[chapter swenty seven] darkness has come again

˚୨୧ ˚

"Dear Aires.

I am so sorry for what this has come to, that you had to have been the one to find me. The truth was, I don't have any else. My mother and sister gave me to the coven, they allowed me to suffer for weeks on end without the bat of an eye. I can no longer trust them. I couldn't take the chance of the coven finding out, I wouldn't go back to New York, never. This was the only way out for me, to finally get out. I love you so much, you have always been a solid person in my life and I can't thank you enough for helping me in the darkest of times.

Before we part, I have a few things I never got the chance to tell you. Firstly, the coven knows secrets, secrets you haven't been told. I promise you they are true, you can't let them get to you though. Second, you need to search the shelves in your grandmother's living room and find a box, it should have a small lock on it but you can break it with your magic. Only you can get into it.

I love you with all my heart, stay strong and fight.

Love Brynn."

A single tear rolled down Aires' cheek as she sat in the Sheriff's station. She had given her statement to Noah as did Sage, except Aires was a wreck. She had barely been able to speak without sobs escaping her lips. The night had taken a dark change, one the Hale was still struggling to process. Brynn took her own life because Aires went to her for help, for information. A strong wave of nausea hit her, her body threw itself forwards as the contents of her lunch came flying up, the strong stench of alcohol still on her breath.

"Hey there kid." Noah whispered, pulling her hair out of her face. "It's okay, you're okay."

Her throat burned, her lungs felt like they were on fire. She mentally made a promise to herself to never drink again, though she knew it was a promise she would never keep.

"Stiles is going to take you home, he's waiting outside in the jeep for you."

Aires nodded, finding herself unable to use words. From the time she made it to the jeep to arriving at the McCall home, she fell asleep, peacefully sleeping in the passenger seat with her head resting against the window.

She stirred, the feeling of her body being carried bringing her back into consciousness.

"My dad said for me to bring her home, she's drunk so she was throwing up at the station. She has barely said a word since she found her body." Stiles' soft voice echoed through the room, it radiated comfort, something the girl desperately needed.

"Thank you for bringing her back." Melissa whispered, sadness lacing her tone.

Minutes later, she felt the familiar softness of her bed. She had no clue where Sage was or where she was staying, she wasn't able to ask earlier and deeply started to regret it. The warmth that had carried her into her room, jolting her awake. Her arm instantly stretched out, latching her hand onto his.

"Please stay." She whispered, her eyes fluttering open.

Stiles knew he could never say no to her, especially when she was in this state. "Of course." He whispered, taking off his shoes.

The boy was already in his pajamas, meaning he must've been asleep before his dad called. A pang of guilt smacked her in the chest, why did people keep sacrificing things for her? Stiles slid in her bed, maintaining a distance between the two that Aires instantly closed. She rolled onto her side, scooting her body as close to his as she could. Her head rested on top of his chest, her arms wrapping around his neck. For a second his body froze, he had never been so close to her before however he knew it was strictly platonic. She needed him, her best friend. He wrapped his arms around her back, holding her against him. Aires let out a short sigh, burying her face into his chest. His warmth was all she needed to fall asleep.