154

154

To celebrate the end of exams and the nearing end of our final year in high school, Luke thought it would be a great idea to go hiking for the weekend. Football season is over, it's forecast for good weather and when Lacey, Olive and I complained, the boys volunteered to carry the tents and sleeping bags.

It's a great way to relax.

Unfortunately Aidan and Joshua both had something else to do so it's just us girls, Beckett, Ryan, Luke and Alex.

We got to Wilson's Promontory about an hour ago and we are still getting ready to go. Well, the boys are. Us girls have been ready for half an hour and are now just sitting on a log, basking in the sun.

"Isn't this a change? The boys taking longer to get ready for the girls," Olive drawls, laughing when they shoot us dirty looks.

I click my hiking boots together and rifle around in my backpack for some food. "I know. At this stage we'll get to camp by the time Hell freezes over," I add, beaming."

"Hurry up," Lacey laughs.

"Well then stop being lazy, get off your asses and help us get our shit together!" Ryan huffs, trying to attach his tent to the backpack. All the boys are having the same problem and considering I've done this before, I figure I should lend a helping hand.

I get up off the very comfortable log and wipe my shorts, leaving my backpack with the girls as I help the boys. I bump Alex out of the way with my hip and crouch down, pushing up the sleeves of my flannel.

"You're meant to put the tent at the bottom of your packs." My hands locate the clips that secures the tent and I show them how it's done. "See?"

Luke and Ryan thank me but grumble it, not liking being shown up by a girl. Alex just looks at me like he's proud, before pinching my side and putting the last bits of food into his pack.

Beckett is the next one finished and when I see that Luke and Ryan have their packs almost together, I head back over to the log.

"Way to go," Lacey grins, her sunglasses taking up half her face.

I slide my sunglasses on and flick one of my two braids over my shoulder. "Thanks."

"You're such a know it all," Olive rolls her eyes but slings one of her arms around me. Her blue eyes flick over to Ryan who is just putting his pack on.

"And you're such a show off." I poke my tongue out at her and she flips me the bird. Then we burst laughing.

"Are you guys finally ready to go?" Olive asks when we get to them, tapping her foot on the dirt track with impatience.

"Yes. Let's go," Luke beams, locking his car and sliding on his pack.

"Lead the way," I gesture in front of us and Luke nods, a look of determination on his face.

The nice, warm weather may have been thought as a plus to our little hiking expedition, but an hour in and we are all sweaty and gross.

"Are we there yet?" Olive and Lacey have taken to chanting, every five minutes or so. They are walking together at the back behind their boys, while Luke is in front of them. Alex and I have wandered ahead, finding their pace a bit too slow. Then again, I'm struggling to keep up with Alex. I haven't been playing netball for a year now and Alex is still training for football, even though the season is over. I'm so unfit.

We're on a wooden path that has been built over shrubs and little streams, with wire mesh to keep us from slipping. It hasn't helped. Around us are tall trees that go on for miles, while the sun pounds down on us from above.