Chapter LXXXI

Rafe smiles at the messily speckled flowers in your hair, knowing that if you were aware of the petals stranded within it, you'd want him to remove them. But he lets them stay.
"What is it?" You ask.
"Nothing." He says, "you're just beautiful as always."
You smile up at him with loving eyes before placing a soft kiss on his cheek, making his face flush with a warm sensation all the way down from the core of his very heart.
He scootches over to sit closer beside you, knees now touching as he leans over your lap to gaze down at the flowers in your hand but the face of the girl that bares them was far more worth admiring as he finds himself glancing at your gentle face just inches from his own.
"Aren't they pretty?" You ask, unaware.
"Very." He says, adorning you in secret.

Placing his thumb on your chin and his finger underneath, he lifts your face up to meet his, kissing you softly. Your lips instantly start to move against his as if it was second nature to you, making it easy for him to deepen the kiss when he pleased.
He pulls away after a few short moments, only centimetres between your lips and his now as he breathes against yours, catching his breath while you do the same.
"What was that for?" You ask as a smile begins to form.
"I couldn't help myself." He says, placing one last final kiss on the tip of your nose. "I'm sorry."
"Why are you sorry, Rafe?" You giggle.
"Because sometimes I don't know how I'll manage to keep myself away from you." He smiles.
You let the small flowers escape your fingers as they spill out onto the grass before wrapping your arms around the back of his neck, resting them on his shoulders.
"That's not such a bad thing." You say, pulling him down with you as you lay on the grass, "I quite like having you around."
"It's not too much?"
"It's just enough."

The sun had now set. The sky was exchanging its pinks and oranges for greens and blues as the day began to dim into night. Out on the cut served a different kind of afterglow, while Rafe was used to street lights and loud neighbourhoods, The Chateau sat isolated and peaceful, the only light being those it's decorated in and that of the sky's dusk.

Rafe smiles down at you as he props himself over the top of your body, his hands in the grass by either side of your head with his hair draped around his face while your own hair was sprawled out like a mosaic of the small flowers and their tiny white petals that he felt resembled you in a way.
The flowers, like you, were wild yet beautiful.
"I can't even begin to tell you how lucky you make me feel." He says.
Your heart races. It was no secret, the fact that Rafe adored you but being the one and only person to see this side of him really made you fall all the more in love with him.
"-ever since I first laid eyes on you, you have made me feel things I never imagined could be possible and then I met you and...I have loved you every day since."
"Rafe..." His name rolls off of your tongue so sweetly as you bring your hand down to his cheek, feeling the electricity of his happiness in the form of warmth.
"I wanna call you mine, Y/N...Can I?" He asks, making you combust into a bright smile.
"I was yours the moment you first punched Kelce in the face." You laugh as happy tears gracefully glisten in your eyes. He smiles widely before coming down for another kiss while your hand on his cheek smoothly readjusts to the back of his neck, pulling him down into you. You kiss him tenderly as you feel his hand slowly running up your side and around to your lower back, pulling your hips closer towards his with a firm grip.

Rafes worries about you and Jj were finally soothed, feeling a sense of reassurance, at last.
Until your arms began to press against his chest, pushing him away as you turn your head to the side.
"What's wrong?" He asks, worried that he might have pushed it too far with you.
"Shh!" You hush him, "do you hear that?"
"Hear what?"
Your hand swiftly moves to his mouth, encouraging nothing, not even a word, but silence as he listens closely for what it is you might be hearing. The only thing to be heard out this far in the cut was crickets and John B's chickens. His rooster too as it coo's loudly and quite irritatingly.
"That rooster doesn't do that unless there's somebody here." You whisper, removing your hand from his lips.
"Roosters do that. There's nobody here, Y/N."
He says until the chirping of the crickets come to a complete and utter stop, creating a deafening silence as if something big had scared them away;
and then it began to add up to him.
Rafe can't help the smirk on his face when he remembered that everybody except Jj was asleep and he certainly wouldn't put it past Jj to be stalking the girl he's clearly obsessed with as well as the guy he's in competition with; so he leans down again, mischievously now rather than passionately.
"Rafe, what're you doing? I'm serious!" You pout, squirming out from underneath him as you sit up.
"It's just Jj, the guy doesn't have anything better to do." Rafe says as he stands up, brushing the grass off of his clothes before beginning to make his way to the chickens pen which was on the other side of the yard. He only made it to as far as the hot tub was, alongside the large tree when Jj came bursting out of the back door with a packet of chips in his hand from inside.
"You know this door is paper thin, right?" Jj says as he stuffs his face one chip after the other, showing no interest in anything else.

Rafes face hardens but not at Jj and his impertinent attitude; but instead, at the unexplainable cause of the rooster and the crickets. He turns around to you still sitting on the grass, seeing your eyebrows furrow with uneasiness as you cross your arms over your chest for comfort.
"Stay with Y/N." He tells Jj, which earned himself a confused glare from the other boy.
Rafes pace quickens as he rounds the house, his body tensed and ready for anything but when he turns the corner, he's met with nothing. Even the rooster had suddenly quieted down.
His eyes scan the yard thoroughly, seeing many dark silhouettes that could easily be mistaken for people but were in fact only old surfboards and a variety of shovels amongst other tools. Despite the gut feeling taunting him in the pit of his stomach and the intense adrenaline running though his veins, he makes his way back to you with no sign of an intruder.
"There's nobody around." He says, admittedly not convinced for himself.
"But- the rooster..." you mumble.
"The rooster?" Jj asks, "Is somebody gonna tell me what's going on?"