Carnage of Krell [3]

Krell growled when Skysati and Rex approached his cell.

"Why, Krell?" Skysati questioned, "Why kill your men?"

Krell chuckled "Because I can. Because you fell for it because you're inferior,"

"But you're a Jedi." Rex said, "How could you?"

"A Jedi?" Krell laughed "I am no longer naive enough to be a Jedi. A new power is rising. I've foreseen it. The Jedi are going to lose this war, and the Republic will be ripped apart from the inside. In its place is going to rise a new order, and I will rule as part of it,"

"You're a separatist,"

"I serve no one's side, only my own. And soon, my new master,"

"You're an agent of Dooku,"

"Not yet. But when I get out of here, I will be. After I've succeeded in driving the Republic from Umbara, the Count will reward my actions and make me his new apprentice,"

"How could you do this?" Dogma asked from his cell "You had my trust, my loyalty. I followed all of your orders, and you made me kill my brothers!"

Krell laughed as he faced Dogma "That's because you were the biggest fool of them all, Dogma. I counted on blind loyalty like yours to make my plan succeed,"

"That will never happen," Skysati argued. "You're a traitor, Krell, and you will be dealt with as one,"

"You never learn, Cyneus. The Umbarans are going to retake this space, and when they do, I will be free,"

"That's where you're wrong Krell. I have learned, that's why you're in there and I'm out here,"

***

"General, we've repaired the transmitter." A Trooper said once Skysati and Rex exited the brig "It looks like it was sabotaged. We received a message from General Kenobi. His forces have captured the capital, but the remaining Umbarans are heading here,"

"Get everyone on the perimeter," Rex ordered. "We need to prepare for a full-scale attack,"

"Yes sir," The trooper saluted.

Rex looked at Skysati "Krell sabotaged the transmitter. He's been against us from the beginning,"

"If the Umbarans get to him, he'll turn over all our intel..." Fives pointed out. "The defense codes, everything. He'll strike a crippling blow to the Republic,"

"Something has to be done," Jesse proclaimed. "We can't risk the possibility that he might escape,"

"As long as Krell's alive," Skysati sighed "he is a threat to every one of us,"

"I agree," Rex said.

***

Fives escorted Dogma out of his cell as Skysati held out her hand for one of Rex's blasters.

"You don't have to do this," Rex told Skysati as he handed her the blaster.

"Yes," Skysati said as she took the blaster "I do," she walked closer to Krell's cell. "Turn around." Skysati ordered Krell "Step toward the wall,"

Krell did as told.

"On your knees,"

Krell chuckled "You're in a position of power now. How does it feel?"

"I said, 'On your knees," Skysati repeated.

Krell knelt to the ground "It feels good, doesn't it? But I can sense your fear. You're shaking. Aren't you?"

"Don't let him get to you General," Rex reminded.

"What are you waiting for?" Krell demanded "The Umbarans are getting closer,"

"I have to do this," Skysati told herself.

"You can't do it, can you? Tell me, is it because of what you believe Master Kenobi will think of you or because I remind you too much of your previous master Cad Bane,"

Zap!

Skysati stared down Krell's fallen body before handing the blaster back to Rex.

***

Skysati stood with Rex as Dogma was escorted onto the ship.

"General Kenobi's battalion have routed the last holdouts of Umbarans, and we've secured all sectors," Fives reported. "We did it. We took Umbara,"

"At what cost?" Skysati said as she looked over the wounded clones. "I mean, why?"

"I don't know, Sky," Fives admitted. "I don't think anybody knows. But I do know that someday this war is gonna end,"

"Then what?" Rex wondered "We're soldiers. What happens to us then?"