Chapter LXXXV

Kie and Sarah were fast asleep in John B's bed after he had given up his space for them while he, Pope and Jj lay in the living room in front of the couches, several fluffy blankets separated them from the floor which was surprisingly comfortable considering it was hardwood and cold to the touch because of the night air. The boys had gathered every other pillow they could find in the house and created a mountain of snugness to make up for the bed they had lost to the girls.

"I swear to you that I'm not complaining but there's a perfectly good couch just behind us. Can I take it?" Pope asks as he turns on his side to see the other two boys laying on their back, staring at the ceiling with their arms resting behind their heads.
"Rafe needs a place to sleep and I can guarantee he won't want to cuddle up next to us, so no." John B responds.
"Speaking of, shouldn't they be coming inside already? It's a bit late for a session in the hot tub don't you think?" Jj asks, straight faced.
"Sheesh, who invited the fun police?" Pope laughs, earning laughter from John B beside him as well.
"I'm just saying..." Jj mumbles, turning on his side and facing away from the other two boys who only glanced at each other awkwardly, "Rafe knows Y/N is in danger but is keeping her out, anyways."
"He's a big boy, Jj. Bigger than us, he knows what to do. Plus, he wouldn't let a thing happen to her." John B says as he stands up, walking over to the back door and peaking through the small, square window. The glass was aged and not so easy to see out of clearly but he could see you and Rafe sitting in the hot tub, laughing your worries away instead of dwelling on them like Jj had seemed to suggest.

"Oh no." John B says with a worrisome facade.
Pope and Jj sit up abruptly, Jj more so as he begins to pant anxiously. "What?!"
"Think they're having too much fun, officer."
Pope chuckles with John B but Jj doesn't find it at all entertaining.
"Come on dude, it's a joke." John B smiles.
"Wasn't funny."
"Lighten up, Jj."
"Whatever."

Meanwhile in the hot tub, the night became increasingly chillier as the wind began to pick up, sending fallen leaves onto the waters surface but speckling it rather beautifully like a natural spring.
Although the tub was warm, you couldn't help but shake at the wind hitting your face, the breeze starting to cast goosebumps on your shoulders and down your arms, no matter how far in the water you submerge them so you embrace yourself by the knees but Rafe was too quick to take notice.
"Hey, you wanna go inside?" He asks sweetly as he rubs a gentle hand up and down your arm, wanting to soothe you but feeling the many prominent goosebumps instead.
"Come on, let's get you dry." He says before you could answer him in turn.

Rafe stands up from the water, revealing his dripping wet torso and his shorts that cling to his thighs tightly. Something so sensual about the way the water droplets trickled down his stomach before being caught in his waist band that you felt compelled to look away.
"What? It's nothing you haven't seen before." He chuckles.
He was right; but seeing it in this light, dim under a warm shade, had you heart struck. It was nothing like seeing him the other times that just so happened to be in unlit places. The last time you saw him like this was under the pier which was only lit by the far away moon.
"If you wanna tell me where John B keeps the towels, you can stay in the water and I'll just run inside quickly?" He asks, dabbing himself dry with his shirt.
"Uhh, check the bathroom maybe? Do you remember where that is?"
"Yeah, I think so." He says as he turns away, approaching the back door. His hand reaches in front of him but it pauses on the doors rusty handle after hearing his name be said through its wood, muffled but definite.

"It wouldn't hurt to laugh a little, Jj."
"Nothing to laugh at, man. Your girlfriend is safe and sound in a bed, dandy as they make em' while Rafe is not only untrustworthy but he's also the reason Y/N in this mess. You just don't get it."
"Have you forgotten about Toppers little attempt at murder with me? It'll pass, it always does."
"It's not the same-"
"Topper pushed me off a tower, Jj."

Rafe stares at the doors handle with an unimpressed expression ridden across his face, hesitating to open the door at all and only wanting to further listen to the conversation. He had every right to defend his name but he bites his tongue anyways, for your sake. Finally, he decides to open the door, pushing it wide open and completely hushing their voices with the squeak of the old, rustic hinges.

Rafe doesn't spare the boys a glance as he slides his body past the open door and making his way to the bathroom at the end of the narrow hallway, rolling his eyes at their sudden silence.

In perfect timing, a fluffy haired boy jogs up to him from behind just as he is met with no towels on the bathroom rack.
"Hey, need something?" John B asks.
"Towels?"
"Oh, right. I put them straight in the linen after washing them since we tend to take them to the beach anyways. It's just easier that way."
"Yeah well, I just need two towels, kinda don't need their life story, you know?" Rafe says in response, his heated attitude slipping through his words.
"Uh...yeah. Alright..." John B sighs, opening a small cupboard in the hallway.
"Sorry," Rafe says, his body jittery with nerves,
"I just- I'm just tired." He lies.
"Well, we saved you the couch for when ever you decide to head to bed. As for Y/N, she'll sleep with your sister and Kie in my room..."
"Never was a fan of little Boy Scout sleep overs so I'll hop in bed with Y/N."
"Yeah, not happening. Im just a pogue, remember? I can't afford big, fancy beds like you guys." John B says, "I do, however, have a fancy couch and it's all yours."
"Pshh." Rafe huffs, grabbing the two towels and throwing them over his shoulder before walking away again, leaving John B standing alone in the hallway and taken aback by Rafes hasty attitude.

With a click of the door, you look up to see Rafe again with the towels this time. You stand up fast, overly excited to get out and change into a dry set of clothes, wanting nothing more in this moment than to finally get some rest after the water had caused you to become slightly drowsy.
"Wait there." Rafe says, getting a towel ready for you before beginning to make his way to the hot tub again.
You stand in its water, arms crossed across your chest as you shiver in the wind, the sight causing Rafe to quicken his pace as he comes up from behind you, wrapping the towel around your drenched body at last and making you melt into his, just behind you.
"Thank you." You murmur before feeling one of his arms position itself around your waist and the other around your thigh, swooping you up and placing you down in front of him, immediately pulling you in for an embrace as he holds you against his chest.
"Are you warm under there?" He asks with a hand under the towel, rubbing your back in a circular motion.
You only smile against his skin, the warm sensation with the soft rubbing and the loving embrace was entirely too nice to pull away from so you hum a tone of agreement, tightening your arms around his waist as he rests his head on yours.
"Let me know when you're ready to go inside," he says, "but truthfully, I could stay like this forever."