Wake up. ~ Daniel Ricciardo

The girl was a friend of Daniel's, they weren't that close, but they started to hang out more and more. Now they look like a couple and they can't be separated. It was a Friday evening and they were in Daniel's hotel room. "Oh come on! That was so unfair!" The girl next to him shouted at Daniel. "How am I supposed to know where you land, you're throwing the dices!" Daniel shouted back. "I'm not paying you $600." Daniel chuckled at her comment. "In that case I win." He smirked throwing all of the monopoly money in the air. "Ugh, you bastard." She pushed Daniel on the ground and started tickling him.

"O my god, n-no stop, please!" He giggled, moving around. She stopped now chuckling too and laid down on the ground next to him. "Hey, Dani?" She whispered. "Hm? What is it?" He reacted with a big smile on his face. "Can I stay here tonight?" She turned her head to look at him. "Yeah ofcourse, you're always welcome to stay. I'm guessing you want cuddles?" He looked to his side so they were looking at each other. "Yeah I'd like that."

Daniel stood up holding out his hand as she grabbed it. She stood up too and went to take a shower. Daniel cleaned up the game and started thinking. Why is it so hard to tell her? You don't wanna mess things up that's why. But what if they get better and you can call her yours? It won't get better, she'll hate you. "Penny for your thoughts?" He jumped at the sound of her voice. She was standing in some of his jogging pants and a hoodie that was way too big for her. "Nah it's just race things don't worry about it." He lied, pulling of his shirt and laying down in the bed.

He opened his arms as she snuggled into them. They fell asleep in each others embrace. The next morning Daniel woke up alone. There was no trace of her and he tried to text but her contact was not in his phone. When he arrived in the paddock she wasn't there either. His trainer, Michael, came towards him. "Why do you look so confused?" Daniel looked up at him. "Have you seen her? She was just gone this morning." Michael looked at him like he was crazy. "Who?" There was something really wrong.

Daniel pov
I started searching her name on the internet but it didn't have any results. I looked confused and checked all her socials. Gone. It's like she disappeared from the earth. Like she... never existed. I threw some water in my face and got into my car. It was race day anyway. My head was not there. In lap 32 my car slipped and I spun straight into the barrier. Everything was black. A loud beep filled my ears and my eyes wouldn't open. I could feel myself being lifted out of the car. I wanted to say something, but my mouth wouldn't open. Then in one sudden moment, I realized it didn't hurt... I just spun into the barrier at 300 km/h, my ears were ringing and I couldn't open my eyes, but it didn't hurt.

It felt like seconds when I heard a faint voice whisper "Wake up." I finally had the strength to open my eyes. I looked up at the ceiling, bright and white. Where was I? "O my god, Dan! Doctor! He's awake!" I could barely hear the shouts and couldn't place who it was. The same thoughts kept going trough my mind. Was she just a fantasy? Did she ever actually exist? What if I made it all up? I fully opened my eyes and saw I was in a hospital room. A doctor came over to me and started doing all kinds of checkups. "Welcome back Mr. Ricciardo." He gave me a faint smile. I looked to my right and there she was.

"You're here. You're real." I choked out. "Yeah of course I'm here Dan. Do you remember what happened?" She looked concerned. I shook my head. If her not existing was a dream, then so was the crash, right? "Dani... you had a crash. A really bad one. You spun into the wall. We thought you were dead. I- you were in a coma for 3 weeks..." My mind got blurry. Did everything happen out of order? I didn't understand anymore. One thing I did understand is that I woke up for a reason. "I love you. And not in a friend kind of way." I turned my head away, not wanting to look at her.

Her soft hand landed on my cheek as she turned my head back. "Daniel. I love you too, so much. When we heard you were in a coma, I thought I would never get to tell you." She slowly placed her lips on mine, as I smiled back. Our lips moved together, but after a bit my neck started to hurt. "As much as I really want to continue doing that, my neck is hurting a bunch." I chuckled.