Chapter 18

OKAY I'M SORRY THIS TOOK FOREVER.  But between being sick, wisdom teeth out, horse injured and getting a puppy, I havent had the time or the energy!  I'm going to try harder to write more, but It's really hard to find the time now.  I am truly sorry, but I hope you like this chapter, and I'll try my hardest to make my next update in the next week. :)

Thanks to everyone who kept my story!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 18

  I stood on my doorstep for a few more moments before sighing and going inside.  I heard them all chatting quietly in the living room, but as soon as I walked in, the voices went completely silent.  As they should have.  I glared at every single person in the room and sat back on the couch, scooting as far away from Kieran as I could get.
  “Naia, I’m sorry, I couldn’t help myself…”  Kira muttered, head down.  “The opportunity was there, and I took it.”
  “I understand,” I replied, looking pointedly at Kieran.  He frowned and looked away. 
  Then Jamie spoke up, probably in an attempt to break the tension, “Does this mean the game is over now?  Can I get this peanut butter out of my ear?”
  Everyone was silent for a couple seconds, but then one of us broke, probably Luka or Jake, and we were all bursting out laughing, all tension gone, although in the back of my mind I still felt slightly bad for Sam.  And a slight need for him. 
  “So, what are we going to do next?” Kira asked.  “Since clearly that game is over.”
  “Honestly guys, I’m exhausted,” I replied yawning and stretching my arms up high.  “You guys can stay up but I’m going to sleep.”
   I watched Jake and Luka make eye contact, and suddenly Luka was yawning too.  Which of course set Kieran off yawning as well.
  Luka spoke first.  “Yes, I’m tired too.  Where are we all sleeping tonight?”
  “I’d like to know the answer to that too,” Kieran said, eyeing me. 
  I couldn’t help but throw up my hands in exasperation.  What was with all of the boys around lately?  One day I have no boyfriend and no chance of getting one, the next there’s three of them fighting for me.  Being flattered would have been the proper feeling, but instead, probably because of the ordeal I had just been through, I just felt stressed. 
  “Are you alright Nai?”  Kira asked, raising an eyebrow.
  “Yes, I’m fine,” I replied, avoiding meeting Luka or Kieran’s eyes.  “I’m just going to go to bed, in my bedroom, alone.  You can all sleep where you… Drop I suppose.”
  “No, I really don’t think you should be alone tonight,”  Kieran cut in as I turned to leave.  “We’re all very worried about you.”  He came up close to me and spoke quietly into my ear, “And I know you’re trying to look brave and strong, but anyone would be terrified of being alone after what you went though.”
  My face paled of all color, and I had to cough to regain myself.  Well, try and regain myself.
  “I’m fine,” I said weakly. 
  “I hate to agree with my brother, but he’s right,” Kira said, coming up to us.  “Although, the person with you should not be him.”
  “Definitely agreed,”  Jamie nodded.  “Too gross, and inappropriate.”
  “But she does need someone to cuddle her!”  Jake announced, raising Luka’s arm.  “I vote Luka, he’s great at cuddling!”
  I shook my head and groaned.  “I’m never going to get to sleep, am I…”
  “No, probably not,” Kira laughed.  “But you have been asleep for six days, I don’t see why you’re in such a rush!”
  I smiled and gave her a hug.  “Because I wasn’t really sleeping you know.”
  “Either way, who’s sleeping with Naia?”  Jake asked.  He seemed very unconcerned about how inappropriate that question was. 
  “No one is sleeping with me,” I said quickly.  “They can sleep in my room, on the floor.  Thank you very much.”
  “DIBS!” Luka shouted before I’d even finished my sentence.  Kieran opened his mouth, probably to protest, but a glare from me made him click it shut.  I did not want him sleeping in my room for sure.  I was mad at him, and he might try to do something and then I’d probably melt…  Ugh, boys.  At least Luka seemed somewhat shy.  There was less likely to be an incident with him.  The kiss was just a dare, right?
  “Okay, fine, Luka let’s go.”  I agreed reluctantly, hobbling away before anyone else could stop me.
  “But Naia!”  Kira shouted behind me.  “I would have!”  I’m sure she mumbled something else after that I couldn’t hear. 
  I could feel Luka walking closely behind me.  The whole kidnapping and getting beaten thing was really starting to get on my nerves.  Everyone was being way too protective of me, and I could barely even conceive what had happened.  What had happened?  I hadn’t really tried to think about it since I’d woken up, but now that I was, now that I was going to sleep, my mind was beginning to think, and I didn’t like where my thoughts were going. 
  Suddenly I was very grateful for Luka…
  When we reached my room, I was started to feel anxious; my palms were sweating, my legs felt like jelly and my head felt like it was stuffed with cotton balls or something.  I slowly opened the door, happy when I saw that everything was how I left it (I wasn’t a messy person, but I was exactly the neatest person ever).  I slyly picked up some underwear laying on the floor, but when I looked back, Luka was holding back a chuckle. 
  “This is my room, and usually people don’t come in here,”  I mumbled, trying to defend my pride.  I grabbed an extra blanket out of the closet and a pillow off my bed and threw it at him.  He just barely managed to catch it, grunting.  “You get to sleep on the floor!  Congratulations.”  I smiled sarcastically.
  “I’m happy as long as I’m the one looking after you,” Luka replied, grinning.  “All those other people out there would’ve sucked at it.  And like Jake said, I’m great at cuddling.”
  “I’ll… Keep that in mind…” I said, looking away.  “I’m kicking you out though.”
  “Wha… What?”  Luka stammered.  I’d actually caught him off guard.
  “Stupid, I have to get changed, out.”
  “Oh…  Oh!  Okay, okay, I’m out.”
  Not too long after, Luka was settled on the floor (well, as settled as he could be, anyways) and I was laying in my bed, trying to get comfortable.  Everything ached though; my ribs, my ankle, my head, all of the bruises on my body.  I moved around a lot, probably annoying Luka.  After about a half hour of restlessness, Luka finally spoke up.
  “Are you alright up there Naia?”
  “I’m just dandy,”  I replied, beginning to feel very grumpy.
  “Uhm…  Cuddles?”  I could feel the hopefulness in his voice.
  “No, thanks, I’m fine, just uncomfortable.” 
  He went silent again, and I went back to my tossing and turning.  Finally, not long after that, I drifted off into a light sleep.  But it wasn’t a good sleep.  My dreams were the most terrifying nightmares I’d ever had, about dying, falling off cliffs, being chased by scary men with knives.  Suddenly, I was woken up by a hard pressure on my arms, holding them to the bed, which, of course made me panic and begin to thrash before my eyes were even open. 
  Tears flooded down my face as I tried to get away from whatever it was that had me trapped.
  “Naia!”  a familiar voice whispered loudly.  I froze and quieted down, suddenly remembering where I was, and who was in my room with me.  When I opened my eyes, Luka was above me, eyes wide with concern.  For once, he looked serious.  It was a strange look on him.  But he looked so…  Cute.  Beautiful.  Honest. 
  “What are you doing?”  I asked, forgetting that I had just been thrashing around.
  Luka gave an exasperated sigh and collapsed on me.
  “You looked like a fish out of water you were thrashing so much,”  Luka said, getting off of me and sitting on the floor at the beside my bed.  I wiped the tears off my cheeks. 
  “I was having nightmares,”  I murmured, suddenly embarrassed.  “I’m sorry they woke you up.”
  “This is why I’m in here,”  Luka told me softly.  “Exactly for this reason.  You probably would have injured yourself more had I not been here to stop you.”
  I groaned; his words brought back the soreness, suddenly enhanced.  I must have really been twisting myself…
  “I thought I was fine,”  I suddenly said, whispering.  “I thought, maybe I’d get out of this whole situation unscathed…  Emotionally anyways.  But look at me!  I’m scared to go back to bed, I’m more afraid then ever, and I’m going to burst into tears any minute now.”  I covered my face with my hands and, true to my words, the tears began to flow.  Luka jumped up and sat on the bed beside me, putting an arm around my shoulders.  I leaned into him, wrapping my arms tightly around his neck and just cried.  I’d had my fun, and now I knew I had to cry. 
  I’m not sure how long we sat there like that, but eventually I pulled away, wiping away the extra tears falling free.
  “Thank you,”  I mumbled.  He just nodded.
  “For the record,”  he said after a minute.  “I think you are one of the strongest people I’ve ever met.  You only just came back from your ordeal, and you are already laughing and talking with friends.  Don’t worry if you’re afraid.  Your pain will heal with time.”
  I stared into his strange eyes for a moment, and I don’t know what my reasoning was, but I decided to take a chance.  I shot forward, wrapping my arms around Luka’s neck, and kissed him as best as I thought I could.  For a moment, Luka seemed shocked, but it didn’t take long for him to relax and go along with it.  He rubbed his arms up my back and through my hair. 
  Then he placed his hand on the small of my back and laid me down while pulling me under him and entwining his fingers into mine.  I noticed he was being very careful and gentle, and my body was quite grateful for that.
  We made out like that for a bit, before Luka suddenly pulled away and looked me in the eyes.  He had a content, yet slightly concerned expression on his face.
  “You don’t really want to do this.”  He remarked, grabbing my chin.  “I can tell.  You’re hesitating where you shouldn’t be.  And you’ve been through so much.  This isn’t right.”
  He pushed himself up into a sitting position, and I joined him.
  “I felt like I should,”  I explained, trying to find words to describe the feeling that had come over me.  “It just seemed like a good moment.  I’m sorry.”  I looked away.
  “Nah, don’t apologize.  Trust me, I want to continue.  But at this moment, it doesn’t seem right.  But,” he grabbed my hands and made me look at him, “I want you to know I do like you, even if we haven’t really know each other for long.  I liked you from the moment I met you.”
  I hugged Luka.  “Thanks.”  Then I yawned wide and stretched my arms, suddenly very tired again.  Luka smiled and moved over on my bed to the wall so I could lay down before stretching beside me, putting his arm around me and holding my hand. 
  I didn’t have another nightmare that night.