172

172

My birthday weekend seemed to officially signify the end to all social interaction. It was like a celebration before we have to get working to study for the 'most important exams of our lives'.

I'm studying PE, which is much harder than people make it out to be. Currently, I'm trying to memorize the process of producing energy through the Aerobic System. This involves learning what the Krebs Cycle and the Electron Transport Chain.

My brain hurts.

A phone call vibrates my entire textbook-littered desk, making me jump. It buzzes until I pick it up, not bothering to see who is calling.

"Want to take a break from studying?" It's Alex, of course. "I'm dying over here. I can't memorize one more piece of fucking Bio. I'm done."

"Well I'm dying for some mega unhealthy food and I want to get the Krebs Cycle out of my head."

"Maccas?" He asks. I can hear a jingling of keys in the background.

"Yeah."

"I'll be there in 5."

The line goes dead and I slam my textbook shut. I quickly get out of my tattered sweats and tank top and slip into a dress. It's warm, I'm lazy and dresses are pretty.

The front door opens downstairs, squeaking at the hinges. I grab my purse off my bedside table and pad downstairs, combing my fingers through my hair as I go.

"Going out, I see." Dad's sitting in the lounge room with the 5 o'clock news.

"Yeah," I nod, looking at Alex who is standing with the front door open. He looks dead beat, with purple bruise-like shadows under his eyes. This break is obviously needed. "We need to take a break from studying. I'll be back soon."

"Have fun kids." He turns back to the television.

I walk out the door past Alex and get straight into his car, the one his brother has recently returned to him. Noah managed to finally buy one.

"Why do people want to go to Uni after high school? Aren't they done with all this work and stress?" Alex rants, driving off down the street. The sun is setting slowly as we drive through the quiet neighborhood towards our local McDonalds.

"I don't get it either. It's good if you want to do something like medicine but if you're there to get, I don't know, a bachelor of arts, then you have got to be kidding yourself."

"Tell me about it."

We get to our place of salvation and go to the Drive-Thru. I let Alex order because I know he'll order the best stuff they have. He ends up getting a lot of greasy goodness, making me smile from ear to ear.

He drives the car to the Botanical Gardens and parks. We get out with our takeaway paper bags and set up an improvised picnic by the water fountain.

We dig in, not leaving any room for words, just mumbled sounds of contentment. We finish the contents of both bags. I'm proud of that, but my tummy is not proud of me. It's grumpy.

"God, I feel so fat," I groan, lying back down on the grass.

"Ugh. That was so good." Alex mimics my actions, lying down with his head beside mine. The sky is an endless, uninterrupted stretch of blue which makes me happy. In two weeks exams, high school and all of the stresses that come with the both will be over. After graduation, we are officially free.

Then something strange happens. You know when you are with someone and you can almost feel their mood shift? You can sense them turn from content to discomfort, which is what I am feeling from Alex. I sit up, my eyes on him.