile, assuringly.
Rafes smile slowly fades, rubbing your hand softly under his.

When Rafe pulls up outside of John B's house, his eyes are instantly met with another pair of onlooking ones. Sat on a chair by the porch was a messy head of blonde hair, blue eyed boy in a flannel shirt, somebody Rafe couldn't bare to put up with at the moment, especially after this mornings encounter and everything that came afterwards and in between.
"Jj is already here!" You exclaim with a smile of enthusiasm as you hurriedly unbuckle your seat belt.
Rafes hands only tighten around the steering wheel, licking at his teeth as he stares daggers at Jj and shamefully starting to feel his veins course with envy at your excitement to see him at all.
"Hey..." Rafe begins as he catches your wrist.
"...Yeah?" You ask, your eyes look into his so innocently, letting him know that you were prepared to listen but Rafe struggles to find his words. Truthfully, he knew what he wanted to say, but he also knew that it wasn't anything you haven't heard from him before. He worries that his off feelings about Jj were becoming an annoyance, a burden to you and it isn't what you needed to hear right now so, he decides to keep it to himself instead.
Bottling up his emotions like he does so well.
"Um, just- take it easy..." He says.

Sarah had already jumped out of the back, running up to greet Jj after he too, had already stood up and began to hurry over. He wasn't the least bit interested in Sarah though, when his eyes landed on you in the passengers seat, they widened and his sights were set on you and you only.

Before even Rafe could get to your side, Jj beats him to it, embracing you the second your feet touched the ground.
"Y/N...You're okay? You're safe? You're- I'm- im so sorry." Jj stutters into the crook of your neck, his hand gliding down the length of your hair until it lands on your lower back. Rafes blood boils as he is only left to watch.
"Yes I'm okay, yes I'm safe." You giggle but with every word, Jj's embrace grows tighter as if he hadn't expected to see you ever again.
Rafe could tell, as he stared at your body against Jj's, that the gap between the two of you shrunk until it was nothing at all, your body was now being pressed into his and Rafe didn't like it one bit.
"Jj, I can't breathe-"
Jj releases you and the second he does, you're swiftly being pulled back until you practically fall against Rafe, his arm catching you as you cling to his side.
Jj smirks slyly, finally taking notice of Rafes presence. "I knew you'd find her." Jj expresses as he exchanges a smile towards Rafe, but it wasn't authentic.
"Right." Rafe huffs, seeing right through him.
You sense in the air that something between the two boys was off balance, averting your eyes from Jj to Rafe who stood tall behind you. Neither of them broke eye contact with each other, they only stare, threat evident in their eyes and it made you wonder.
"Did...something happen while I was gone?" You ask softly, but before either of them had the chance to speak, Pope could be heard running down the dirt drive way. Giddily, at that, with the widest smile you'd ever seen him wear.
"Y/N!" He shouts as he lifts you up into his arms.
"Pope! How're you feeling after last night?"
"Me? I should be asking you that!"
"I feel fine, actually, Rafe has been taking really good care of me." You say as you smile up into his eyes, causing Jj to roll his own out of spite.

Pope smiles too but it drops almost instantly.
"On a serious note," He starts, "I've got information from Shoupe that I think you might wanna know."