Chapter XL

Rafe watches as your father puts his arm around you, guiding you to a far corner of the party where a large, marble patterned garden table is situated with a stack of business papers and what looked like blue prints scattered all around.
Your father holds his arm out in front of him towards the few suited men, gesturing for you to walk in front of him.
"Mr.Becket, my daughter Y/N. Y/N, Mr.Becket."
"What an exquisite flower." The older man says, causing you to smile gracelessly at the strange but flattering compliment.
"It's nice to meet you Mr.Becket." You say, holding your hand out for a handshake. He looks at it strangely as it was odd in his blood line to shake hands with a woman, for it was much more desirable to offer a kiss on either cheek, you retract the handshake slowly, worried that you had already embarrassed your father within the first 30 seconds of meeting his guests.
Your father forces an awkward smile before scooting you over to the side where your eyes are met with another mans, much younger and possibly your age, dark, messy hair and tall in stature.
"And uh, this is Zane." He says plainly, "The heir to the Becket industries."
Zane smiles handsomely as he leans into you, placing a kiss on either side of your cheek, making you jolt backwards slightly at the sudden notion.
"It's so good to finally meet you, Y/N." He says as he takes in the sight of you in front of him, "and you're just as beautiful up close."
"Oh?" You say confused at the strange remark, "well it's a pleasure meeting you too...uh?"
"Zane."
"Right."

Rafe grits his teeth as he watches your interaction with the boy he had met by chance earlier. He leans against a wall with Topper with a beer in both their hands as Topper engages in conversation with Rafe that he couldn't be any less interested in.
"Hellooo? Are you even listening?" Topper says as he waves a hand in front of Rafes face.
To no response, he follows Rafes line of sight that leads to you that seemingly looked as if you were flirting with a noir haired boy. Topper huffs a laugh of entertainment.
"You're still hooked on her?"
Rafe turns his attention to Topper, his face unusually soft unlike it normally is and this surprises him.
"Well, have you even hit 3rd base yet? 2nd base? Anything?" He asks.
"She said she needs time."
"So she's holding out on you. You know what that means in girl code?"
Rafe turns towards Topper again, intrigued. Hopeful for a solution that could up his chances with you even a little bit.
"It means she's just not interested, buddy."
Rafes stomach drops painfully at those words. He sighs before pushing himself off of the wall and making his way to the ice box, desperate for another beer, something to cool his rising nerves. Toppers words of 'advice' combined with the sight of you getting friendly with another boy, wasn't doing behavioural issues any favours.

"Cute, isn't she?....too bad she came with a date."

"Tch." Rafe grits his teeth again as he pops the cap of a beer.
"Did I say something?" Topper asks as he places a hand on Rafes tense shoulder.
"No dude, just..." Rafe begins, hesitant to open up to Topper, "just back off bro." He spits, shrugging Toppers hand off of his shoulder.
"Whatever man." Topper looks around the party and at all the guests as they danced and gossiped before his eyes land on a certain somebody in the crowd and speaking again, "you know, you could try your luck with Heather." He says daringly as he points a finger towards the girl dressed in a boring black, tacky dress.
"Appalling, Topper. Even for you." Rafe mumbles, referring to Toppers era with Sarah. He takes a deep swig of his beer as he continues to watch you with Zane, the distrustful feeling overwhelms his body as his words replay in his head.

"Too bad she came with a date."

"Care to grab a martini with me?" Zane says as he holds his hand out gentlemanly.
"Why not." You smile, accepting his hand before he places yours onto his arm and guiding you away from both your fathers as they resumed business.
"Your house is lovely by the way, the garden especially."
"Oh. Thank you. It's my mother's way of ignoring her alcoholic urges." You say carelessly, earning a questionable look from Zane.
"Oh."
"Sorry, that was a bit out of nowhere, wasn't it?"
"No,no. I don't mind" he laughs, "actually good to familiarise myself with the bosses family."
"Boss?" You ask confused.
"Your dad didn't tell you? Our family's are working together on this new project, something about properties and land ownership, I'm in charge of all the profits." He says proudly.
You smile cluelessly at his words. You've never been one for business anything. Nor profits. Heck, you were just a girl who would ditch your wealthy family to hang out with your groupies in an old, run down van. Nothing formal ever intrigued you in the slightest.
"Business partners, huh?" You puff a laugh.
"That's us." He responds.

As you near the post with the alcoholic beverages and mixers, You walk past Rafe who was also standing by the alcoholic beverages and settling on a beer. Your eyes quickly link with his as he stares deeply into yours as you walk by, envy almost certain in his eyes.
"Sorry." You mouth to him silently, earning a sigh from Rafe in return.

"So, that blonde boy you were with earlier...where is he?" Zane asks.
"Hm?" You hum confused as you whip your head from Rafes direction to his, "oh! Jj? I'm not quite sure."
"You oughta find a better date than that Y/N, the least you deserve is a runaway."
Zanes gutsy choice of words makes you turn your head sternly towards his, better angling your eye contact with him as he reaches for a martini, unaware of the death glare being sent to him from behind.
"Sorry, Date?" You ask, "and he's not a runaway."
Zane turns his gaze towards you as he reaches for a second martini, "is he not your date?" He asks pathetically hopeful as he hands you a glass.
"Certainly not." You laugh
"So, no date?" He asks with a sly, side smile.
You avert your eyes towards the grass as you anxiously fiddle with the olive on a pick in your glass, embarrassed by his question.
Did you really not have a date to your own party?
"Well-" you begin before a large body makes itself present beside you.
"Zane? Was it?" Rafes voice drones down next to you as he towers over your small figure.

Zane stares at Rafe bleakly as he runs his tongue across his pearly teeth, "yeah." He nods before returning his attention back to you as you lean into Rafes body with relief. His hand snakes protectively around your waist and Zane notices.

"You're her date?" He asks impatiently.
"Guess you could say that." Rafe smiles with a hint of intensity in his eyes as he waits for Zane to say something stupid.
After all, Rafe took pleasure in interrupting the two of you knowing full well that Zane had his eyes set on you since the beginning of the night. As for Zane, he wouldn't have guessed that the only Cameron son was involving himself with the only Y/L/N daughter. Zanes gears in his brain started to turn as he glanced between you and Rafe. He reads your body language around Rafe as Rafe reads Zanes and Zanes, vice versa.