362

362 -

To say that Olive is thrilled with my decision to toy with Alex Stanton would be the understatement of the century. She squealed, she hugged me, she promised she would help me through it all. I don't need the help; Alex is nothing I can't handle. All he is, is an arrogant boy who needs to get knocked off his pedestal. If there is anything I can do to leave this world a better place it will be that.

The only problem is that I have no idea how to.

"Dakota!"

I whip my head around, confused as to who is calling my name. I see Luke - another friend - jog to catch up with me. His breath is in front of him as fog as he smiles. "How's it going?" He asks, pulling me into a side hug.

"Alright," I smile as we descend the staircase. I have to concentrate not to fall because I have so many books in my arms I can't see the stairs.

"It's better than bad though, right?"

"Right," I nod.

He follows me to my locker, gossiping like a girl. It is all 'he said she said' drama that circulates our school on a daily basis.

"Oh, and I heard you are the next victim," he frowns. It's not as if Luke has anything against Alex - they're best friends - but he hates his moral's; or rather, his lack thereof.

"I'm only a victim if he succeeds."

"And that's not going to happen?" He holds the cafeteria door open and I walk through, scanning the buzzing room.

"Of course not," I say, catching his eye so that he knows I'm serious.

"Good. He's an asshole."

"He's your best friend."

"Okay I'll rephrase. He's an asshole to girls."

That he is.

Luke leads me through the students, huddling together even though it is warm in here. The twelvies use winter - - especially the days it's snowing - as an excuse to cuddle, well, anyone of the opposite sex; or same sex if that's what they are into. I'm not against gays, rather against the entire twelve-year-old population.

By the time we get to the table at the back corner of the canteen - our hidden spot - I've been bumped around so many times I'm sure I have bruises. The cold metal table and benches are half full, with the majority of our friends there already.

Olive is sitting near the end of the table so I sit opposite, with Luke beside her.

"Hey Dakota," the only other girl in our circle of friends, Lacey, greets me with a grin before it turns into a look of concern. "I heard about Alex."

"I can't believe he's trying with one of our own!" Ryan says. He, among all the other boys at our table , is one of the football boys. He is the main ruck-man so he is tall, built and... funny. He's the comedian of the group.

"I know. He usually goes for anyone else. Does that mean we'll be next?" Lacey asks, directing her question across the table to Olive. Lacey looks worried, with her blue eyes wide like a deer caught in headlights. Olive shrugs it off.

"I doubt it."

"Are you doubting my abilities to get in your best friend's pants?" We all turn to see Alex with a smirk on his face, as he stands at the head of the table behind Joshua. "Owch Olive, I'm hurt."

He starts to walk around the table and I hope he doesn't sit on the bench beside me. He does.

"Come on Alex," Joshua says, crossing his arms over his muscly chest. "Surely you're not trying to get in with one of our own."