Chapter 22- Feel The Burn

Courtland's POV:

"Oh my God..." I groaned rolling over. Pain wracked itself across my body, every little touch hurt. I looked over and David laid with the bed sheet on his hips.

I rolled over and laid my head on his chest and sighed. He lightly ran his finger tips on my upper arm and I shivered.

"You alright?" He chuckled.

"I'm in so much pain." I said softly.

"You just need to shift." He said moving me slightly to get up. He walked to his closet as I sat up.

"What do you mean 'shift'?" I asked.

"You need to shift." He said again shoving on a pair of shorts. He went into my closet and tossed out a sports bra and shorts.

"Come on." He said. I shoved on the clothing and Riley followed us down the hallway.

"The first shift is based on adrenaline. The more adrenaline you get the easier the shift is. Less adrenaline means more pain." He said.

"Well how do I get adrenaline that easily?" I asked.

"Oh it's simple. Especially because you have a mate." He smirked. I drowned as we went outside and stepped into the forest; we came to a small clearing where he turned to me and grabbed my waist. He pressed his mouth against mine forcefully and he moved my hair away from my neck. As he moved towards my jaw my body slowly began to set on fire, my breathing laboured quickly and I felt uncomfortable in my own skin.

Finally he got to my neck and something happened. A sensitive spot must have been there because once he kissed it an animalistic growl erupted from my chest. I never heard anything like it. He bit down harshly breaking the skin and I gasped and he backed away. My bones cracked loudly as I turned from a small girl to a large animal. David smiled approvingly and shifted too, although his looked much easier. Riley barked and ran ahead and David motioned for me to follow.

I frowned but followed and my paws latched onto the ground. It was like I wasn't even running but instead I was grabbing the ground and launching myself as far as I could. The way the wind blew past my fur was amazing, the sound of trees whipping by was the best sound ever.

We circled our way back to the clearing and my body panted and fell tiredly.

"Think of your human self." David ordered. I thought of what I was wearing and my hair and soon enough my bones were cracking back to shape. I got up brushing off the dirt and sighed pleased.

"That was fun." I smiled.

"Yea, we have to run almost everyday." He said.

"Why?"

"The shift can happen at any point where adrenaline is being pumped. If we shift once a day we can control it more. So that's why we run every morning. As you get older your adrenaline subsides a little bit and you mature more. But right now at this stage out adrenaline is at its peak." He explained. I nodded and then an idea crossed my mind.

"What if something happens at school?"

"That's why the teachers insist on no PDA because that's what gets werewolves going. They tell us to do it at home." He laughed.

"So what now?" I asked.

"What do you mean?"

"You're alpha now, after graduation where are you going?" I asked.

"We are coming here."

"'We'?"

"Yes 'we' you are my mate." He said walking past me.

"No post-secondary?" I asked catching up to him.

"No." He said walking up the steps and into the pack house. People greeted him good morning and looked at me stunned.

"Good morning, Luna." Someone said.

"Luna? Who is that?" I asked.

"Alpha male's mate, is called a Luna. She represents compassion that the alpha doesn't show. She assists the alpha in decisions."

"So that's what they will call me now?" I asked.

"It's a title of respect. They will refer to me as alpha and to you as Luna."

"This is a lot to take in." I sighed.

"I know. But you can do it and I will help you." He smiled grabbing my hand and kissing the top.

"I love you, Court." He said and I smiled happily.

"And I love you...alpha." I smiled and he shook his head.