Chapter 13

Chapter 13

  “Oh my!” I exclaimed, yelling over the noise of the crowd.  “I would never have thought to come here!”
  Jake and Luka had their arms linked through both and mine and were towing me along as I stared in awe at the large fairgrounds.  There were so many rides, so many attractions, that I just couldn’t wrap my head around them all.  The twins and Kira had made me close my eyes until we arrived, Luka had even gone far enough as to put a hand over them, just to assure I didn’t peak.  Then, when we finally arrived, and paid, they let me look, and I was truly excited. 
  I’d never been to a fair before. I don’t know why, my mother just never approved of them.  She always said it was a place to easily catch diseases, and be kidnapped.  And so, as much as Jamie and I would whine and cry, she never gave in.  And since, by the time I was old enough to go by myself, I had no friends, I just never ended up going to one.  So this was a big surprise for me.
  An exciting one. 
  “This carnival comes here twice a year, and it’s perfect cause its only ten minutes from where the twins live,” Kira explained.  “It’s our favorite place.  Especially mine, because the twins have a large area to let out there energy.”  I glanced at Jake and Luka, who were grinning mischievously at Kira and I.
  “Let’s go to the Ring of Fire first!” they shouted at the same time.  I laughed as I was dragged forward.  When we got there, Luka and Jake fought over who should sit next to me.  The Ring of Fire was just basically a circular roller coaster, where the car went around and around, upside down, and really fast.  I was slightly terrified.
  “Do we have to go on this one first?” I asked, gulping.  Kira giggled as the twins nodded.  At the last minute, Luka shot past Jake and Kira and jumped into the seat next to me, sticking his tongue out at the losers.  Jake just about jumped into the cart with us, but Kira held him back.
  Well, I assumed the one in the seat next to me was Luka anyways.  They were both wearing sunglasses, jeans and an partly unbuttoned t-shirt, Luka’s white, Jake’s blue.  Even after only knowing them for an hour or so, I was already beginning to see a difference in them.  Luka seemed softer, and Jake seemed more like the leader.  But it was only a slight difference, hardly noticeable.  I was just a good people watcher.
  I almost puked after during the ride.  It was awful, but fun at the same time.  Luka threw somehow found the courage to throw his hands up, and I knew Kira and Jake were doing the same behind me.  I was the only one holding on for dear life.
  When it was finally over, I exited the ride, feeling very wobbly.  Luka supported me, and was joined shortly after by his brother.  Kira just laughed behind us, as the led me to the next thing.  Which was another ride.  Another scary looking ride.  I moaned as they led me to it.

After we’d gone on way too many rides for my liking, I finally had to go throw up.  I ran to the closest garbage can and emptied my stomach, while I heard my three new ‘friends’ giggle in amusement behind me.  One of the twins came up and held my hair for me after a few moments, that I was thankful for, and after my stomach was done heaving, I felt a little better.
  “I guess no more rides then,” Kira announced.  Luka and Jake looked mildly disappointed, but then they high-fived each other and started chuckling, pointing at me.
  “Our plan worked!” Jake said, looking very proud.  “Luka and I wanted to see how long it would take you to puke.  If you were going to.”
  Kira glared at them and shook her head.  “They have no manners.  Well, if you guys are done being jerks, let’s do what Naia wants to do.”  They all looked at me expectantly.
  “Er, I’ve never really been to a fair before,” I admitted.  “But I wouldn’t mind going to see some animals.”
  “Pony rides?” Luka asked, looking very, very mischievous.
  “No!” Kira shouted quickly.  “Not after what you two did last time.”  When I gave her a questioning look, she giggled.  “Last year, they somehow managed to convince the owners of the ponies to let them ride.  As soon as they were on, Luka and Jake practically stole the ponies.  They both fell off before they’d gotten very far, but the ponies ran off and it took a little bit of time to find them again…”
  “We were banned from coming to the next fair,” Luka said, grinning.  “But they never said anything about the one after!”
  “Aren’t you two a little too… Big for pony rides?”  I asked.
  “Big ponies, so that everyone could have a turn,” Jake answered, beginning to walk away.  “Anyways, come on, let’s go, I’m getting bored standing here.”
  So we began to walk aimlessly around the fair grounds, stopping every now and then to play games, or go on a less sickening ride. 
  As we were all walking towards the next thing, I heard someone call my name.  When I turned around, I saw Sam waving at me.  He was wearing a completely unbuttoned black shirt, exposing mouth watering muscles.  In one hand he held a rake. 
  I started to walk towards him, but someone grabbed my arm.  I looked back expecting to see Kira, but it was actually Luka. 
  “I wouldn’t Naia,” he said softly, looking very serious, for the first time since I’d met him.  “You’ll regret it.”  Kira and Jake nodded beside him.
  “I told her that last night,” Kira said.  “You didn’t listen to me then?”
  “He sort of rescued me after you left,” I replied, wondering what exactly Sam could’ve done to earn such care free people’s ire.  He didn’t seem very bad at all.  “I owe him.  I’ll catch up with you guys at the food or something if you don’t want to come with me.”
  All three frowned, but in the end, their dislike for Sam won out, and they walked away, grumbling.
  When I reached Sam, he had a slight smile on his face.
  “I see my fan club was as happy as ever to see me,” he said, grabbing my hand and kissing it as he had the night before.  I blushed slightly, as it was now daytime, and he could see me and my reactions more clearly.
  “You look lovely today,” he said, smiling, making me blush more.
  “So, do you work here then?” I asked glancing at the rake. 
  Sam nodded.  “Just for some extra cash while it’s here.  I have an expensive hobby.”
  When I gave him a questioning look, he glanced towards the parking lot. 
  “I have a 1967 Shelby Cobra, I won’t bore you with the details, but she’s an expensive keeper.  A beaut though.  You’ll have to come for a ride sometime.  Maybe she’ll take us to a dinner?”
  At first I didn’t realize he was asking me out, but then blinked, and clued in.  My face went red as I tried to smile.
  “Yes, maybe she will,” I agreed, willing my voice not the squeak.
  “I’m thinking tomorrow night?  Seems those three have your attention today.”
  “I’ll… Call you,” I said, without giving an answer.  Sam chuckled as if he was very confident that I’d say yes, but to be honest, I wasn’t quite sure what I was going to do.  Kieran’s face kept flashing through my mind, making me feel a little guilty.
  “I better get back to the others before they start thinking you’ve kidnapped me or something,” I said,  beginning to walk away.  Sam called out though, stopping me.
  “Hey Naia?  Remember that there are always two sides to a story.”  And then he was the one who walked away, leaving me standing there, wondering, not only what his side was, but what Kira, Luka, and Jake’s side was as well.

----

So, this is sort of a filler chapter, hopefully next chapter will be more exciting :) 

Either way, comment and vote <3