Chapter n°1

Sunbeams shine through large windows as someone decides to finally open the old heavy curtains filling the big room with daylight. Adalene has been up for few hours already but decided to stay in bed to enjoy last moments in her bedroom. The girl looks out at the view of her family garden engraving the image of the landscape to her memory, a little ritual of hers every year on the same day. A knock on her door interrupts her train of thoughts.
"Miss Adalene! We are leaving in an hour!" Aunt May calls out before returning to her chores. The woman wasn't Adalene's real aunt, she has been her babysitter since she was a baby and when the little girl grew up the woman had stayed in the family residence to take care of the young lady and the whole household with the help of other staff.

Adalene sighs returning to her bed eyeing an envelope for Miss Adalene Iris York and a neatly folded pile of clothing. It was her Hogwarts uniform. Her fingers feel the soft fabric before they meet with a cold surface. It's a silver and green colored badge with silver capital P in the middle. P as in for prefect. The blonde girl can't help but to smile a little with excitement running down her spine making her shiver.

-//-//-//-

"Miss Adalene, are you sure you have everything you need?" Aunt May's eyes are filled with sadness from saying goodbye to her young protégée like every year when she sends her off to the School of Whitchcraft and Wizardry. Meeting her sad eyes, the newly selected prefect smiles and nods a little before hugging the woman. Other students are already getting on the train prepared to spend the next year away from their families.
"I will miss you, auntie. Take care of yourself while I'm gone. I will send you owls." Adalene mumbles softly to the fabric of May's scarf. Aunt May nods and lets go of the girl fixing her long wavy hair in mother gesture. The blonde takes her school bag and smiles for the last time before turning away and walking to the front carriage. People are passing around her, saying their last goodbyes, as the girl looks back to see that aunt May has already left. Dear Merlin, how they both hated to say goodbyes.

"Hey, York!" A familiar voice stops Adalene from reaching hand to hold onto the handle on the train's door and making her turn into that direction although she already knew where the call came from. A smile which soon turned into a smirk appeared on her face her eyes landing on a male walking proudly towards her, his prefect badge reflecting morning sunbeams.
"Jaemin Na. What a surprise, still haven't been turned into a narcissus huh?" Adalene jokes making the approaching male snort and chuckle. "And our princess made another year without anyone turning her into a toad?" He replies to her mocking note before stopping right in front of her, eyeing the female from head to toe before meeting her eyes. After a short staring contest which felt much longer and as if the world around just disappeared for both of them Adalene breaks the eyecontact making Jaemin smirk following her into the train. It was kind of their thing, mocking and teasing each other and the most interesting thing to do was making the other one flustered in an innocent way.

Jaemin Na was probably her closest friend in Hogwarts and well...outside Hogwarts as well although Adalene would never say that out loud. They both are too proud, arrogant even, to admit that they honestly actually care about each other. They met in their first year when aunt May introduced the little girl to Jaemin who was standing at the platform with his parents, the two families of York and Na being well known in the wizarding world. From that moment, Jaemin and Adalene decided to stick together.

"Can't believe you got chosen to be a prefect." Jaemin jokes as he follows Adalene to the carriage making her turn her head back and roll eyes on him.
"Oh come on, it was obvious. My grades and participation? Seriously."
"Not as good as mine though." The male behind her couldn't help himself but to remark. Adalene chuckles as she is used to him always competing with her at school and opens the door leading to one of the Slytherin's carriages turning everyone's attention to the newly arriving duo.
"Oh lord, finally!" Loud annoyed voice followed by a thud as someone's legs dropped on the hard floor making both of the prefects look at the source.
"Haechan!" Adalene smiles brightly and proceeds from the spot she was standing at to walk forward and give the Slytherin student a big hug. Donghyuck hugs the female back grinning.
"What's up, sunflower?" Jaemin smiles and does a handshake with his friend as soon as he lets go of Adalene. Other students in the carriage observe the trie before returning to their conversations.
"Man, this summer was so boring." Donghyuck mumbles as he slides down the leather coated seat. Jaemin takes the seat next to the tanned male and Adalene sits opposit of Jaemin.
"I thought you spent summer at your grandparents'." The blonde girl crosses her legs making her seating comfortable while focusing on the two friends sitting in front of her. The train finally starts moving slowly with a pitched whistling.
"Yeah! And that's why, duh." The brunette rolls his eyes and leans chin on his hand as he looks out of the window. Jaemin chuckles and meets Adalene's eyes shrugging upon his friend's answer.

Donghyuck, or Haechan as Jaemin started calling the boy sometime soon after they became close to him, was Adalene's second best friend in Hogwarts, always lighting up her mood. He is kind of a troublemaker and loves to tease people around him without any boundaries, especially one Gryffindor student in particular. As they grew older he stopped being so oblivious to people's feelings but he still could be very mean, a proud Slytherin indeed. Not to Adalene though.

The ride was calm and Slytherin students in their carriage stopped by one by one to greet the new prefects. Every time a girl stopped by she would usually keep her gaze on Jaemin as he could be very charming sometimes. Or rather all the time. But once they notice Adalene sitting opposite of him their captivation with the blond disappeared in a wink. Everyone at school knew the two were a couple. Not officially, but everyone says so. The Slytherin prince and princess. Everyone says so but the said duo rather distanced themselves from these kinds of rumours. Adalene had some history with Jaemin but she was really young and later on she found out that despite of all the teasing she couldn't imagine her and him being an actual couple. Probably.

"Ada. We should go." Jaemin's words makes the female lost in thoughts shift her attention back to him. She nods and gets up fixing her uniform and her prefect badge.
"I'm gonna take a nap, wake me up later." Donghyuck mumbles without giving them second look and closes his eyes leaning head on the window. Ada, short for Adalene, smiles a little and goes through her fluffy blond hair following Jaemin out of their carriage and through the train. Looking at his broad shoulders and messy blond hair gives her courage before nervosity could take over.
Who are the new prefects anyway? She wonders in her head although she could picture faces of strong candidates for the position from other houses this year with her and Jaemin. She did not like the thought of one face in particular though.

"Ready, York?" Jaemin looks back at her with a playful smirk making her smirk back at him.
"The royalty is coming." She responds jokingly reffering to the nicknames other students at school gave to them which now was more like an inside joke for the duo. Jaemin snorts and rolls eyes before sliding the wooden door entering the carriage for prefects. Adalene follows him biting her lower lip not knowing or maybe knowing who to expect.
Mark Lee. Of course. The said Gryffindor is sitting in the front of the carriage looking around for this year's new prefects. He is one year older than Adalene therefore it's his second year to be a prefect. His dark hair are ruffled around his head with round glasses sitting on his nose. Despite his nerdy appearence he is annoyingly handsome and on top of that the male is good at everything. He could probably be the next Head Boy if he wouldn't be so lazy to study. On the other hand, he is also Gryffindor quidditch team captain. Of course he is.

Trying not to show any emotions the girl wanders her eyes around the carriage while everyone turns their attention to the last incomers. Jaemin greets everyone calmly with his signature grin and proceeds to sit down on an empty couch pulling Adalene's robe to him to make the girl sit. He notices her to stiffen on the spot suddenly and looks up to her face following her blank stare to the opposite side of the carriage at a raven haired male in the uniform with blue badge, sun making his skin look pale in the contrast to his black hair which are curling and falling to his eyes. He returns the blank stare leaning his back against the train window facing the people in carriage.

Huang Renjun.