Chapter CXXVI

"Stay." Rafe mouths to Kie and Sarah, earning a nod in response. He looks down at you to see you staring back, your hands over your mouth, waiting for your instructions too, but he only nods once. You were hidden and you quiet, that is all he could ask of you so he slowly pushes himself away until the weight of his body was gone, completely.
He moves silently towards the front door with light footsteps, the floor boards creak a little but the intruders were far too occupied with the boys in the yard to be interested in anything else.

Rafe grips the door knob but before turning it, he pauses. He turns his head slightly to the shuffling on the couch where he sees you on your hands and knees, sliding Jj's backpack over to him. With a thankful nod, he digs through it, feeling the oh too familiar cold, hard metal of a hand gun.

Nervously handling the gun in his hand, Rafe pulls the door open and before he could aim down sight, he inhaled sharply. Surprise on his face...or was it relief?
"Rafe Cameron?" Shoupe asks, putting his gun back inside his holster. "Dang it boy, I could've shot you." Both Shoupe and Rafe shake their heads lowly.
"Sir-" Rafe anxiously smiles, "What the hell are you doing here? Sneaking around, too."
"I did knock."

You sigh at Shoupes name, unable to help the weak laugh escaping your chest as Kie and Sarah also laugh.
"God, I've never been so happy to hear Shoupes voice." Kie remarks.
"Yeah," Sarah exhales, "-but don't get your hopes up just yet...why would two officers be here? this deep in the cut? It can only mean trouble."
"Maybe it's a wellness check? For me, you know." You say from behind the couch.
"Not everything is about you, stink-butt."
"Actually, it is." Sarah says.

As Shoupe begins to step towards Rafe, eyes fixated on Rafes inconsistent ones, the other officer quickly checks out back.
"Mind if I come in?" Shoupe asks, noticing Rafes nerves highten the closer he gets.
"Uhh...well, you see...this isn't my house." Rafe replies, keeping the gun behind the door frame.
"No shit."
"Just John Booker Routledge, Pope Hayward and Jj Maybanks over here, chief!" The other officer shouts, and for the split second that Shoupes attention was stolen, Rafe drops the gun behind some furniture.
"Ahem!" Rafe rubs his face, disguising the clang of the gun.

Shoupe raises a brow at Rafe before pushing the door open and Rafe lets him. His eyes straight away land on the two girls in the kitchen before noticing you standing against the couch. Shoupes posture visibly eases as he approaches you.
"Y/N, glad to see you're still alive and kicking." He says.
"Thank you, sir."
"How are you feeling anyways?" He asks, scanning your body with his eyes for any marks or signs of aggression.
"Uh- i-" You begin to feel uncomfortable but Rafes reassuring eyes let you know that there was nothing to worry about, and trust me, Rafe worries about anything.
"I'm feeling fine..." You say, "It's gonna take a little more than some crazed asshole and some loose powder to take me down."
"Well, you're right about that." Shoupe smiles, turning around to face Rafe who stood confidently, his arms crossed over his chest. Shoupes smile curls tighter when he catches a glimpse of Rafes genuine smile, something he didn't even know Rafe could manage according to Wards word.
"Did you see the footage I leant Pope, Miss.Y/N?"
"Oh! Yes, and yes...I never forget a face."
"And you'd like to press charges I assume?" Shoupe asks, helping himself to Kie and Sarah's snacks on the table.

You stay completely still but your eyes dart towards Rafes. His smile was now gone but he wasn't mad, he wasn't sad either.
He was absent entirely.

You suddenly remember the conversation the two of you had in John B's bedroom. The same absent eyes he had now as he said the words:
"I think we should kill them all."

Remembering that not-so fond memory caused you to look away from Rafe and Rafes chest caves within itself knowing why. The unprecedented silence left Shoupe at a loss, so he plops himself down onto the arm chair that Jj favoured and he waited. Paying close attention to the blank stare on Rafes face when he would normally jump at any other opportunity to protect you.

'Why isn't he saying yes?' Shoupe thinks to himself, 'Why on gods green earth wouldn't he?'
Especially after his last run in with Rafe, where he left a 'friend' of his near death and bleeding out on the sandy shore...pressing charges surely isn't where the line is drawn.

Shoupe stays vigilant as he prys the gummy snack out of his teeth before at last, Jj swings the back door open with a loud 'BAM!'
Jj turns the corner ahead of John B and Pope, stopped dead in his tracks at the sight of a seemingly chill Shoupe.
"Don't you need a warrant to be here?" Jj asks.
"Relax kiddo, I'm not here to search the property."
"Then why are you here?" John B then asks.
"Privacy please?" The second officer says.
"It's alright." Shoupe waves off his partner, "I'm here because it just so happens I have great respect for Y/N's family and they deserve more than the justice they're about to receive...considering the seriousness of that nights turn of events." Shoupe nods to himself, "Just doing my job."

Expecting to see faces of content, maybe even a little bit of praise, Shoupe looks up with a tight smile...only to be met with eyes burning with hatred.
"That's it?" Kie spits, "Whoopity-doo! You're doing what you're supposed to for once! But what? Because of who her family is?! If it was one of us, you wouldn't be here, would you?"
Rafe try's to step in for you, his inner kook scratching at the surface in the form of a protective glare before your arm flys out in front of him.
"What if I told you that Kelce was behind all of this?"  You say plainly.
Shoupe shifts his posture uncomfortably, his body language doing all the talking for him.
"You don't believe me do you?..." You stare bitterly at Shoupe as he does anything but give you a straight answer.
"You know...We have no real evidence it was Kelce." Shoupe starts, "All we have on tape is a junkie-"
"Out."
"Excuse me?"
"Out!" You shout.

Shoupe stands in disbelief, exchanging looks between his partner, both of whom looked like it was their first time being rejected. It didn't surprise him when he looked around at the pogues, seeing smiles on their faces.
Recalling everything he did for Rafe, he was surprised to see him standing tall, smiling too from behind you.
Just like Ward, he didn't trust this boy at all.
After all, why should he?

You lean backwards against Rafes body, smiling when you hear the door close shut.
"Woo! Atta girl!" Jj cheers.
"Whoa- whoa- wait, guys..." Pope pipes up, "Y/N, are you sure about this?"
You angle your head upwards to see Rafe looking down at you already. His eyes were sweet looking and his face was glowing with the softest of smiles. It was hard to tell what kind of headspace Rafe was in right now since it had the tendency to change like the seasons lately, but he looked like Rafe.
Your Rafe.
That was all you needed.
"Yeah."