Chapter XLVIII

His movements begin to turn skittish at the thought, jittery in withdrawals over the particular powder as he rummages through his room for even the tiniest bit that he would usually keep hidden in the back of a select drawer or between text books inside his closet before he chose to quit entirely.
To no luck, he comes across none. Not even a speck. Causing him to become increasingly aggravated as he continues to dig through his belongings, his stuff crashing against walls and furnishings, creating loud bangs and smashes that got one girls attention in particular.

"Rafe? Whats going on?" Sarah asks oddly.

Rafe lifts his head from his pile of things. His eyes glancing toward her through his messy hair and over his shoulder, visibly anxious which made Sarah subtly gasp, reminiscent of the old Rafe.

"Rafe, where's Y/N?" She asks lowly, causing him to almost instantly calm down as he falls back onto his bed, placing his head in his two hands, letting out a few left over tears.

Rafe sulks into his hands, disappointed in himself for leaving you in the car during one of his episodes. His heart wrenches in his chest as he wonders if maybe his father was right in advising the division of you two, except he had it all wrong about one thing. It wasn't you that was poisoning him, it was himself.

"Sarah." Rafe groans into his hands,
"I'm not good for her, am I?"
Sarah's expression softens at his words, pity engulfing her chest as she takes a seat next to him on the bed.
"Geez, Rafe. Where'd you get that idea?"
Rafe finally removes his hands from his face, rubbing his soaked palms against the fabric of his shorts before glancing beside him towards Sarah.
"God. I don't know why I'm asking you. You'll always be daddy's little girl." He mocks.
"So that's what this is about? Dad?" She laughs, not understanding the severity of the situation in the slightest, "for the oldest child, you sure act like a baby."
"Has he always been so ignorant about Y/N's situation? Or am I just experiencing the least favourite child exclusive?" He finally asks.
Sarah huffs a sigh, "since we were kids, pretty much, yeah."
"Even when she was a kid?" He repeats sadly in disbelief.
"She grew up pretty much being her parents parent. Never really got to be a kid, hence why she's so immature these days. Her and Jj both." She says before standing up again and making her way back out before turning towards her brother one last time,
"Seeing her with you is the happiest I've seen her since."

Rafes face stays blank in thought as he watches Sarah leave his room. He presses his lips together as he thinks about her words, feeling a sense of relief after implying that he had basically been over thinking about it all.

His hands run over his face one last time as the guilt returns temporarily, disappointed in himself that he had almost let his fathers manipulation deceive him again.

He adjusts his hat before finally making his way back outside where you had fallen asleep in the passenger side of his truck. Your head resting peacefully against his window as you curl up on the seat with his blazer as a blanket.
His once anxious entirety becomes relaxed at the sight. A genuine smile spreads across his smile as he struggles to find the strength to wake you up.
"Hey..." he whispers as he runs the back of his fingers down your soft cheek.
"Mhm." You moan tiredly.
"Do you want me to take you home?"
You turn your body towards him at the idea of taking you home early. While it sounds heavenly to catch up on some of your missing hours of sleep, if you could call it that, it sounded even nicer to spend the day with Rafe.
"Don't even think about it." You groan, causing him to smile brighter.
"I'm sorry I took so long." He says suddenly disheartening.

You sit up in your seat at last, leaning in to check the digital clock installed on the trucks dial. Your eyes struggling to open completely as they adjust to the harsh sunlight outside before finally being able to  read the time.

"You were gone for 45 minutes?" You ask astounded before averting your now awake eyes towards Rafe as he sits next to you, his eyes fixated on the road in front of him as his jaw faces you and entirely exposed.
"Rafe?" Your eyes widen.
"What's wrong?" He asks concerned at your tone.
"What happened?" You ask with a shaky voice as your fingers find their way up to his jaw that was glowing a fierce red. A faint spot of purple starting to form along the bone.

Rafe lifts his gaze to the rear view mirror, angling his head to analyse his jaw where his father had held him tightly to see a small bruise the size of a grape and inflamed with red.
"Shit." He mumbles under his breath.
"What the hell happened?" You ask again, this time impatiently.
Rafe glances towards your worried face before back to the road, his mind racing with excuses as he avoids the question for as long as he can muster.
"I slipped on the boat. In some water."
"Your father was wearing oxfords just now, I know for a fact he did not take that boat out today." You say matter-of-factly, leaving Rafe speechless.
"Rafe, what the fuck are you not telling me." You ask, becoming increasingly upset at his notion to keep secrets.

His body begins to implode with an overwhelming amount of emotions just like it did back at the house after his interaction with his father. He can feel his limbs becoming weightless with adrenaline as his hands tap against the steering wheel impatiently, desperate for some fresh air at the interrogation being held inside his car.

Unsure if it was purely just his temper or if it was coke withdrawals, he started to panic even more as the possibility of him freaking out in front of you increases and fast.
He wanted anything but for you to see him like this.

"Rafe?"
"Just!-" he begins with a shout before instantly taking it back, "just, I wanna have a good day today. With you. Alright? So please, can we do this another time Y/N?" He says softly, not wanting to scare you.
You stare into his saddened face as he drives before your stare drifts off to the growing bruise on his jaw, making your own features furrow sadly. You place your hand over his as it rests on the gear stick.
"I'm sorry." He mumbles, terrified of what he was becoming.
You lean up, placing a kiss on his discoloured jaw before leaning lovingly on his shoulder, causing his head to lean against yours as well.
"You don't have to be sorry."