2) ...and Ends

Anger and determined resolution. That was what led Alicia's footsteps towards the main deck. A sense of nausea hit her as she manned the same cannons her father had and towards the same ship that he had. Redness began to make way into her eyes as brown boards materialized into her vision with golden letters looming over them- SERENITY. She found it ironic that a ship captioned calmness was the home to the most savage pirates around the world. She however had stopped doubting it the moment her eyes had found her father's coffin.

"Fire up the cannons. Mark your targets and shoot on my order." the captain called over.

"Three....two...." he called as the sailors filled the gun powder and struck a matchstick to light up the fuse.

However, before he could give the final signal the sky turned dark. Alicia peeked up to see eight-nine round balls moving in the air gaining upon them. Realisation dawned on her as she learnt that the pirates had shot first.

"BRACE YOURSELVES!!!" someone shouted as Alicia ducked towards the nearest cannon shielding her head with her hands taking cover under it. A deafening roar sounded in the air as the cannonballs made touch with their targets causing mayhem on the deck.

Alicia opened her eyes and rotated her head. A scene of total destruction met her eyes. Every ball had met its target. Though she didn't see any causalities, at first sight, the ship was in total disaster. She quickly stole a glance towards the sea and saw the ship gaining on them. She looked towards her hand and was surprised to find the matchstick still present there. She looked at the cannon she had ducked under and noticed it filled with gunpowder. Without thinking about it the second time, she lighted the fuse and fired it. She saw the cannon go in the air when something struck her. In her haste, she hadn't checked the projectile of the cannon. The cannon soared in the air and kept soaring high hitting the water long behind the ship. She cursed herself for her stupidity. Her one chance was gone.

Her eyes scanned the deck for more gunpowder or even a matchstick while her hands worked on their own to set the course of the weapon.

"ALICIA!" she turned around to see her mentor Stanley staring at her. "Stop toying around with the cannons and help us. We need the medicinal kit. Get it from below deck." he shouted at her.

As though the words had bought her out of a trance, she looked around to see many people injured from the attack. How could she have missed it? Her head turned around to see the ship coming towards theirs' and her mind registered the scene on the deck. As if suddenly realising the graveness of the situation her legs started running on their own to the below deck. She found the emergency kit and ran back to the deck handing it over to Stanley. Stanley grabbed some cotton and bandages from the kit to help a sailor lying on his foot. Mentally scolding herself for ignoring her friends and colleagues Alicia herself grabbed some antiseptic to help some of them herself.

As she made her way towards the stern, she recognised Fiore sitting on the deck holding his own bleeding leg. She ran towards him making herself comfortable beside him. "What is it?" she asked.

"A piece of wood got stuck in my leg as I fell on the deck. I don't think it's that deep but still, it's hurting pretty badly."

"Don't look at it. It will hurt more," she said as she gently removed it.

"Ouch!!" he screamed at her.

She smirked at him. "Sorry!" Gently applying antiseptic over the wound, she continued in a solemn voice "Why did you fall on the deck, though?"

"The cannons were perfectly aimed. One of them directly hit the..."

"LOOK OUT!"

She turned around just in time to see a dozen pirates swinging their way onto their ship.