Chapter n°10

Adalene's eyes grow bigger letting her hands drop by her sides.
"What? Any new fighting between you two?" Jaemin lifts an eyebrow measuring the girl with his eyes. Just at that moment a group of Slytherin girls walk into the common room. Adalene quickly shakes her head returning to her work.
"Hi Jaemin." One of the girl greets the male prefect accompanied by other girls' giggling. The blond male replies casually probably not giving them a second thought. He was certainly used to girls being all nervous and just girly in his presence. Adalene lifts her wand and continues putting the decorations on the wall trying not to think about the image of Renjun spending whole Christmas holidays here with her. Not like it makes any difference, the castle is huge and he has managed to avoid her succesfully until now. But they both needed time to heal.
Another sweet chuckle breaks her train of thoughts which leads to a failed attempt of the levitation spell.
"Jaemin, can you help me out here?" Adalene flashes her eyes at the male who stands surrounded by three Slytherin female students making eyes on him. He excuses himself and walks over to Adalene.
"What?" Jaemin looks around a little confused. The blond girl clears throat.
"Nothing. They were just annoying." She admits with a mutter and swishes her wand gracefully. Jaemin catching up smirks and runs hand through his blond hair.
"Aw jealous much, York?" The male leans to Adalene playfully. They both kind of enjoyed this whole flirting game from time to time which is something that neither of them has ever said out loud.
"Pft. As if. You remember, I have my eyes on Lee Jeno." Adalene smirks back at him and grins when she sees for a second a surprised look on his face. Jaemin rolls his eyes and leans away from her.

-//-//-//-

"See you later, York. And Merry Christmas." Jaemin smiles a bit at her and leans over to give her a hug. Adalene returns the hug and waves at him before he turns around grabbing his luggage and heading outside. Jeno, Chenle and Jisung wave at her as well smiling before they follow Jaemin outside with their suitcases. A cold air blows on the girl when the main gate opens and closes after students leaving the castle to the train station.

It's the Christmas eve today. The majority of students went home to their families, only few of them staying in Hogwarts. Adalene heads to the Great Hall for lunch. The corridors feel quiet and empty. Entering the Great Hall first thing to see is a huge Christmas tree which older prefects have decorated. Some ghosts pass by greeting Adalene. The girl smiles and heads to the Slytherin table which is now completely empty. There are some students from other houses but not many, mostly sitting in one group at a table. Adalene sits down with her back facing the hall. She has no intention of watching students having a good time together while she is left alone here. Golden plates appear in front of her filled with main and side dishes. Adalene takes few bites slowly listening to the soft background noise of students chatting and a trio of ghosts flying around singing Christmas carols. Her eyes fix on the fireplace which is build into the wall close to the Slytherin table. The flames dance gently giving off warmness and soft orange light.

Someone slides down at the pew just next to her. Adalene could say right away who the person was by their scent.
"I think we should talk." Renjun's low-pitched voice sounds close to her right ear. Adalene doesn't look at the Ravenclaw sitting next to her with his back leaning against the edge of the table.
"I have nothing to say to you actually." The girl replies with a low voice and puts a carrot into her mouth chewing on it slowly. Renjun stays silent for few seconds.
"Fine. I need to talk to you." He emphasizes the 'I' with a small urgency. Adalene finally turns her head a little to the side to meet his dark eyes. The two stare into each other's eyes until Renjun looks away. The blonde sighs a little. She doesn't really want to talk to him because she could already tell what's on his mind.
He is probably going to apologize and then we will act like this whole thing never actually happened. Which would normally be great but she doesn't want him to act like a stranger or that there is nothing at all between them. So far it was a relationship of two enemies. But still, it was a relationship.
"Alright. Now?" She lifts her carrot with a raised eyebrow trying to seem as casual as possible. Renjun glances at the piece of vegetable.
"Afternoon. The common room on the 5th floor." With those words he gets up not waiting for Adalene's answer and heads to his table again. The girl follows him with her eyes. He is wearing a black hoodie with dark brown pants. Renjun sits down his back facing her opposite to his house mates. A boy and a girl. They both sit facing Adalene and both of them take a look at her when Renjun sits down. Before Adalene turns her head around she makes sure to send a face at them.

"C'mere Crooktail." Adalene mumbles softly reaching arm to the brown cat. She is sitting alone in the Slytherin common room. Crooktail has been her only company since the lunch. The cat jumps on the couch where Adalene sits and climbs onto her lap. The girl pets Crooktail gently with a soft smile.
"Cutie." She whispers when the cats starts purring under her touch. The lake water behind the windows send all different shades of green stripes on the common room cold floor.
"It's lonely right. And dark." Adalene whispers looking around the room with black walls covered in silver and green decorating.
"I think it's time to go." The blonde takes Crooktail in her arms and leaves the Slytherin common room. She wears a long warm knitted skirt with a long sleeved tshirt, the upper part of hair combed up in a messy bun while the rest falls on her back in uneven curls. As she walks from the Dungeon heading up to the castle she passes by a group of Gryffindors running outside to enjoy the snow merrymaking.

Adalene enters the common room on the 5th floor which is designed for all students to spend time together or study. There is one big fireplace, some tables and few bookshelves. There are also couches and comfortable chairs with carpets on the floor creating a cozy atmosphere. Another Christmas tree stands by a tall window which is letting a dim daylight into the room. It's snowing outside. Renjun sits on a seat by the window holding a book in his hand. When Adalene walks in he lifts head and gets up. The girl still holds Crooktail in her arms but when the cat sees Renjun it jumps down and runs towards the Ravenclaw. Feeling a little betrayed Adalene closes the door and walks across the room. Renjun smiles a bit at the cat liftinh it with his arms and taking a seat in one of the chairs close to the fireplace. Adalene sits on a couch close to his chair and brings her legs up on the piece of furniture. Meanwhile Crooktail curls up on Renjun's lap.
"So?" Adalene brings up setting her eyes on the ravenette. His a bit wavy hair fall into his eyes because of the length. Renjun watches the cat and starts caressing its brown fur gently and gracefully.

"I'm sorry." The male finally breaks the silence. Adalene's throat tightens but she tries to remain with a blank expression.
"You could have said that back there. No need to call me here." She finally responds with a low-pitched voice looking into the fire. Crooktail starts to purr softly under Renjun's touch.
"I felt like I need to explain myself." He adds after a while obviously still finding words. His dark blue eyes finally focus on the blonde sitting on the couch with her face lit up by the flames.
"There is nothing to explain. I think I got a clear idea of the situation." Adalene mutters bringing her legs to her chest and leaning chin on knees.
"Just be quiet and listen, will you?" Renjun frowns a bit at the female's attitude.
"Dear Merlin, you are annoying even now." He adds with a serious tone but then a smirk forms on his lips. Adalene turns her face at him with parted lips.
"I thought this is an apology!" She furrows her eyebrows. Renjun chuckles a bit and looks down at the cat. His expression slowly turns into a gloomy one.

"I know you figured that much already but I wanted to tell you myself. When I first heard your name being called out during the sorting ceremony I...I thought you are the daughter of...her. Turned out you really were a part of the family so I naturally hated you. I wanted to make you feel miserable like that woman did to me. I was watching you being friends with Jaemin and the others and there were times I thought that you can't be bad. But still...Every time I looked at you I saw that woman and my parents and the hatred and despair just took over." Renjun talks with low voice as if he was worried someone might hear him. Adalene watches him but then she turns her gaze into the flames again. Biting on her lower lip she fights back tears. A silence fills the room again. She was expecting a load off her mind but she feels even worse now. She should have approached him earlier about him being so hostile towards her.
"I swear...I had no idea she was a killer. Whatsmore the killer of your parents. I thought she was only a mere follower of You-know-who. If only I knew..." Adalene mutters trying not to sound too shaken.
"I was so wrong for venting my anger on you. Even if there was a connection it wouldn't be your fault." Renjun continues not looking at her.
"I would have done the same thing if I were you." Adalene admits quietly making Renjun lift his head to fix eyes on her. She returns his look with glassy brown eyes.
"I'm not forgiving you though. You hurt me over these years. I still hate you for that."