Chapter XCIV

The streets on this side of the mainland were pretty pristine for the amount of people it often attracts.
It was a beautiful place with very little litter and many shops, most of them designer. Every street was lit with a long row of street lights but as you walked further down town, the street lights became of very little occurrence, only so much light lighting the way from faded, old ones that were in need of a bulb change and the colourful lights from corner shops.

As you walk down the dark street beside Rafe,
Kie and Sarah walk up slightly ahead with the other boys, roughhousing around and excited to get a few drinks into them.

"Whew, look at the girl in the orange..."

Rafe found it hard to hear anything over your friends horsing around but a strangers voice in a shady corner caught his attention with ease.

"Nah, get a look at the one with the guy, check out the legs on her."

When Rafe looks off to the side, he sees two scraggly looking men huddled together as they eye you up and down. It made Rafes skin crawl.

"Pretty little face, too."

You stay minding your own business, smiling at the others as they cheerfully skip behind Pope as he sensibly leads the way when suddenly you feel Rafes hand firmly grasp at your waist, pulling you closer beside him. You look up to smile at him but he was already looking away into another direction, his face sharp and alert which only made your smile falter.
"Hey, are you okay?" You ask, cautiously.
He finally looks into your eyes, worried about the attention you're getting but playing it cool by flashing you a smile instead; a faulty, inconsistent smile, but it was the best he could manage at that point. It wasn't hard to tell through the tough guy facade that something was bothering him.
"Are you sure you wanna do this?" He asks.
"Hm? Do what?"
"Go so far down town..." He adds as he warily peers over his shoulder again.
"Rafe-"
"This is it!" Pope huffs proudly as he gestures towards a narrow staircase between two lit up signs that flash brightly with the words 'Cocktails' and
'VIP Lounge'. It wasn't the snazziest of places but it seemed inviting.

Rafe hesitates for a moment as he stares down the dark abyss the stairs lead into, his arm tightens around your waist slightly but enough for you to notice. It was evident he still wasn't sure about taking you some place so ominous, in fact, he wasn't proud of himself at all about it but you came this far so it was only inevitable and he knew primarily what he had to do.
Keep you safe.
That's all that matters.

Pope hops down the stairs before Jj follows in tow, then Kie, Sarah and John B. You began to walk forward as well but Rafe stands stronger, his arm holding you in place as he dwells on a thought.
"Rafe?"
"If you wanna go home at any time, you let me know, alright?"
"Y-yeah..." You mutter, "Is that all?"
He turns his gaze back towards the staircase, making his clenched jaw visible you. He wants to tell you what he really thinks, he wants to turn away and take you home but he settles for nothing more than a small nod of his head. "Yeah, that's all."

He holds his arm out for you to hold onto as he guides you down the dark stairs, the only light now was the soft red glow from inside so you tread down the stairs slowly to be sure not to miss a step and Rafe patiently leads you alongside him.
At the bottom of the steps was a large, frosted glass window with long, gold door handles and gold accents. It was the fanciest pair of double doors you'd ever expect to see down the darkest staircase in town, you were astonished and when Rafe reaches to open one side for you, the bass of the music instantly hits you as it thumps vigorously through your chest and just waiting inside were the others.
"You guys should try to find a place to sit while we sign us all in!" Sarah try's with all her might to shout over the music, "We'll be five minutes!" She adds, dragging John B off into an ocean of people with her.
"I already see a free table!" Kie says, pointing into a far corner of the room.
"Nice, Kie!" Pope exclaims.
"Let's go before somebody else claims it!" Says Jj as he carelessly slides across random table tops to get to the empty one across the room. It made you laugh but Kie only stared grudgingly at him, making you laugh even more.

Looking around, you daze at all the flashing lights that strobe off of the ceiling and beamed into a crowded area where people danced. Scattered around different areas of the club were a number of small, island bars, decorated in vibrant glowing lights. Considering there was certainly no shortage of lights in this place, it was particularly hard to see so you tightly grasp onto the back of Rafes shirt which made him smile lightheartedly knowing you didn't want to lose him just as much as he did.

Rafe pulls out a chair for you and as you take a seat, he leans down in front of you within close proximity, one hand on the back of your chair and his other on the table. "I'm gonna go get a beer, do you want anything?"
"Umm..." You think, "A Long Island ice tea if they have any, please."
"And if they don't?"
"A rum would be fine too." You smile, placing a soft kiss on his cheek, "Thank you."
He kisses you back, except on the lips this time.
"I'll be back."
You watch as he walks off with Pope, leaving Kie seated in front of you and Jj beside her. Kie was on her phone, probably texting Pope what she wanted to drink if you had any guess; and Jj, he just sat quietly, not really in a talking kind of mood it seemed. Especially with you. So, instead, you watch Rafe from afar. He stood out from everybody else because of his height and not only that, but he was also the best dressed man there tonight. Sure, he was only wearing dark blue pants and a white, cuffed dress shirt but it was something in the way it fit him.
It almost worried you how good he looked, but you knew that even if there was a girl who wanted to try her luck, Rafe wasn't like that.
He only had eyes for you and everybody knew that.
Right?

Thinking about it reminded you of Heather and what started as you mindlessly adoring Rafe at the bar, turned into you staring off into nothing.
A pretty face now expressionless, hard to read.
"Y/N."
You look up to see Jj looking back at you, his eyes softer than they have been all day.
"What?"
He opens his mouth to talk but he stops himself short before any words had the chance to come out.
"...Nothing."