Chapter 16

Chapter 16

    When I next woke up, I was laying on my side in a hospital bed.  Kieran had fallen asleep sitting on a chair pulled up next the bed with his head laying on his arms on the bed.  One hand was clutching mine.  I rolled onto my back slowly, trying not to wake Kieran, and looked around the room.  There were a bunch of flowers situated around the room, all with notes attached to them.  I caught sight of Jamie sitting in the corner, also sound asleep.  Aside from those two, however, there was no one else waiting on me to wake up.  I vaguely wondered where my mom was.

  Or if they’d told her what had happened.

  What had happened?  I glanced at my bandaged arm, and raised my free hand up to feel a bandage on my head also.  It all came rushing back, and I sucked in a breath, trying to hold back tears.  Unfortunately, that woke Kieran up.  His head shot upwards and met my eyes, his full of concern. 

  “Naia?” he asked in a husky voice that pointed towards a lack of sleep.

  I nodded, and the tears began to flood over.  He grabbed my face and wiped the tears away as they fell with his hands.  Then he kissed them, holding me close.

  “She’s awake?” Jamie asked, waking up and jumping to his feet.  He ran over to the bed and stood on the opposite side of it that Kieran was on, leaning down and pulling me into a rib crunching hug.  I wheezed and pushed weakly against him.

  “Jamie… Choking…”  I breathed.  Jamie laughed in relief and let me go.

  “I’m just so happy that we found you in time,” Jamie admitted.  “The police released your kidnappers information on the news, and said some scary stuff.”  Then he smiled.  “They also thanked ‘whoever found Andrew, and called them’.  Although I think they might have been slightly unhappy about the whole situation.”

  “Well…  What did you tell mom?” I asked.

  “We told her that you fell down a hill,” Kieran replied, holding my hand.  “We didn’t want her to worry when she didn’t have to.”

  At that moment Sam walked in, my mother trailing behind.  When she saw me, her eyes opened wide and she bolted forward only to take me into yet another rib crunching hug.  I didn’t protest this time.   

  “Naia, Naia, I’m so glad you’re alright!” she cried, letting me go and looking me straight in the eyes.  “Next time, don’t go out on your own at night please, sweetheart?  What would have happened if Sam hadn’t stumbled along your unconscious body, and kept you at his place until he could figure out who you were?  Someone bad could have gotten to you first.”

  I couldn’t help but flush completely.  I hated lying to my mother, especially when it was something as serious as what had just happened.  Wait, just?

  “How long have I been sleeping?”  I asked, afraid of what the answer would be.

  “6 days,” Sam replied, frowning.  “The doctors weren’t very happy that we let you sleep with a concussion.”

  “6 days!”  I exclaimed.  “I’ve lost six days of my life?  And you all must have been worried sick.  I’m sorry.”

  Kieran kissed my hand and rubbed his thumb along my knuckles. 

  “Oh honey, it’s okay,” Mom said reassuringly.  “You’re awake now and that’s all that matters.  It could have been much much worse.”

  I had to agree with her there.  I could be dead, or raped, or beaten worse then I had been.

  Then suddenly the door to my room burst open again, letting in a bounding set of twins and Kira.  I was beginning to feel quite claustrophobic with all these people.  Was this even allowed?