Chapter 21

Chapter 21

  A few days later, Luka and I sat on his couch watching T.V.  He was leaning against the couch armrest and I was curled up beside him with my head and arms on his chest.  A light tickling sensation ran down my arm as he gently stroked it back and forth with his fingers.  I was comfortable, so very comfortable.  We were having a lazy day today, as we’d been quite active for the last few days.  We’d gone to the movies, for dinner, hung out with Jake, and then after that Kira.  It had been fun, and I felt free when I was around Luka, like I didn’t have to worry about what I said or did, because he wouldn’t care.

  I was really starting to think I’d made the right choice.

  I hadn’t heard from Sam since the party however.  I’d texted him a couple times with no reply, and even tried calling once.  It seemed he was ignoring me, but I wasn’t sure why.  How would he have found out about me and Luka?  In a way, I didn’t really want to talk to Sam, because I still did have an attraction towards him, and I really didn’t want to complicate things with Luka.  Bringing Sam back into the picture might do just that. 

  I’d talked to Kieran once, and told him, sheepishly, how I was now dating Luka.  He had been over at my house with Jamie.  Kieran just smiled and patted my shoulder when I told him, like he didn’t care at all, and then walked away.  It was not at all what I expected his reaction to be, or what I’d hoped for.  Is it bad that I wished for him to be jealous and try to talk me out of it?  Would I have listened if he had?

  “Hey, what’re you thinking about?”  Luka asked, nudging me out of my reverie with his hand.  I shook my head and gave him my best smile.

  “Nothing important.”  I reached up and gave him a quick kiss.

  “You had your ‘I’m thinking hard’ face on,” Luka chuckled, trying to imitate my expression.  I gave him a sour look, smacked him and gave a quick laugh.

  “You’re way too silly,”  I told him, snuggling closer.

  “Isn’t that my best quality though?” 

  “Maybe your only one,” I said with the most serious face I could manage.  It only lasted a few seconds, because I couldn’t keep teasing him when he gave me puppy dog eyes.  When I grinned, he smiled back and leaned down, kissing me gingerly. 

  “You know, you are the prettiest girl I’ve ever seen,” he said softly.

  “The prettiest?  You really think so?”  I asked jokingly.

  “I’m being serious.  Naia, you’re beautiful.” 

  I looked him in the eye.  He was just so sweet, so caring.  I doubt he even realized just how nice he was.  Smiling, I reached up to kiss him, but right at that moment, my cell rang.  I sighed and reluctantly answered it. 

  “Hello?”  I asked, giving Luka my sorry-I-always-have-to-answer-my-phone-when-it-rings look. 

  “Hey, Naia, it’s Sam.  Don’t you have caller I.D.?” 

  “You got that from a simple hello?”

  “That hello had a question mark.  Anyways, I know, I haven’t called since that stupid party, I just got caught up with…  Things.  Can we meet somewhere, talk?”

  I glanced at Luka, who had leaned his head against the couch and had his eyes closed.

  “I don’t know if now would be a good time,” I replied. 

  “Well I didn’t mean right now,”  Sam said haughtily.  “But sometime in the next week would be, you know, nice?” 

  “I mean now as in this current time period,”  I said, my voice getting quieter and more meek as I said each word.  “I’m kind of…  GoingoutwithLukanow…”  I rushed the last line out in one breath.