Chapter 22

Chapter 22

  I was still sitting on my doorstep when Kieran arrived.  My elbows were resting on my knees and my chin was in my hand.  Most likely I looked quite solemn, and at the very least sad.  He raised an eyebrow at me and sat down beside me.

  “What are you doing here?”  I asked, mumbling.  It came out ruder then I intended.

  “I could ask you the same thing.” When I glared at him, he answered my question.  “Fine, fine.  Your brother wants to run some lines so I thought I’d come here.  Unless you don’t want me here?”

  “No, I don’t care,” I replied, pursing my lips.

  “Good, because I’d stay even if you told me to go,” he said.  I watched out of the corner of my eye as he cautiously put an arm around my shoulder and squeezed it.  “You look upset, everything okay with you and Luka?”

  “I think so.  I don’t know.  I doubt you want to hear about what happened.”

  “Of course I do, I’m your friend, remember?” Kieran reminded me.

  “Sam kissed me, so I told Luka, and now Luka and Jake are going to find Sam,” I rushed out, burying my face in my knees.  “It was right to tell him, but I don’t want Sam to get hurt.  He’s not that bad of a guy.”

  After a few moments of silence from Kieran, I glanced up at him.  His jaw was clenched tight, and he’d removed his arm from around my shoulder.  Simply put, he looked angry.  But as soon as he noticed me looking, his expression softened, and he gave me a reassuring smile.

  “I’m sure they will talk it through,” he said tightly.  “Luka and Jake are mature, responsible adults.”

  At that I laughed out loud, a quick bark, but it did make Kieran relax a little.

  “Sam is doomed,” I stated, leaning my head against Kieran’s shoulder without realizing what I was doing.  It just felt so natural, my head fit perfectly.

  “Well, he deserves it, and he doesn’t deserve you,” Kieran replied softly. 

  “Oh?  And who does deserve me, Kieran?” I asked, looking up at him and directly into his eyes.  It was a complete mistake.  As usual, I was lost in them, all thoughts scattered and words would no longer come to my lips.  This boy, this man in front of me was so handsome, so beautiful, and so perfect.

  In seemingly slow motion, Kieran leaned towards me, his eyes never breaking contact with mine, a look of what looked like wonder on his face, as if he were feeling the same things as me.  I hoped he was feeling the same things as me.

  Right before our lips touched however, the door flew open, and we jerked our heads away from each other.

  “Uh, Kieran, I thought you came for me,” Jamie said with a hint of amusement.  “Come on then, I’m sure Nai has other things to do, with her new boyfriend and all that.”

  Oh right, Luka.  Why did I always forget about Luka around Kieran?  Why did Kieran have to be so unattainable?  It was the fame, the thing I hated, or at least tried to hate.  I had to keep telling myself he was too famous to ever want to be with a normal person like me.  It wasn’t because he wanted to be my friend at all.  It was because he didn’t want people to think he’d settle for me when he could have much prettier girls at his side.

  “Yes, he’s right,” I agreed, feeling hurt again.  Kieran seemed to sense the shift in me, because his eyebrows drew together in concern.

  “I think Naia might need me for a few more minutes, you can wait can’t you Jam-”