Chapter 14

Chapter 14

  We left the fair not long after running into Sam.  It was around 3pm; we’d been there all day.  I’d gotten a few texts from my mom, asking how it was going, and even one from Jamie, mocking me for finally going out with friends.  I even got a text from Kieran, which I deleted without even reading. 
  We went back to the twins house to decide what to do next (the twins shared a car, which allowed us to go to these different places).  While we were waiting, however, I decided it was finally time to bring up the issue of Sam.
  “So,” I began, clearing my throat uncomfortably, “I already know you all hate Sam, but as much as you all have told me he’s bad news, you haven’t told me why…”
  The twins and Kira exchanged a concerned look, and looked back at me.  Kira spoke first.
  “It’s sort of complicated, and not something I like to tell people, but since Sam seems interested you, I guess we better tell her.”  Then she glared and Jake and Luka.  “You’d better help me.”
  They both whined, and Jake said, “But we don’t even want to be in the room when you talk about it, Kira!”
  “Stay, or I’m going to kick your asses,” Kira growled.  We were standing in the living room, so she walked over and sat on the couch, motioning for me to sit beside her.  Luka sat beside me when I sat down, and Jake sat on a chair beside the couch near to where Kira was sitting.
  “Well, it started with him and my brother being friends,” Kira began, sighing.  “Somehow they were best friends, even though, before everything happened, Sam was still kind of a jerk.  Anyways, they loved to bug me, and pull pranks on me.  They’d put buckets of water above doorways, tie strings in the doorways, so when I went through it felt like I was walking through a spider web.  At one point they decided to put my hand in warm water, and of course… You know…”
  “She wet herself!” Jake and Luka chimed in at the same time, picking up where Kira trailed off.  Then Jake continued, after receiving a dirty look from Kira, “Sam was a master of pranking, ingenious really.  We picked a few things up from him.  But anyways, first, Sam deceived Kira’s brother, by hurting his career very badly just to get himself higher up the social status, and richer.  Then, before Kira’s brother had the chance to tell Kira, Sam…”
  “Sam slept with me, stole my virginity, and then never spoke to me again,” Kira said bluntly.  At first  I didn’t quite understand the severity of what the three of them had just told me.  Then, when I finally did understand, my mouth fell open in shock.
  “He what!?” I exclaimed, suddenly feeling ice cold.  Sam had probably wanted to do that to me…  “That dirty little, son of a-”  Suddenly I realized what I was about to say and clamped my mouth shut.
  The twins looked satisfied, but Kira just looked…  Less spunky.  She looked slightly deflated actually.
  “Well, he asked me to dinner, I guess I know the answer I’ll give him to that now,” I said venomously, crossing my arms. 
  Everyone was in a bit of a sour mood after that, so I ended up heading home.  I was exhausted anyways.  Kira and the twins invited me for a sleepover though, which would take place two days from now, to make up for how this day had ended.  I was pretty excited, even though I felt a bit too old for a sleepover. 
  So I was back at home, holding my phone in one hand and Sam’s number in the other, sitting on my bed. I wanted to call him and demand an explanation, but then again, I didn’t want to hear it.  Plus, he’d probably have some genius excuse as to why he did it.
  I did owe him a phone call though.  To, at the very least, tell him that the dinner was a definite no.
  I was just beginning to dial Sam’s number when I got a text from Jamie.
  ‘Meet me at the your tree in 10, little sis,’ it said.  I was startled, and very confused.  Why was Jamie telling me to meet him at a place I don’t think I ever told him about?
  But I shook it off, and figured it must be important, or at least a prank, to which I’d have to tread carefully.  It was pretty late though; the sky was completely black, and there was a tiny sliver of the moon shining in it.  I threw on a coat (I was still wearing the same clothes I had been all day), told my mother, who was probably in the living room, since the TV was blaring, I’d be right back, and went outside.  I immediately took a deep breath of the nice, cool evening air, still wondering what Jamie could possibly be planning this late at night, at my tree… 
  When I neared the tree, I began walking slower, more carefully, looking all around me for signs of an ambush.  I caught sight of a hooded figure, leaning against my tree, keeping his face hidden.
  “Jamie, what exactly do you want?” I asked, walking closer.  “If this is another prank, I swear, I’ll get you back ten times worse, just for making me-”
  I was cut off when the figure I thought was Jamie walked forward and lowered his hood.
  “You!”  I exclaimed, backing away and preparing myself to run.  Just as I turned on my heel however, Kieran jumped forward and wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me backwards, and into his arms, a hand over my mouth.
  I struggled feebly, but was no match for his movie star strength.  I even attempted to bite at his hand, but somehow he managed to find a way to keep it away from my teeth, while still keeping me from screaming.  So in the end I whimpered a little and stilled.
  “This was the only way I had of getting you to talk to me,” Kieran whispered in the ear.  “If you promise not to scream or run away, and just listen, I’ll let you go.”  I growled, but nodded.
  Kieran sighed and removed his hand, but still kept his arms around my waist.  I had my back to him, and since I was still very mad at him, and completely hurt, I tried to pull his hands off me, but he turned me around instead, keeping his hands where they were.  We were way too close.
  “What are you doing?” I hissed, pushing on his chest.
  “I’m trying to explain myself,” Kieran answered, his brow furrowing in what I assumed was annoyance.
  “First explain why you had Jamie’s phone.”
  “That’s easy, I stole it while we were on set.”
  “He would have cancelled it once he found it missing.” I retorted.
  “He phoned it and I answered, and told him I’d give it back when I was finished with my plan.  He grudgingly agreed.  Can I please explain something that’s important?”
  “Since you won’t let me go, I guess I have to say yes,”  I replied venomously, keeping my face turned away from his, and my eyes closed.  I heard him sigh.  Kieran didn’t speak for a few moments, but I kept my eyes carefully averted. 
  When he did speak, he sounded slightly angry.  “You should be grateful, not pissed off!”
  “Grateful?” I said loudly, stunned.  “Why would I be grateful for you ripping my trust to shreds?”
  “Because I did it to protect you, Naia,” he whispered, voice calm again.  “Jenna wouldn’t give up ruining both of our reputations, and even Jamie’s, until you and I were apart, and I told the public I was with her…  I knew it would hurt you, but me hurting you was better than the world hurting you.”
  Finally, I looked at him, meeting his sad, pleading blue eyes.  I was immediately trapped in their depth as I once was before.
  “I… Can’t believe that,” I said, frowning.  “No one would ever do that for me.”
  “Well look again, because I would,”  Kieran said fiercely.  “I told you I’d be your friend no matter what, even if it meant becoming an enemy to protect you.”
  I shook my head, remembering what Kieran had said the day he broke my heart, and my trust.  Excuses were easily made, trust was not easily repaired.  “No, you’re lying.  This is just another challenge, to see how long it would take me to forgive you.  Or maybe you wanted to break my trust, and then see how fast you could get it back and sleep with me.  No, I won’t let that happen!”  Each word I said became louder and louder until I was nearly shouting the last one.  Kieran placed a hand over my mouth again, but he was so shocked that I easily was able to push away from him.
  “I wish I hadn’t chosen to say that,”  Kieran moaned.  “Naia, I’m so sorry.  I figured you’d believe me.  I didn’t realize how…  untrusting you were.  I need you to trust me now though.”  He started stepping forward, slowly, holding his hands out, as if to say he wouldn’t hurt me.  Then suddenly he lurched forward, grabbed my hands and latched his mouth onto mine. At first I gave into the kiss, forgetting for all the world that I was mad at him.  I wrapped my arms around his neck, and pressed my body to him, pulling him closer as heat burned through my body.  All the emotions I had been feeling turned into passion.
  Then suddenly, I realized what I was doing.  I shoved Kieran away with as much force as I could.  He stumbled away, panting, as I was. 
  “Don’t run away again, Naia,” he said, pleading with his eyes.  “That kiss proves that you still have some trust in me, and it proves that I wasn’t lying.  Come here, please.”
  “No,” I whispered before turning and running as fast as I could away from Kieran.  I didn’t even know where I was going, I just knew I had to get as far away from Kieran as fast as possible.  Tears poured down my cheeks as I ran blurring my vision.  Since I had gone running pretty much every day for 5 years straight, I was really fit, and could run forever.  So before I knew it, I was out of my neighbourhood  and running down the road.  And even there, I kept on running.  Soon, I was in the middle of nowhere, unsure of where to go next, and how to get back home.
  I felt slightly panicky, but then I remembered why I’d run, and calmed down a little when I realized if I couldn’t even find me, Kieran sure as hell couldn’t.  But I was out where anyone could see me and kidnap.  I was especially kidnap worthy if someone recognized me as Jamie Sloan’s sister. 
  Luckily, I had my phone on me. I didn’t want to call my mother, and couldn’t call Jamie, and I’d feel bad calling Kira. Sam’s number was still dialled into it, however, ready to be called.  He seemed like the type of guy to be up late, even if it were on a Sunday night, plus he had some explaining to do, and a car, so I pressed the call button, and waited while my cell phone began to call him.
  “Hello?”  a husky voice said on the other end.  He cleared his throat.
  “Hi, Sam?” I said, weakly.  “It’s Naia.”
  I waited while he cleared his throat a few more times.
  “Naia, why are you calling me so late?”  he sounded slightly concerned.
  “Well, you see, I’ve gotten myself into a bit of a mess,”  I mumbled, feeling a little bad.  It sounded like I’d woken him up.  “Sorry if I woke you, I’ll just…  Call someone else.”
  “No, you’ve got me on the line already, what’s up?”
  “That…  Guy you rescued me from the other night, sort of ambushed me, and upset me, so I ran, and now I’m in the middle of nowhere, on some road, and I don’t really know where to go, or how to get home.”  There were tears in my eyes at the end of my rambling, but I didn’t care.  I was starting to feel a bit scared. 
  The other end was quiet for a few moments.  “Is there anything significant where you are, a landmark I might be able to recognize?”  I looked around and saw a large rock with a bunch of graffiti on it.  I described it to him.
  “I know exactly where you are,” Sam said.  “I’ve drawn on that rock once.”
  Of course he would have…
  “I’ll come get you,” he announced, and I heard the sound of clothes rustling.  “Just stay by that rock, and I’ll be there in about 20 minutes.  Don’t leave it, I don’t want to need to search for you.”  He chuckled at the end to take the sting out of his words.
  “Okay,” I agreed.  I’d demand his explanation after he picked me up.  Although, with the stories I had heard about him today, I don’t know how safe I felt letting him pick me up. 
  The line went dead, and I felt very alone again.
  I received a few texts from Kieran, and a phone call or two, but I just ignored and deleted them all.  I was way to mad at him for trying to get me yet again.  I didn’t want anything to do with him ever again.  I should’ve known it was him who had texted me.  He was the only one who knew about my tree, and now I definitely regretted showing it to him, no matter how much I may have liked him at the time.
  About 10 minutes after Sam had left to come get me, I saw headlights.  At first I was surprised that Sam had made it so fast.  But then the car stopped, and it wasn’t the car he had described to me.  When the window opened, a man in his 40’s leaned over the seat.
  “Hey, honey,” he said, leering at me.  “What are you doing out so late?  Need a ride?”
  “Er no, thanks, a friend is picking me up,” I said, starting to shake.  A cold feeling crept up inside me; this man felt wrong.
  “Come on,” he insisted, “I have a daughter about your age, you don’t have to worry.  In fact, I’m on my way to see her.”
  “Oh?  What’s her name?”  I asked, hoping to keep him talking until Sam arrived.  I glanced from side to side, nervously.
  “Uhm, Carrie,” he replied.  I caught his hesitance though. 
  “Lovely name,” I said.  “How old is she?”
  “Old enough,” he said, and I watched him struggle with his annoyance.  “Come on sweet cakes, enough with the questions, come, get in, it’s okay.”
  “Er, no thanks, my friend will wonder where I am, and worry,” I said, beginning to back up as I watched him open the door to get out of his car. 
  “Well, I’ll just have to make you get in then,” he sneered, stepping around the car.  I took that moment to bolt.  Unfortunately, as I was running away from the road, I came to a hill.  My foot caught on something and I keeled forward, tumbling down the hill.  I came to a stop when I hit something hard, and then all I knew was black.

  ----

You guys are going to hate me for this cliffy, I just know it, but I quite liked this chapter.  If some of you didnt get the message I sent out, sorry I havent uploaded for two days, been stressed with my horse, who just got injured pretty bad.  I hope you all understand :)  This chapter is longer then the rest, if not by much, but enjoy.

Comment and upload :) <3