Chapter 22

Renjun closes his dark eyes and listens to the silence filling up the huge bathroom. Adalene reads the letter he handed to her. His mind keeps repeating the words his cousin wrote to him.
Nana passed away, Renjun...
Tears gather in his eyes again. Renjun clenches teeth to stop his jaw from shaking. His heart clutches as he thinks about his grandma. She was the only family he had beside his cousin. She raised him, cherished him like a mother would.
First tears roll down his cheeks.
"Renjun..." Adalene whispers but he can't look at her. More tears gush out and he lets out a loud sob.
A pair of warm arms suddenly wraps around his neck and pulls him down so his head is now hidden in Adalene's arms and resting on her chest. Without any words the girl strokes his raven hair slowly. Renjun sobs again with tears falling down wetting Adalene's robe and sweater.

He feels despair and sadness creeping deep into his core. As he sobs his breathing becomes uneven. Renjun grabs Adalene's robe as he gasps for air between his broken sobs. More tears fall down as the male struggles to take a proper swallow of oxygen into his lungs. He can't help but to shake a little.
"It's okay Renjun, I'm here. Take a deep breath." Adalene's voice is like a calming music to his ears. She whispers with her face close to his head and with her arms still wrapped protectively around him. Her palms travel soothingly across his shoulders and back, her fingers caressing his raven locks.

Renjun takes a deep yet shaky breath. He leans his body into Adalene for a comfort while closing his eyes shut. The girl cuddles him gently still playing with his hair.
"I know it hurts...but that's how life is. You are so strong Renjun, you will be okay. You are not alone." Adalene whispers softly. Renjun takes another deep breath unable to speak. He smells Adalene's omnipresent scent which calms him down slowly. He grabs her robe and tugs on it gently trying to hold onto her as if she was the only thing to keep him from falling apart.

-//-//-//-

Adalene finds her own eyes filling up with tears. It breaks her heart to see Renjun hurting so much. It also scares her a little. He looks so vulnerable in her arms that she just wants to hold him forever to keep him from any more harm. She closes her own eyes and leans closer to the male to press a kiss into his hair.

"I'm here. It's okay." Adalene whispers into Renjun's hair and strokes his back slowly. She can still hear his quiet sobs but it seems that his breathing became steady again. The girl leans her forehead against Renjun's head. What would she do if he got a severe attack? It scares her to imagine she would not be able to calm him down.

Renjun's head moves slowly to lean on her shoulder. He finally stopped crying, now probably too tired to cry more. Adalene still holds the male to her and holds the hem of her robe to dry the tears remaining on his face. He now sits leaning his body on her too exhausted to move or even talk.
Renjun, I wish I could do something more...

After a few minutes of silence Adalene hears Renjun's regular soft breathing. It seems like he fell asleep on her shoulder. The girl leans her cheek on top of Renjun's raven hair and closes her own eyes listening to his breaths. The bathroom is quiet and dark, only source of light is the moonlight shining brightly through the tall windows. The mermaid on the stained glass watches the pair sleeping with a gentle smile on her beautiful face. Adalene cuddles to Renjun still holding him gently to her. Her legs feel cold as she wears only a skirt and socks reaching under her knees so she tugs her legs under her black robe to keep herself warm. She can smell her favorite scent of cinnamon and forest which is lingering around her like a mist lulling her to sleep.

-//-//-//-

A sharp pain in her neck wakes Adalene up. She blinks and straightens her head with a low groan. She must have fallen asleep for quite a time. Her whole body feels sore from sleeping on the floor with her head leaning on side uncomfortably.
She looks around. They are still in the bathroom and it's still dark outside but it must be only few hours till the morning. Adalene looks to the side to see Renjun still peacefully sleeping on her shoulder. He must have been exhausted. She reaches her hand to brush the tips of her fingers against his cheek and chin.
"Renjun..." Adalene whispers softly. He doesn't move. The girl leans lower and presses her lips on his forehead. His raven hair is messy and spread around his perfect face.
"Renjun, wake up. Come on." Adalene whispers again this time with a little urge. Finally the male stirs and after a low groan he opens his eyes.
"We fell asleep in the bathroom. Let's get you to bed." The blonde moves a little to kneel in front of Renjun and grabs his hands gently. They are a little cold. The male only nods sleepily still probably not understanding what is going on. Adalene gets up slowly and pulls him up to her to grab him around his slim waist. Renjun leans his body weight on the girl and walks with her out of the bathroom still half asleep.