[chapter seven] the tragic secret love affair

'✧∘* ˚.

One year ago...

It was early April and the New York air was starting to change, Aires was in her freshman year at one of the city's best private schools- and for once, everything seemed okay.

"Happy birthday, beautiful." Sage whispered in the girl's ear before spinning Aires around and planting a kiss on the girl's lips.

"Why thank you." Aires whispered, a hint of a smile on her lips.

"Did I mention how beautiful you look?" Sage whispered whilst tucking a strand of hair behind the girl's ear.

"You're so sickeningly sweet." The Hale shot back with a playful roll of her eyes.

"You love it."

With another roll of her eyes, Aires fell back onto her bed, her eyes on the ceiling as she resisted the urge to smile at her girlfriend's presence. Though she missed Beacon Hills and her two best friends, she never wanted to leave New York.

Everything was different. The air was different, the school was different.

And she had Sage.

And they had their own secret love affair- something that wouldn't have happened if they were in Beacon Hills.

"Lets sneak into a ball later tonight." The brunette suddenly suggested bringing a snort from Aires lips.

"What?" She muttered whilst pushing herself up on her elbows.

"Let's sneak out later. We can crash the ball that's happening on the upper east side."

"Sage." Aires mumbled with a soft shake of her head. "You're not being serious."

"Oh come on Aires, please."

"Fine." The Hale shot back. "Whatever, let's crash this ball."

"I'm glad you came to your senses."

"Whatever."

'✧∘* ˚.

Aires pov...

Sage was back.

Sage was in Beacon Hills.

Sage...

It infuriated me so badly, I couldn't breathe. I was suffocating inside my own skin, and it was because of her sudden presence. She had thrown my world upside down, she had come crashing into an already ongoing tragedy and added fuel to the fire.

I hated her.

The weekend had gone by in a blur, mostly consisting of me locked up in my room- ignoring my two best friends. They were the cause for my brother being thrown in jail, once again they had gone ahead with a plan without consulting me first. And the damage they had caused was catastrophic.

"Aires." Lydia snapped with a sickeningly sweet smile.

"Yes." I hissed back through clenched teeth.

"Pay attention."

With a roll of my eyes, I mindlessly followed the girl into the cafeteria. Though I was too in my own mind to realise who's table she had made us join.

"Figure out what?" Lydia asked whilst I dropped my gaze onto the table, ignoring Stiles' guilty frown that was directed my way.

I couldn't look at him- I couldn't. Not when he had caused my already fucked up life to become even more messed up. He knew Derek was in town and he didn't tell me.