Chapter 10 (part 1)

Chapter 10

  Before I could barely speak, Kieran had grabbed my hand and hauled me off the bed, pulling me along.  Jamie shouted to our mom that we were all going out, and would be back later, and then we all left, taking Jamie’s car.  Kieran and I sat in the back; he had is arm around me and was rubbing his thumb on my shoulder.  I kept catching Jamie’s sullen expression in the rear view mirror though, and I felt slightly awkward.

  “Why would she do this?” Kieran asked no one in particular, breaking the silence.  “I’ve never known her to be heartless.”

  “Yah, well, people do weird things in the presence of love,” Jamie replied flatly.

  “I don’t think she loves me…” Kieran mumbled.  I huffed.

  “Has either of you even figured out how we’re going to stop her?”  I asked, beginning to feel anxious.  “In fact, why didn’t you stop her, Jamie?  This could ruin your rep as well, once it gets out that I’m your sister.”

  “I told you I tried!  I said, ‘don’t do this, it wouldn’t be very nice’, and Jenna said, ‘screw off Jamie, who asked you’, and then she ran out the door.  What did you want me to do, tie her up and put her in the closet?”

  “That would have been lovely!” I said, putting on a fake cheery tone.  “Where are we going anyways?”

  “To the closest news station,” Jamie replied.  “I figure that’s where she’ll go.”

  “And of course the paparazzi will eat it up, and add their own cruel spin to it,” Kieran muttered.  “I’m so sorry for this Naia.  We’ll find a way to stop it, or at least fix it.”

  Silence seemed the best response to that.  We drove for a little while longer, and soon, Jamie pulled into a bustling parking lot, a (news station?) on the outskirts of our neighbourhood.  Keiran thought it would be best for the two boys to put hoods up and wear sunglasses, while we looked around for Jenna. We split up, searching for her car.

  A few moments later, Jamie called for us.  Kieran and I came running up to where he stood in front of Jenna’s red convertible, holding up a note.

  “She left this for you Kieran,” Jamie said, frowning and passing Kieran the note.  I watched his face pale and then fall as he read through it.  Then he crumpled it up and put it in his pocket.

  “What did it say?” I asked, dreading the answer.

  “Well, the good news is she hasn’t told the anyone anything yet.  The bad news is she wants to talk to me alone.”

  “Alone?”  I didn’t like where this was going.

  “Yes.”

  “Well are you gunna?” Jamie asked.  I could hear the suspicion in his voice.  His arms were crossed tightly, fists clenched.

  Kieran pursed his lips, looking concerned.  “I have to.”  He looked at me and smiled reassuringly.  “Maybe I can talk her out if this.”

  “I hope that it’s just talk,” I mumbled, avoiding meeting his eyes.  He cupped my chin in his hand and forced me to look at him.

  “It’s going to be fine,” he murmured, leaning down and kissing my forehead.  I heard Jamie make gagging noises, which quite frankly, ruined the moment.

  And so, Kieran walked off, following the directions on the note Jenna left him to where she was, leaving me and Jamie to wait.  I really just hoped she didn’t try to steal him from me.  She was famous, he was famous.  Perfect match…

  Jamie and I decided to go for fast food while we waited; there was nothing better to do…  We went to a Wendy’s, (with his hood still up) where Jamie ordered not one, but three chicken burgers, with two meals, as I wasn’t really hungry, and just wanted to pick at the fries.  I was too nervous to be hungry.  Kieran didn’t have to go meet her alone, he could have brought me, or at least Jamie. Jamie would have told me the truth about what happened there, where as I couldn’t trust Kieran and especially not Jenna.

  “Don’t be too concerned,” Jamie said, with his mouth full, breaking me out of my thoughts.  “Kieran’s a good guy.  And he knows if he hurts you, I’ll hurt him.”

  I smiled sadly at Jamie.  “Thanks, bro.” 

  “Do you really… Like him?” Jamie asked, awkwardly.

  This time I smiled out of embarrassment, and nodded.

  “I guess I’m just going to have to get used to my best friend and my sister, together.” Jamie made gagging noises again, and I had to laugh this time.  I tossed a fry at him and he threw a tomato from one of his burgers at me, which landed right smack in the middle of my forehead.

  “Eww, Jamie!” I exclaimed, peeling it off.  At that point, Jamie’s phone went off.  He looked at it, frowned, and then sighed, replying back.

  “Kieran’s finished talking to Jenna, and I just texted him back where we are.”

  Several minutes later, Kieran entered the restaurant, and walked casually up to us, hands in pockets.  I noticed how he skilfully wouldn’t meet my eyes and was instantly worried.

  “So, how did it go?” I asked, trying to keep the concern out of my voice.

  “Very well actually,” Kieran replied, using an almost formal tone.  “She’s not going to say anything to the reporters, as long as I tell you the truth.”

  “The truth?” This time I couldn’t hide my worry.

  Then he looked right at me, and I knew exactly what he was going to say.  Kieran glanced at Jamie for some reason before speaking.

  “It was all a joke,” he said.  I was immediately confused.

  “What was?”

  “You and I.  I wanted to see how fast I could get you to be my girlfriend.  You played into my hands very marvellously.”

  “Wha… What?” I asked, starting to feel very cold.  I thought I saw a spark of sympathy in Kieran’s eyes but it was gone in an instance.

  “Yes, exactly what she said,” Jamie cut in, looking extremely angry.  “What?”

  “Sorry James, that it was your sister, but come on, who could resist?”  Kieran smirked.  I didn’t want to speak again, for fear I might start crying, but I had to.

  “You can’t be serious, Jenna put you up to this didn’t she?”

  “Nope, this was completely my idea.  I needed some fun.”

  “But…” I couldn’t think of anything else to say.  Instead I turned to Jamie and asked in a small voice, “can we go now please?”

  Jamie nodded, stood up, and in the middle of the restaurant, punched Kieran in the jaw, with a lot of force.  He pulled back, shaking his possibly fractured hand out.

  “If I could kick you off my movie I would…” He muttered vehemently.  Then he grabbed my arm, and pulled me, shocked, out of the restaurant, leaving Kieran behind cradling his cheek.

-----

Just so that you guys didnt have to wait too long, I'm splitting this chappy into two parts.  One I'm uploading today, one later tonight.  Also, I know its not as news station, so wth is it called???

So here you are, comment and vote, and wait for tonight ;)  <3