140

140

Christmas, the holiday which is supposed to be the celebration of the birth of Jesus. I think. In the modern society it is the celebration where you eat good food, see family and exchange presents.

My Christmas usually consists of my opening presents with the family bright and early, followed by breakfast and non-Christmas movies on the couch all afternoon. Olive, of course, is a party of this family tradition, which this year has changed.

Instead of watching movies all afternoon we decided to have Alex over for a late lunch or early diner. I can't remember but I'm excited.

Since last night I haven't been able to stop wondering what Alex got me. I know that might be shallow and usually I don't care about presents. Truly, I don't. It's just the fact that a) it's Alex and b) he said he got it for me months ago. It intrigues me.

I wake up to a two year old brother crawling over me, saying the words, "Ko-da. Up!" over and over.

"Do you know what day it is today, Quen?" I ask, still very groggy. My room is dark with the only light shining in through the curtains, but it's enough to see my cutie of a little brother and that my parents are not with him.

He stares at me with wide brown eyes, his blonde curls falling over his eyes.

"It's Christmas. Do you know what that means?" I lie on my back with my knees up, grabbing my brother and putting him with his back leaning against my legs. He's such a cutie, even though he is still looking at me blankly. At least he looks excited.

"It means presents! How exciting is that?"

"Yay," he giggles, clapping his hands together. I wince at the sound, before putting my hands over his tiny ones to stop the noise.

"Okay but Koda needs some more sleep. Do you think you can lie with Koda quietly for a bit?" I lift him up and put him beside me, but he crawls back so that his head is on my stomach and his little body is on the mattress beside me.

"Nigh nighs." He's not at all tired but I know he'll do this for me. God, I never wanted a sibling when I was younger but now that I have Quen, I couldn't imagine life without him. He is the best little brother a girl could ask for.

We lie down for a whole thirty minutes until I can feel Quentin getting restless. He's trying not to move but he keeps rolling around. So I stand up with him in my arms and pad across to Olive's makeshift bed.

"Don't you dare," she grumbles before I can even do anything. I beam and kiss Quentin's forehead before setting him loose on my best friend. He crawls all over his sudo big sister until she has had enough and gets up, picking up Quentin.

"Your sister's a meanie, isn't she Quen?"

I roll my eyes and Olive smiles, and then we hug, squishing my little brother in between us.

"Merry Christmas," I say.

"Merry Christmas, Koda."

I take Quentin back and we head downstairs, grabbing our jumpers before we go. Mum and Dad are in the lounge room when we get there, sitting on the couch with cups of coffee in their hands. Mum's still in her pajamas and Dad's in his sweats and a t-shirt. The curtains are open and the sun is shining on our Christmas tree, with so many presents underneath. Quentin's eyes light up and I set him on the ground. He stumbles over to the glory of the colourful wrapping paper as Olive and I say Merry Christmas to Mum and Dad.

"Do you girls want some coffee?" Dad asks, standing up as Quentin plays among the presents.

"I'd love some, thanks," I smile, while Olive nods on the carpet beside me.