7) Meeting Mr Jerk Face

Lead-based ceruse, rouge, lipstick and mouches lined up Dora's dressing table as she beautified herself after lunch. The previous day was very different for Dora and me. While she immensely enjoyed her day- buying jewellery, going to a pub and tasting out various new drinks and laughing with Beatrice and Lionel as she told them about her day, I only remember parts of it.

After the attack I woke up freaking out, running all the events in my head. The first action was to check my waist and I was relieved to find my chain belt there. After the initial panic, I calmed down to review my situation which led to two discoveries. First of all, someone had attacked me. Someone had not only known my presence but had even managed to attack me without attacking my host. Secondly, my chain belt was still with me. This meant that the purpose of the attack was something apart from stealing the belt. But if not that, whatever in the world could it be?

Fierce horses of my mind ran round and round about Dora's calm head and it was only yesterday night that I managed to seize their reins and break off their run. Calming their stampede, I convinced my brain that everything was alright and I was back to being just a normal wight at the back of Dora's mind in the morning. Dora, who was completely unaware of her last night's inner turmoil, proceeded her day in a completely normal way. Waking up late she reached the breakfast table barely on time where her mother once again showered her with advice to become a decent lady. Dora decided to ignore her and concentrated on her toast and potato scone (which was a very good decision in my opinion) when Nicholas whispered in her ear "A proper lady should eat less, do you not believe so?"

Dora turned to glare at him when Edward, who was sitting on her other side, remarked. "A proper lady does not even leave her house to go wander in the markets behind her parents' back."

Nicholas' lips moved to form an O as though he just realised something important. "Right!" he exclaimed "A proper lady does not even go to a tavern to consume drinks."

"Exactly. A proper lady does not go in dark alleyways where strangers or ghosts might be lurking to harm her." Edward teased putting special emphasis on ghosts as if he wanted to prove to her how ridiculous she was the day before.

Dora, who was constantly snapping her head around, following the conversation, suddenly whisper yelled in shock "Who told you all of this? It was supposed to be a secret."

"A gentleman never kisses and tells," Nicholas said with a smirk.

"I am going to murder you gentleman." Dora fumed.

"Really unladylike," Edward said rolling his eyes while Nicholas chuckled.

"Alright! Do not tell me where you learnt it from...just...um... do not tell mother." Dora said with hesitation.

"You have so little confidence in us sister." Nicholas feigned hurt while Edward gave her a 'can you believe it' look. "Of course, we would not tell her. It is a sibling thing." he continued giving Dora a genuine smile.

Dora smiled back, releasing a breath and finished her breakfast after which she retired to her room to progress with her reading. However, before that, she decided to doll up herself which bought us to her dressing table.

She was busy applying various products to her face while I was busy thinking about what Edward had said. For him and Dora, ghosts don't exist but the same can't be said for me. It was true that I had convinced myself that no major damage had taken place in that alley yesterday, but one can never be too careful. Besides nothing interesting had ever taken place in my life. Never before I had been provided with an opportunity and a reason to take control of my host's body and do something adventurous. The hunger for quest and thrill took over me and I flipped the first hook on the left side of the buckle.