Chapter XXX

Rafe parks his truck in the stone driveway of the Cameron's house, removing his keys and making his way to the front door. As he nears the house, he picks up on multiple male voices which was unusual since his father was never one to have people over so casually.

"Oh, hello Mr. Y/L/N." He greets curiously as he reaches out to shake your fathers hand.
"Nice seeing you Rafe." He says as he returns his handshake with a naturally stern expression.
"Mr. Y/L/N is here about midsummers, Rafe." Ward speaks from beside your father.
"Oh? Is it gonna be held here?" Rafe asks.
"At our manor actually, your father is offering a sponsorship, however. He's a good man." Your father says as he places a friendly hand on Wards shoulder.
"Uh, yeah," he huffs, "when he wants to be." Rafe jokes towards your father, earning a grim glance from Ward.

Your father takes notice of the tense atmosphere that had come to be after that statement, taking up the chance to change the topic.

"So, son, heard you've been hanging around my daughter lately."
"Uh..." he hesitates to answer before quickly meeting his own fathers eyes, staring down on him harshly yet masked with an innocent, neighbourly smile.
"Yes sir." Rafe finally responds.
"Good! I'm glad." Your father cheers unexpectedly, "I was starting to think she'd be hanging around those pogues forever."
"With all due respect sir, those pogues can be good company." Rafe says out of turn, earning an even harsher stare from Ward as he adjusts his posture towards his son.

Your father cocks an eyebrow at Rafe, confused by what he meant by that claim. He had known Rafe since he was a young boy and it was totally out of character for him to stand up for any pogues of the sort.

Rafe acknowledges your fathers suspicions as confusion raids his entire features. Rafe remains uncertain if it would be a good idea to bring up his daughters involvement with Kelce, the pogues and all of the drama surrounding before finally coming to the conclusion that maybe Ward would be softer on him with your fathers company at hand. Any mention of his daughters endangerment could win him over in an instant...or....it could ruin things completely.

"What do you mean, son?" Your fathers asks peculiarly.

Rafe looks towards his father again, looking for any hint of warning behind his eyes, only to be met with the same barely readable ones. Ward nods at him once, signalling at Rafe to go on.

"What I mean sir is that there was an incident at Kelce's house that put Y/N in danger."
"An incident?" Your father questions worriedly.
"She's safe, but it's all thanks to the pogues." Rafe lies, believing that rearing his involvement out of the situation will save his relationship with you and further making your fathers outlook on your relationship with your pogue friends, increasingly more acceptable while also putting Kelce in the spotlight.
The ultimate combo.

"Kelce, huh?" Your father proceeds, "should I be worried about him around my daughter?"
"Yes sir." Rafe blurts out honestly.
"What'd this boy do?"
"He had indecent plans with Y/N while she was vulnerable..." Rafe hesitates before continuing, "and almost hit her with his car."
"My heavens." Your father says unimpressed through clenched teeth, "I'll see this through with my wife, and you, just keep doing what ever it is with my daughter."
Rafe smiles at the subtle sign of blessing before being met with Wards eyes, his burning stare causing Rafes smile to fade almost instantaneously.
"Yes sir." Rafe says as he turns away towards the staircase, making his way towards his bedroom.

Knock, knock.
"Come in." Rafe calls out from his study desk as he assists in planning the midsummer party in request of his father.
"Sup." Sarah says, closing the door behind her.
"What do you want?" Rafe asks, still focused on the modules in front of him.
"Geez, don't be so rude. Your whole fling you got going on with Y/N does ride on my shoulders you know." She says mischievously as she leans against the back of the door, instantly getting Rafes attention.
"Yeah, Rafe. I know." She says with a huff.
"So?"
"So.....Do you like her?" Sarah asks.
"That's none of your business, frankly." He responds.
"Ahem." Sarah coughs, reminding him that it all partially rode on her.
"What if I do? Hm?" He questions with a serious tone of voice.
"Well, I'd say all the best."
"All the best as in tootaloo or all the best as in you don't mind?"
"I mean, Y/N is my best friend, I want quite literally all the best for her." Sarah shrugs, causing a smile to blossom on her brothers face, a rare sight for her indeed, "but between you and me..." she continues, Rafes attention growing more focused, "don't mention it in front of the boys. Jj especially."

The mention of Jj's name makes him tense in place. His jaw visibly clenches as his suspicions around Jj sure enough, set in stone.

"Like I care about that twerp." Rafe says.
"So you know?" Sarah asks in return.
"Know about what?"
"How he feels about Y/N."
"Pfttt." Rafe huffs as he begins to twiddle his pen between his fingers anxiously at the topic, "how could I not? Like come on Sarah. The pogue couldn't be anymore obvious."
"Oh Rafe, don't act like you hate the pogues. I heard you downstairs, vouching for them and all." Sarah pokes fun at his sudden soft spot for your friends.
"Only said that for Y/N's sake." He says.
"mhm," Sarah hums in certainty, "and by the way, what's this about Kelce almost hitting her with a car?!" She whispers loudly.
"Kelce was planning a hit on run."
"And how do you know this?"
"Barry told me. Kelce went to Barry putting money on my head for the shit show at the party," Rafe sighs, "So fucked up."
"What?! You could put him away for that! That's literal attempted murder, Rafe."
"Don't think I know that? I told Mr. Y/L/N anyways, said he'd deal with it. I don't know what that means." Rafe says hopelessly.

Sarah observes her brothers body language as he speaks, taking consideration of his helplessness. She approaches him with a caring embrace from behind. Physical affection was rare between the two as Rafe hadn't really thought of Sarah as a sister until recently. Since knowing you, Rafe had become noticeably more talkative, hopeful in his purpose on earth, happier.

"We'll take care of Y/N together, all of us. Nothing will happen," she assures lovingly, "not on my watch anyways."
Rafe huffs a small laugh at his sisters confidence as he leans into her embrace, finally feeling a sense of placement in the family which he struggled to find years before.