222

222

Everyone is at the table by 9am, including the twins and Willow's parents; Emma and Neil. This is where Alex informs me we will be having palatschinken for breakfast. He explains they are Austrian pancakes, but are closer to crepes than the thick pancakes we have here. You can eat them savory or sweet, and Alex and Willow convince me to try a ham and cheese one.

They are delicious.

At about 10am everyone is finished so Jana puts foil over them for Alex's parents. That is when Alex gets tense. He asks me to pack my things so I do, and then we put them in the hire car that Fletcher is driving for us. He has something to do is going back to University today so he will drop the car off for us and then head to campus.

Everything is perfectly planned out but that doesn't seem to make Alex any less anxious. We have returned to the table and he keeps quiet, tapping his hands on his legs. His eyes keep glancing up to the clock in the kitchen and I want to suggest that we should just leave now if it makes him feel better.

When it gets to twenty past ten, Fletcher stands up. "I'm going to drop Alex and Dakota at the airport and then get back to campus for my afternoon class."

Alex's grandfather frowns, his gaze on Alex. "Your parents here soon."

"I'll just have to see them next time. We really have to go," Alex mutters, going around the table to say goodbye to everyone. Jana walks the three of us out of the house, closing the door behind her.

"Have safe flight," she says, hugging Alex first and then me.

"It very nice to have you, Dakota. Come back soon, will you?"

"I'll try," I smile and start to walk to the hire car when a slick fancy one pulls into the driveway beside it.

Alex freezes beside me and Fletcher curses under his breath, before putting on a fake smile.

The doors open and a man and a woman step out, undeniably Alex's parents. His mother wears a pencil skirt and blouse with a blazer over the top. She has the same dark hair as her son and is pulled into a tight ballerina bun. All her facial features are sharp, including her 'smile' that she puts on.

His father is bulkier than he is, his mass covered in a business suit. His dark hair is gelled into place and his brown eyes are without a glimpse of emotion. His whole look screams professional business man.

Alex is a perfect genetic cross between the two.

"Jacob, Elena," Fletcher greets them, with a nod. He moves to stand beside his cousin, who avoids looking at them.

"Hello Fletcher," Alex's mother, Elena, says, her voice calculating. Her eyes move to her son. "Hello Alexander."

"And who is this?" His father asks, gesturing to me rather rudely.

"A friend," Alex mumbles, looking at the pavement of the driveway.

"Do you have a name, girl?" Unlike when Jana and Cristof refer to me as 'girl', Elena does it in a condescending way that makes my blood boil. I retract my former thought; Alex is nothing like his parents.

"Don't speak to her like that." Alex's voice is cold as he takes my hand. I squeeze it.

"Do not speak to your mother like that," Jacob growls. "After two years, this is all we get? How dare y-"

"Jacob," Jana warns, her voice harsher than I would have thought possible. I look over at her and she is standing her ground, her arms crossed with a stern look on her face. Behind her is Willow, Samuel and their parents, all looking upon the situation. They are not surprised at what they see, rather showing sympathy for Alex.