141

141

It feels weird to think that I will never attend high school again. At the end of January I won't be going back to school. I don't quite believe it yet, but I think it will set in when the school year starts in a month and a bit.

As I expected, the end of the school year and the pre-Christmas celebrations have gone by in a blur. Between Graduation, the graduation party, Dad's side of the family's Christmas celebrations and doctor's appointments, I've hardly had time to breathe let alone see anyone.

Which is why my best friend and I are having a movie night, hauled up on the couch with the best of the best. Olive is staying here from today (Christmas Eve) to Boxing Day as per tradition. Her mum always ends up working over the Christmas holidays so we've made it normal for her to spend the days with us. On the odd occasion that her mum isn't working then she comes here too. That's happened once. Ever.

"How was the doctors appointment yesterday?" Olive asks. We're sitting in the lounge room at opposing ends of the couch, a bowl of popcorn between us. She picks up a handful of buttery goodness.

"Eh. The usual," I shrug. "Unfortunately, nothing has improved. You still have a gross looking peritoneum, you're still dying, etcetera etcetera."

I pick up the remote and start flipping it in my hands.

"Are they really hoping for something to improve?" She asks, doubting the medical practitioners. She has good reason to, really. When she was around eight or nine she broke the bone in her wrists, and it was a really bad break too. She went to the doctors and they said it was just a 'sprain' and to take some Panadol every 5-8 hours until the pain subsided. Long story short she ended up with a worse broken wrist and cast on it for ten weeks. She doesn't really like or trust doctors all that much.

"Dr. Patrick wants me to get better so he's thinking positively. He's saying that he's working on something and doing some research but I'm not expecting anything. There's nothing he, or anyone, can do."

"Yeah, he's probably just bullshitting you. Stupid doctors..." Olive huffs, snatching the remote from my hands and switching on the television. She flicks through the channels at a rate of which you can't actually see what program is on. Within sixty seconds she clicks the TV off and chucks the remote back to me.

"You know what we haven't done in a while? Look at your Before I Was Barbarously Murdered In His Own Home By Gages Bloody Troops To Do List.Shall we?"

I look at my best friend as if she has grown three horns, some wings and a tail. And then I burst laughing, shaking my head. "That's... A... New... One," I say as I try to catch my breath.

Olive beams, stands up and puts her hands in her jeans pockets. "I've been on the website for some new material recently," she informs me and then skips off. I hear her loud footsteps up the stairs to come thudding back in only a minute with my shiny laptop in her hands. She sits back on the couch beside me and flips open the lid, tapping in my password and navigating to the Word Document.

"Okay, you've done that," she says, striking try alcohol off the list.

"And technically you've done that," she tells me, crossing off swim with dolphins. I suppose technically I have and that's as close as I'm going to get I think. We cross off a few more items before we are left with the updated list, with only four things left:

2. Have s-e-x

11. Learn a new language

13. Sleep outside

14. Learn to play at least one song on a musical instrument

Technically I can play one song on a musical instrument but I want to learn a song on something other than piano.